PDA

View Full Version : PC 333 ROS making a noise

Dennis Peacock
02-14-2003, 9:18 AM
Well.....my PC333 ROS is making a wild noise every time I turn the "thang" on.!!!:confused:

The noise is coming from the bottom motor area and it "sounds" like the bearings are rattling on startup.....once it gets going the noise goes away. Any "eye-dears" on what I need to do if anything at all? I really don't want to have to buy a new one, but I don't want to pay a PC dealer the same or more than the price of a new one for repairs if needed.....

Any help or advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis

Chris DiCiaccio
02-14-2003, 10:00 AM
Dennis, I have a PC 335 (6 hole) It was making that same loud "ready to fly apart noise" and guess what? It did! The base came off of it. I took it to PC repair in Charlotte, NC and told them that though it was out of warranty I hadn't used it that much. They fixed it for nothing and mailed it to me- no shipping chg. You might want to take the pad off and look at the screws that hold the base on (mine had three screws). Hope you get it fixed. Be blessed.

Ted Shrader
02-14-2003, 10:52 AM
Dennis -

You are right about the bearing. Go to the nearest bearing supplier and get another sealed bearing - they are common size.

Replacement is easy. Three screws to get the H&L pad off. Another one to get the disc off. Drive out the old brearing press in the new. You're done!

Ted
(Owner of 2 PC 333s)

Dave Arbuckle
02-14-2003, 11:00 AM
Another cause beside the bearing is the anti-spinup rubber band. The last time my rubber band failed, the symptom was pretty much as you state.

Easy to check, take pad off, remove rubber band, put pad back on, see if noise remains. I had no end of trouble with that dang rubber band, finally got another brand ROS.

Dave

markus shaffer
02-15-2003, 2:30 AM
depending on how much wear the bearing has, you may not need to replace it. i have a 333 that has seen quite a bit of use over the past 4-5 years and i've just cleaned and repacked the bearing a couple times. if i remember correctly, after removing the pad (3 screws) take off the rubber band and there is a single allen key bolt in the center. remove that and the housing for the bearing comes out. the bearing is held in by a retaining clip, but it doesn't have to be removed to clean the bearing. i always leave the bearing inside the housing. anyway, the caps on the bearing on mine are rubber, so you can gently use a knife to pry them off. then spray the bearing out with a de-greaser and then repack it with new clean grease. be careful when putting the caps back on the bearing. if you push them in too tightly, it won't spin freely. this whole process shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. might be alot quicker and easier than a trip to the repair store.

good luck.

-markus