PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Black Marks

Harry Niemann
07-11-2008, 1:10 PM
Has anyone found a way to avoid black marks on your workpiece from aluminum tables? Most waxes or sprays leave a residue on the wood which can interfere with finishes later.

Brian D Anderson
07-11-2008, 1:46 PM
They do?? And if they do, don't you end up sanding your piece before you finish it anyway?

-Brian

Bill Wyko
07-11-2008, 2:11 PM
You might check into anodizing the piece.

Bruce Page
07-11-2008, 2:13 PM
Anything with Silicone is bad, very bad.
I've been using Johnson's Paste Wax since my first tablesaw purchase. I have never had any issues reguarding finishing.

Mike Goetzke
07-11-2008, 2:20 PM
The black is due to the oxidation. When I had an aluminum top TS I used to clean it with an aluminum cleaner like Mother's (found at the auto parts store) then finish up with some paste wax.

Mike

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-11-2008, 3:23 PM
Yes. Send it out and have it Anodized at any Metal treatment company.

Tell 'em any Mil Spec they have handy will be fine you don't care about color, clear is great & so is hardcoat. Maybe they will toss it in at the end of a run and charge you less.

If you are lucky you'll end up with Hardcoat. It is scratch proof and a superb bearing surface.

Peter Quinn
07-11-2008, 6:54 PM
Every surface in my shop is either anodized(router table) or cast iron (everything else). All are coated with well buffed johnson's bowling alley paste wax. I've never had an issue with finishing caused by wax transfer from a machine surface.

I'd have the raw aluminum anodized or get rid of it. Big PIA IMHO, not a great work surface for wood.