PDA

View Full Version : Anyone attending the Atlanta IWF show in August?

Harley Reasons
07-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Just signed up for the IWF show in Atlanta, anyone else going? If so, we could get a Creeker walk through group together.

Jim Becker
07-11-2008, 10:26 AM
I truly wish I could attend, but it's not in the cards for me this year. Excellent show. Wear very comfortable shoes, Harley...you will be doing a LOT of walking as the show takes up the entire Georgia World Congress Center and that's like, well...major big.

Harley Reasons
07-11-2008, 10:30 AM
I truly wish I could attend, but it's not in the cards for me this year. Excellent show. Wear very comfortable shoes, Harley...you will be doing a LOT of walking as the show takes up the entire Georgia World Congress Center and that's like, well...major big.
Yeah it is major major HUGH, I've been to tradeshows down there before and your right, it is a WHOLE lot of walking. They have a great event planer on the IWF website so you can choose the vendor/products you want to see and it prints out a list in numerical booth order.

Jim Becker
07-11-2008, 10:34 AM
It's good to make a plan to be sure you don't miss any vendors you are really interested in, but be sure to build in a lot of time just to oogle...you will see industrial stuff that is bigger than your house and it's quite interesting. I even found the gazillion hardware vendors to be interesting despite having to practically run through the facility in order to see it all.

Tony Cox
07-11-2008, 10:38 AM
I am going to be in Madison GA the following weekend on vacation. Guess it just isn't in the cards for me to attend.

John Thompson
07-11-2008, 11:31 AM
At this point Harley.. I will probably be there on all the days. I am retired as of last October, but with the economy in the state it is.. I am considering taking a part time job but am very selective about what I would be willing to take. But.. barring that.. family medical prolems.. etc. etc.. I fully intend to be there as one of the vendors called about a week ago and informed me that I am on their guest list. I believe when they pay for space.. they get so many guest passes and I was fortunate enough to be added.

Enjoy and Jim pretty much outlined details. The vendors spaces have narrow aisles between and to see them all you will literally walk many.. many miles to view all. The Georgia World Congress Center is huge as you know.. but when you creat small highways up and down the floor space itself... it gets much larger than it actully is and you know just how huge a building it is to start with.

It would be almost impossible to see all in one day.. two if you hustle and three would be more in tune with reality to see all. But it is the show of all shows and you won't regret having made the trip I can assure you!

Latter...

Sarge..

Jeff Duncan
07-11-2008, 5:37 PM
I was looking forward to going as I've heard it's much bigger than the local trade show that comes to Hartford every other year. Unfortunately business has been lagging this summer so no trips for me. I'm hoping things pick up this fall, then maybe I can hit the Vegas show next year:D
have fun,
JeffD

Harley Reasons
07-11-2008, 9:44 PM
At this point Harley.. I will probably be there on all the days. I am retired as of last October, but with the economy in the state it is.. I am considering taking a part time job but am very selective about what I would be willing to take.

Sarge..
Know what you mean on the PT job. I retired from TVA in 99 and had a couple of my own businesses and then when I sold the last one I went to work at the HD BORG. I enjoy it since I get to work in the Hardware Dept. I get to see all the new stuff that comes in. Also get 1st dibs on anything we put on clearance. Plus the pay ain't bad for a PT job here in Podunk, AL.

I'll PM you my cell number and you can give me a call Friday or Sat and we'll meet up for a cup of coffee.

Mike Heidrick
07-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Me and my buddy Gary will be there. Coming down Wednesday and leaving Sunday.

John Thompson
07-12-2008, 12:24 AM
:)I sent you a PM Harley as I just read yours. I don't come up from the shop before mid-night on week nights usually. Do you want me to call tomorrow (Friday is gone bye-bye ) or were you referring to the week of the actual show?

Let me know as I can do it either way.

Sarge..

John Thompson
07-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Mike.... give Harley or myself a PM a little closer to the show and maybe we can arrange a hook-up in advance. Once you get in that monster... it's hard to find someone if you don't know your way around. This building is massive and I mean massive with the whole thing filled for that show.

Regards...

Sarge..

Lee Koepke
07-12-2008, 10:10 AM
I am hoping to go a couple of days. It may be hard for me to take time off work, but I would like to show up.

If I do, I will let you know Sarge, and maybe I get to say HI !!!

larry cronkite
07-12-2008, 5:43 PM
Well I'm pretty re-new to woodworking but since I'm living in the Atlanta area, I just signed up for the show and also became an SMC contributor (I've learned a lot in the last few months from you guys). Don't know if these old feet will last for 3 days but I plan on attending for at least one day.

Jack Camillo
07-12-2008, 6:23 PM
I was considering trying to find a food vendor at the convention center and seeing about reserving a "stamtishce" (sp, only remember how it sounds from days in Germany), and posting a sign "Sawmill Creek." This way, anyone walking up to the table knows that whoever is sitting there is a creeker, and can introduce oneself, etc. Any thoughts? Or maybe the creek administrators would prefer setting this up. I personally, would enjoy meeting up with creekers at the show. I'm checking into award travel, and if I can get a free flight (using miles) and hotel (using hotel points), I'm there. Would have liked to do the berea thing, but too far out of the way with flights and cars, etc. (hint to the organizers of that)

John Thompson
07-12-2008, 9:13 PM
Leo and Larry.. hope to see you there as anyone of us planning now can have a change of direction as work.. family affairs.. etc. change from day to day.

Jack... you should probably get with the site administration and see what they think... but keep us posted if that matures and if you can make contact with a vendor. I know one that might be interested... but would have to ask if they have the space to do so. Space comes at a premium at that show.

Sarge..

Dave Laird in NM
07-31-2008, 2:34 PM
I will be there working in the Woodworker's Supply booth number 6885.

I would like to see anyone that could come by our booth.

Belinda Barfield
07-31-2008, 2:37 PM
I hope Nancy and your daughter a doing well.

I am planning, at this point, to attend the show and will be sure to stop by and say hello.

Harley Reasons
07-31-2008, 2:39 PM
I will be there working in the Woodworker's Supply booth number 6885.

I would like to see anyone that could come by our booth.

Thanks Dave, I've added you to my IWF Event Plan

John Thompson
07-31-2008, 3:16 PM
I'll see ya and am looking forward to doing so, Dave. I may start another thread here about IWF but want to check with Adminastrators before I do.

Will you be there the week before setting up the Woodworker's Supply booth or you guys planning to do that on Monday? If you are I will see ya before the show.

Regards...

Edit to change to Woodworker's Supply as I mistakenly typed Woodcraft. Sorry to those at WS.

Sarge..

Belinda Barfield
07-31-2008, 3:17 PM
Too bad Sawmill Creek doesn't have a booth, I bet they would get lots of new members, and we could all meet up there.

John Thompson
07-31-2008, 3:45 PM
Too bad Sawmill Creek doesn't have a booth, I bet they would get lots of new members, and we could all meet up there.

I don't know if you read my message to Dave I just posted Belinda... but your wish may be more than a wish if approved by the adminastrators. I just PM'd Kieth Outten asking permission as the rest of the foot-work was just finalized with a phone call an hour ago.

So.. sit tight and watch any thread about IWF concerning Round-a-vue at IWF....

Regards for the day, ma'am....

Sarge..

Belinda Barfield
07-31-2008, 4:18 PM
I don't know if you read my message to Dave I just posted Belinda... but your wish may be more than a wish if approved by the adminastrators. I just PM'd Kieth Outten asking permission as the rest of the foot-work was just finalized with a phone call an hour ago.

So.. sit tight and watch any thread about IWF concerning Round-a-vue at IWF....

Regards for the day, ma'am....

Sarge..

Thank you kindly for all your efforts, sir. I did not see your post. I posted at 3:16 and your post was at 3:17, so maybe they crossed somewhere out there in cyberspace. I will stay tuned with great anticipation.

David Schnegg
07-31-2008, 4:28 PM
I'm interested in attending the show, but looking at the registration form, it looks like it's only for members of the industry and not serious hobbyists like myself.

John Thompson
07-31-2008, 4:42 PM
I'm interested in attending the show, but looking at the registration form, it looks like it's only for members of the industry and not serious hobbyists like myself.

Not so, David. It is actually geared toward members of the industry. Manufacturers from all over the world show up for the IWF every two years to show their wares to the industry. It will be Las Vegas next year as Atlanta and Las Vegas alternate.

But... even though aimed at the industry that does not exclude hobbiest as you and I. All the machines and more are there from around the world in one spot to compare. You will see New introductions to a vendors line introduced or "un-veiled" at the show as that is a big event and most of those newbies are kept hush-hush to not spoil the "un-veiling"

So.. as a hobbiest you and I can benefit as this show is somewhat of a education in itself. You may not be interested in purchasing a machine the size of your home that takes a log in and the log comes out a totem pole or architecural column... but it's an education just to see them do it in 5 minutes with computer operated cutters that somehow just know what they are doing.

So... hope that helps...

Sarge..

Belinda Barfield
07-31-2008, 4:55 PM

David,

I think you would really enjoy the show. Just think about all the neat hand tools that will be on display. Many times you get a great price on show items. Also, think of all the things Woodworker's Supply sells, they're not all just used in the industry but also by hobbyists like us. Go through the list of vendors and see how many names you recognize. C"mon, it'll be fun!

David Schnegg
07-31-2008, 5:22 PM
I think my post was not clear. I would like to go, but according to the IWF website this convention is not open to the public...

"Is IWF open to the public?
No. IWF is open only to industry trade, professionals, and serious woodworking enthusiasts."

I guess I fall in the serious enthusiast category. So if I leave the company information blank on the registration form... I will still be able to attend?

John Thompson
07-31-2008, 5:41 PM
I think my post was not clear. I would like to go, but according to the IWF website this convention is not open to the public...

No. IWF is open only to industry trade, professionals, and serious woodworking enthusiasts."

I guess I fall in the serious enthusiast category. So if I leave the company information blank on the registration form... I will still be able to attend?

Ahhhhh.. a minor point I had forgotten as the show is only every two years.

I can't remember the exact answer to that question so I suggest you do s most other hobbiest as we do... you enter your company name and fill out what else they want.

You do run Schnegg's Custom Cabinets in Orlando don't you? Hmmmm.. I thought so. So... time's a wasting Mr. President of Schnegg's Custom Cabinets. How many employee's?... how many are in your house-hold...

You get the drift...? :D And two years you will get e-mails at your Schnegg's Custom Cabinet e-mail (that co-incidentally might be the same as home) inviting you to pre-register and attend again.

Once you pick up tickets and idenify as so and so of Schnegg's Custom Cabinets.... you walk in the door and act just like you were David Schnegg the notorious hobbiest from Orlando. You know... I think he actually knows that D. Schnegg of Schnegg's Custom Cabinets but once in the door it really matters not.

Just enjoy.... :)

Sarge..

Mike Heidrick
07-31-2008, 8:09 PM
I gave them $15 and they sent me my pass. I said I was Mike of Heidrick Woodworks and I am the only employee in my shop. All true. Fill out the form - they just want $15.

That or get some passes from Grizzly or Freud or whoever is giving them out on the forums today.

Harley Reasons
07-31-2008, 8:20 PM
Porter Cable was giving out passes but the deadline was 7/25 for guest registration, so if you know someone who has guest passes that you don't have to register for, then your in luck. Otherwise, it's give them the money and get your pass. I think the price has went up since the 25th, it's now $25.00

A question for previous attendees; Can you take a roll-a-round brief case in with you to put literature in. I know at most trade shows you can, but each has it's own set of rules. I went to a food trade show in New Orleans a few years ago and they would not allow any kind of push or pull cart or bag. You had to tote everything around. Course once you got to the liquor & beer distributors it didn't matter. Mixed drinks, cold draft and skimpy string bikinis has a way of making an old man forget his aching arms and tired feet.

Nancy Laird
07-31-2008, 9:04 PM

The "public" they are talking about is the lookie-loos who cruise the weekend papers trying to find something to do on Saturday afternoon and might end up at a craft show or something similar. They want people to pre-register and get badges for the show, and the higher admission price discourages mom, dad, and the four kiddies (two in the stroller) from even attempting to go. The AWFS in Vegas is the same way.

As far as I know, the IWF doesn't ban roll-arounds - I know AWFS does not.

David Schnegg
08-01-2008, 9:27 AM
Thanks for the information everyone... I'm excited to go to this show...

I'll see you at the Steel City booth Sarge!

harold brock
08-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Harley,

I am planning on going to the show on Sat, Aug 23. If that works for you, let me know, I would love to meet some fellow SMCers

Nancy Laird
08-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Hubby (David Laird) will be working in Woodworkers's Supply booth number 6885. Stop by and see him and give him a hassle for me. (I won't be there.)

John Thompson
08-01-2008, 10:59 AM
There is an official meeting point listed on top of the menu with Administrative announcements.. but please be sure to drop by to meet David at the Woodworker's Supply booth as we need to keep an eye on him with "Miss Nancy" back in New Mexico.

Yep... we'll be watching ya Dave.. :D

Just kiddin' of course....

Sarge..

Nancy Laird
08-01-2008, 2:27 PM
There is an official meeting point listed on top of the menu with Administrative announcements.. but please be sure to drop by to meet David at the Woodworker's Supply booth as we need to keep an eye on him with "Miss Nancy" back in New Mexico.

Yep... we'll be watching ya Dave.. :D

Just kiddin' of course....

Sarge..

Someone needs to keep an eye on him! You never know what he'll do when I'm not around. :D:D Miss Pittypat's is a favorite destination of his in Atlanta, so if anyone is there for an overnight, it's a great place to have dinner.