PDA

View Full Version : Check the bottom of your glue jug for sediment

Mitchell Andrus
07-11-2008, 8:31 AM
I got to the bottom of a gallon jug and though that it was a bit heavy after draining the last of the glue out of it. It was caked with about 1/4" of solids - the stuff that should have been put to work... y'know, holding things together.

That didn't happen in the 2 months I owned it. I know because I asked the store to check another jug on the shelf and sure enough it had the same problem but had been delivered at the store only 2 weeks earlier. Gotta wonder how old some of our most trusted materials are....

Let's all remember to stir up the good stuff at the bottom once in a while.

Jeff Duncan
07-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Nah, there's always a layer left at the bottom. You have to remember even if the store only had it for several weeks, it may have sat on the factory floor for several weeks, and then at a distribution plant for a few more....you get the idea.
Wouldn't waste the time even worrying about it, toss it and start on the new gallon. Trying to stir that stuff will just use up a lot of time you could be doing other things.
good luck,
JeffD

Bob Wingard
07-11-2008, 10:41 AM
If it's Titebond brand, you can tell the date of manufacture bu the small code date printed on the container. The first digit, a number signifies the year of manufacture .. the second digit a letter designates the month i.e. 1=JAN 2=FEB 3=MAR etc.

I bought some at Lowes the other day and it is marked 8E or MAY 2008 so it looks like the distribution gets out there pretty quickly.