PDA

View Full Version : Carving the old school way.

Steve Vaughn
07-10-2008, 4:23 PM
I remembered today that I have something that was "carved" (more like whittled) by my Grandpa in 1931 and marked as such. He was a carpenter/builder by trade. It's not real refined but I like it. It's about 4 inches long.

Steve

Clara Koss
07-10-2008, 7:44 PM
cute...love that you have this from your grandpa... what is it???? :confused:

Joe Petersen
07-10-2008, 9:01 PM
Looks like a miniature ball bat. Knuckle twister - tire thumper.
My question is what was the old school technique? Would have to be a drawknife.

Steve Vaughn
07-10-2008, 10:32 PM
cute...love that you have this from your grandpa... what is it???? :confused:

It's a miniature baseball bat. The writing on it is his according to my father. My Grandpa was around 18 when it was made. It's kind of funny because as far as I know he never played sports.

Looks like a miniature ball bat. Knuckle twister - tire thumper.
My question is what was the old school technique? Would have to be a drawknife.

I'm pretty sure he just whittled it with a pocket knife. His tools are pretty basic carpentry tools. I have most of them and a few of his pocket knives (wore the blades down to nubs).

Steve

mike holden
07-11-2008, 9:32 AM
Steve, Was he a fisherman? My uncle had a similar bat that he used to kill the fish he wanted to keep.
Mike

Clara Koss
07-11-2008, 1:07 PM
:rolleyes:well maybe someone was bothering him and he wanted to sock him in the head!!!!so he made a small bat that he could carry around easily!!!! that's a good story right???:rolleyes:

Steve Vaughn
07-12-2008, 1:19 AM
Steve, Was he a fisherman? My uncle had a similar bat that he used to kill the fish he wanted to keep.
Mike

He was a fisherman but this bat is only about 4" long so I don't think it would do him any good. He probably just whittled it for something to do. He was a country boy from South Carolina.

Steve