View Full Version : Raised panel doors w/Dowelmax?

Brian Penning
07-10-2008, 1:40 PM
Using my Dowelmax to make some raised panel cupboard doors and was wondering what the best method is to do the grooves on the rails and stiles that receive the panel.
How do you not have the groove slot show where the rails and stiles join? I usually use the tablesaw when doing the "old" haunched tenon method.
Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Brent Smith
07-10-2008, 4:03 PM
Hi Bri,

Use a plunge router set up with stops on the work piece, or a jig. You can also use a router table and drop the piece onto the bit (carefully of course with the other end supported), or you can use a slot cutting bit in a router table. The one thing you don't want to do that was suggested to you on another forum is to drop the rail/stile onto a spinning tablesaw blade...Sawstop or not, that's just plain nuts!!!!

Peter Quinn
07-10-2008, 7:33 PM
I guess I'm wondering why not include the stub tenon even when using the dowels instead of a regular tenon? It adds a lot of strength and aids in alignment if milled accurately.

If it must be avoided I think the above cover all my ideas for a stopped groove.

Ron Dunn
07-11-2008, 12:39 AM
I use dowelled joints (Dowelmax) on every framed panel I make.

Until now I've been using a router table, but controlling the initial plunge and the start/end of the cut has always been bothersome. I'm now thinking about using a dual-sided router fence on a hand-held router, just haven't decided which fence.