PDA

View Full Version : Scratch-n-dent Steel City Cabinet Saw Advice?

Danny Thompson
07-10-2008, 12:55 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a scratch-n-dent Steel City 35618 3hp cabinet saw at about half price of new? No warranty.

Does anyone have experience with scratch-n-dent Steel City's. Advice?

Matt Meiser
07-10-2008, 2:08 PM
No scratch and dent Steel City experience, but basically you are buying a used machine. Go in with the same caution you would buying any other used machine and you should be fine. 1/2 price is a good price assuming there's no major issues. I wouldn't be surprised to have to take care of a few small things at that price, just like if I was buying anything else used.

Justin McCurdy
07-10-2008, 2:32 PM
If you are getting it from SC there should be a warranty. There was with the 20" BS I bought from them. Give a good look, watch it run, see it they will let you run a couple boards or have them do it.

Peter Quinn
07-10-2008, 7:49 PM
No warranty? Who is the vendor? Factory authorized sales of cosmetically damaged machines usually offer a full factory warranty on mechanical parts. Shady vendors trying to offload junk that broke while falling off a truck often offer no warranty, or are trying to resell broken goods for which the manufacturer has already compensated them.

I'd want a good look at that tool and a good explanation from the vendor, two or three times I'd want to hear the story to make sure it doesn't change.

Denny Rice
07-11-2008, 12:08 AM
Even when I have purchased reconditioned tools from a dealer it has atleast a 90 day warranty. I would be kinda skidish about no warranty at all when SC offers a 5 yr. warranty on every machine they sell. I would research it a little more, or even call SC and ask them........:rolleyes:

John Thompson
07-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Scratch and dent Steel City Tools are sold to an independent salvage source at basically $.30 - $.40 on the dollar. Steel City files off the serial number and takes off the name-plates to eliminate liability issues and they have no intention of warranting the machine as they consider it no theres at that point. Hence the reason they sell it $.40 on the dollar of their cost.

Most have just minor damage that can be fixed easily.. but it would be best to look first. I am looking for a scratch and dent Steel City 5 HP TS at the moment and have been for several months. But... I would physically look at it in advance of purchase to make sure it is minor damage.

If you want a 5 Year Warranty.. you purchase a new machine. And there is a big differecn in "scratch and dent" sold for salvage and factory re-conditioned.

Sarge..

Danny Thompson
07-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the advice, all. I think Sarge's response hits my situation square on.

The saw in question was not being offered by Steel City, but by a third party. I was not aware that the nameplate and serial numbers might be removed. So I will confirm that and then carefully consider my options.

John Thompson
07-11-2008, 12:01 PM
It might be a good deal depending on which model and retail price, Danny. If you can get it new with just minor damage 1/2 the price of new is not bad.. even without warranty a little can really go wrong if it was OK when you inspected it.

Most of those just have dent in the base housing.. broken motor covers.. etc. etc.. What you don't want is a broken trunnion or some major damage to a vital component. At the right price even that would not be all that bad as Steel City will sell you the replacement parts... but if you paid too much under those condition to start with, the cost may put it above a good one being sold as used with wear from mileage.

Again I would just look and see as having the serial number plate taken off won't affect the actual usage. And BTW.. if you have seen the massive trunnions on a Steel City TS and the way they are placed.. I doubt very seriously that it has broken trunnions as that would take some major, direct impact to break those puppies.

Good luck and if you run into a SC 5 HP or SC 12" saw.. give me a PM as I would love to find one. Both are not as likely to be found scratch and dent as the main market is 3 HP.

Sarge..

Randal Cobb
07-12-2008, 1:36 AM
I bought one of those (35-640) and it's only got a small scratch on the front. Aside from that I couldn't find a single other problem with it. Trunions are solid and true, as is the top. Holds alignment WAAAAY better than my old POS "benchtop" saw. I did have one very small problem... I even called SC's tech support line, told them it was an S&D unit, and they still helped me. With service like that, I'll not buy another brand of equipment, scratch and dent or otherwise.

I think I may know where you are getting it from, and don't worry... the source is honest and up-front and won't try to screw you. I even got one of the 14" granite top bandsaws from the same source. And I'm waiting to hear availability of a 2hp DC unit, a drum or wide belt sander, and a bench mortiser. PM me if you want to compare sources.

I sort-of look at it this way... no warranty is no biggie for me. I purchased the unit at just a few dollars over half of street price, so, even if I DID have to replace something expensive in the next 5 years, like the motor, I'm still way ahead of what it would have cost me new.

Joe Meazle
07-12-2008, 1:59 AM
Danny,
Is this in Memphis? any other stuff? I have a good table saw but might want to take a look at soem other stuff the next time I cross the river.
Thanks,
Joe

Danny Thompson
07-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Will do, John. Randall and Joe, you should receive PMs from me with some details.

Don Bullock
07-14-2008, 12:55 AM
It all depends on what's scratched or dented. Carefully examine everything inside and out. Have the saw demonstrated to make sure that it runs correctly.

Joe Meazle
07-14-2008, 6:25 PM
Danny,
PM back to you. Hope it helps.