PDA

View Full Version : turning chisles source

Ron Bontz
07-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Just a quick question. What are some good sources to find reasonable prices on bowl turning chisels and a strong hold or talon chuck. Most of the ones I have seen seem to have the same prices. I am looking at Crown, Sorbey, etc. Also , is there an advantage to a fingernail vs a standard bowl gouge? Thanks for tolerating my ignorance in this matter. I have the technology just not the brains.:)

Cyril Griesbach
07-10-2008, 1:28 PM
Ron, Crown and Sorby have good turning tools and I own some. However, my "go to" tools are now the ones I've gotten from Doug Thompson and Thompson Lathe Tools mostly because they stay sharper longer. You can Google your way to his site. Doug is a really nice guy and if you don't like his tools he'll buy them back from you. Nobody else does that. Thompson tools come unhandled and you can turn your own handles or buy them. Dave Peebles makes a very nice handle at a very reasonable price. I know both of these gentlemen but I have no affiliation with their businesses. I'm simply a satisfied customer.

As far as grinds go there are as many answers to that as there are turners but most experienced turners use several different grinds as needed based on the shape of the project. However I think you will find the fingernail grind to be the most used. The standard grind works best in the transition from the side to the bottom of a bowl.

Cyril

Gordon Seto
07-10-2008, 1:34 PM
If you Club belong to the "club discount program" at Hartville Tools, you can get 20% off (free shipping with $75 purchase)
Hartville Tool (http://www.hartvilletool.com/index.php)

On turning tools, you may want to look at Thompson Tools.
Thompson Lathe Tools-FAQ (http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/faq.asp)
You will get better quality tools for less money than the brands you mentioned.
The fingernail grind is more versatile.

Bernie Weishapl
07-10-2008, 6:15 PM
Thompson tools are excellent tools. Great price and you don't have to sharpen as often.

robert hainstock
07-10-2008, 8:49 PM
Thompson tools are #1 in my book. I ave also been using some Benjamen's best, (PSI) lately. with good sucess. :)
Bob

Pete Jordan
07-10-2008, 9:03 PM
I just ordered another Thompson tool.

They are great!

Steve Schlumpf
07-10-2008, 9:30 PM
Ron - Another vote for Thompson tools! I also agree with Gordon on his suggestion of Hartville Tools. They offer discounts to turning clubs - if that helps. If not, they do have sales and I believe they have the cheapest base price for a Talon chuck. Check them out here: http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11552

Maylon Harvey
07-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Thompson. I had 3 and just bought 5 more from him at the symposisum in Virginia and am planning on getting more.

Ron Bontz
07-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the info. I have spindle tools but no bowl or hollowing tools yet. Just trying to gather items for the fall/ winter season. I like having things ready to go when I need them. :)

Jim Becker
07-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Packard Woodworks is generally my choice for these things. And their house brand tools are very nice and great quality.