PDA

View Full Version : Mixing hard and soft maple in a project...

Michael Donahue
07-10-2008, 9:40 AM
I used each for separate things, but I was wondering if anyone would notice if you used them both in the same project :confused: I have a bunch of red maple that I want to use with some maple ply to build a medicine cabinet, but the crown I want to use I can only get locally in hard maple. I was also thinking about using quartersawn stock for the doors, which again only comes in hard maple.

I don't have any hard maple around to compare so I seek your wisdom! :D

Mark Valsi
07-10-2008, 10:09 AM
try to "practice" finish a small piece of each type. Then compare them. Your eyes will guide you.

Dave Tinley
07-10-2008, 10:22 AM
I used each for separate things, but I was wondering if anyone would notice if you used them both in the same project :confused: I have a bunch of red maple that I want to use with some maple ply to build a medicine cabinet, but the crown I want to use I can only get locally in hard maple. I was also thinking about using quartersawn stock for the doors, which again only comes in hard maple.

I don't have any hard maple around to compare so I seek your wisdom! :D

Michael-
You didnt say, but are you going to stain the project? And your worried that the stain wont match??

jason lambert
07-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Yea, stain absorbation might be different but depends on the stain you may be ok.

Craig D Peltier
07-10-2008, 11:40 AM
I used both on this project. The finisher sprayed lacquer with dye to match. Door panels and draw fronts are western. Frame is eastern. Legs and top Santos Mahogany.

Frank Drew
07-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Michael,

Mixing woods in a project is fine, within reason, as long as you do it as Craig did -- all similar parts should the same wood (all the frame parts one wood, panels another, etc.) And quartered stock is excellent for door frames, especially if the panels are figured.

Jeff Duncan
07-10-2008, 1:42 PM
It depends on the specific stock you get. I've read posts in the past that some guys get soft and hard maple that is almost identical. The wood I get up here in the Northeast definitely has a noticeable difference, and you wouldn't want to try and mix it if you need it to match. The hard maple is very clean and creamy colored, where the soft is more streaked and silvery.
good luck,
JeffD

Craig D Peltier
07-10-2008, 1:44 PM
It depends on the specific stock you get. I've read posts in the past that some guys get soft and hard maple that is almost identical. The wood I get up here in the Northeast definitely has a noticeable difference, and you wouldn't want to try and mix it if you need it to match. The hard maple is very clean and creamy colored, where the soft is more streaked and silvery.
good luck,
JeffD

I have seen in plywood from two different distributors the very light and the almost pink thats closer to western. Same as with hardwood wood just stay away from the light versions.

Rob Luter
07-10-2008, 4:57 PM
I used Hard maple for the bench top, bench aprons and the chops on this vise, then capped the vise with some soft maple. The appearance is quite a bit different (finished with BLO) Not neccessarily a bad different, but different.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=89362