PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove finish nail from M&T joint?

Josiah Bartlett
07-10-2008, 2:08 AM
I'm repairing some ancient window sashes on my house, and I found that somebody tried to repair a loose joint by sinking some 8 penny finish nails through it. The joints are out of position because the glazing cracked out, and I want to disassemble the sash and re-glue the joints to square before I fit them back into the casings. I already have the sashes out of the window and the glass out of the sash, and the old glue has already failed, so only the nails are holding the joint together. I can take my time on this because I have an extra sash fitted to the window.

What is the best way to remove these? I'm thinking about just driving them all the way through and filling the holes. The sashes are old growth fir, but they will be painted so nothing will really show. The main concern is that the wood is old and dry and prone to splitting, and I'm afraid if I try to drive the nails through I'm going to split the sash.

The other option I thought of is to use a plug cutter around the nail and pull it, then fill the hole with a dowel, which will also pin the joint.

Any better ideas? Is there a way to temporarily treat the wood to reduce the risk of a split, like steam or heat?

Any recommendations on glue? I'm thinking of using Titebond III, then West Marine penetrating epoxy to soak into the end grain and prevent cracks, with an oil base primer and exterior paint on top. The sashes aren't rotten but they are over 100 years old and exposed to the afternoon sun.

Mike K Wenzloff
07-10-2008, 2:44 AM
I once had to remove some nails in a similar situation. I bought some small steel tubing that the inside diameter was just a bit larger than the nail heads. Filed some teeth in them. Drilled right through and took the nail right with the plug.

The commercially available type was a bit larger than I wanted to use. However, the small one in the 3-piece set at Woodcraft would have worked just fine.

It was a very quick, good solution.

Take care, Mike

John Keeton
07-10-2008, 6:21 AM
Aside from the plug cutter idea, I would probably clamp a backer board to the sash, drive the nail on thru and into the backer board. Pull the board loose, and you can access the nail. Only problem may be when you pull the head on through. You could pull it far enough to clear the tenon, remove the stock, then clip the nail and drive it back through and drop the short remnant out the mortise. Without seeing it, don't know if this would work. Just some blind thoughts.

Josiah Bartlett
07-10-2008, 5:29 PM
The backer board sounds like a good idea. I'm going to try the plug cutter, I think. Then I'll just use the hole to pin the joint back together with a dowel.

Brian Hale
07-10-2008, 5:44 PM
Drive the nail in till it just break through the other side then use a nail set to drive it back in till the head is out far enough to pull it out. There is a very real danger of the nail head splitting the wood, or worse yet, taking a big chunk wood off the exit side. DAMHIKT

Brian :)

Warren Clemans
07-10-2008, 6:02 PM
Good for you for restoring the original sash. It drives me crazy to see people rip old windows out and replace them with abominable vinyl (or worse). The world looks much better through wavy 100 year-old glass!