PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a bowl gouge(newbie)low price

Jim Ketron
04-21-2004, 5:50 PM
Looking for a bowl gouge!
I was thinking 1/4 or 3/8 for the Jet mini everyone say's to stay away from the mini chisels. where to buy a good starter bowl gouge HSS with a good price any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated!
I orderd the 8pc set from HF to start out with and also orderd the oneway talon chuck. it came w/h 1x8tpi #2 jawset worm screw an I added the #1 jawset to go with it. I also got a free block plane to boot! I think if you buy $100 or more from Hartville tool Its free.
Jim

Scott Coffelt
04-21-2004, 5:56 PM
Try Penn State, they seem to have some pretty decent HSS tools. I bought the set for $60 and it is much better then the set I had before from Delta. I aso plan on buying some of the Benjimmens Best. I don't use mine enough to justify Crown or Sorby, but they are some of the best.

Dennis Peacock
04-21-2004, 6:33 PM
Harbor Freight has a decent set of HSS turning tools as a set for $39.95. This would be a good starter set without breaking the bank. ;)

It is much easier to learn to sharpen turning tools on less expensive tools that grinding up your Henry Taylor, Crown or other high end turning tools.

This way, you can work through the less expensive set, learn to sharpen and for sure find out which turning tools your will use the most of.

If you are bowl turning....try turning your own handle and order one of the HSS unhandled tools from Lee Valley. I have their 1/2" bowl gouge and made my own handle and it works as well if not better than my Crown bowl gouge and the price was less than $30 for the bowl gouge. ;)

Jim Becker
04-21-2004, 9:43 PM
The Artisan line available from Craft Supplies, Packard Woodwork's house brand, Sorby available "everywhere" are pretty good buys for beginners and experienced turners, alike. They are all reasonably priced, made of good HHS and have comfortable and well-made handles.