PDA

View Full Version : If you are running XP and Zonealarm

Ken Fitzgerald
07-10-2008, 1:01 AM
One of the latest Windows Update KB951748 when installed will result in an instant loss of Internet access.

I know. I updated my home computer this morning before leaving to work. Came home tonight, my business computer worked fine. My home computer wouldn't connect. After trying different ports on my hub, I tried a new Cat 5 ethernet cable...Contacted my cable provider.

You can set your Internet Security to Medium and go to the Zonealarm home page....technical support.

There is an update date 7/9/2008 with a temporary workaround.

It only applies to XP and ZoneAlarm. Users of Vista are not seeing the problem.

Good luck.

John Schreiber
07-10-2008, 2:01 AM
This hasn't hit me yet, but it may soon. I've been dissatisfied with ZA and plan to replace it when it expires. (I just checked, it expires in two days.) I had been so pleased with ZA, that I registered and got the Pro edition. Now ZA won't allow me to access my router settings without turning ZA off and rebooting.

What other firewalls do people recommend. I generally use freeware when I can.

Larry Browning
07-10-2008, 7:19 AM
This hasn't hit me yet, but it may soon. I've been dissatisfied with ZA and plan to replace it when it expires. (I just checked, it expires in two days.) I had been so pleased with ZA, that I registered and got the Pro edition. Now ZA won't allow me to access my router settings without turning ZA off and rebooting.

What other firewalls do people recommend. I generally use freeware when I can.
comodo firewall gets really good reviews. I have installed it on my daughters computer and it seems to work fine.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-10-2008, 9:12 AM
Uh guys......It's the Windows Update that interfers with ZoneAlarm.....

To me that's kinda like Vista that renders you peripherials useless?

Steve Schlumpf
07-10-2008, 9:40 AM
Ken - had the same problem! Didn't have another computer to check with - so did a restore and suddenly had access! Checked out Zone Alarm techinal info as per your suggestion and it seems the only fix action is to slide the security down to medium and delete the latest Windows security patch. Always something!

John Schreiber
07-10-2008, 9:43 AM
Uh guys......It's the Windows Update that interfers with ZoneAlarm.....

To me that's kinda like Vista that renders you peripherials useless?
Yes. If I had my druthers, I'd replace Windows rather than Zone Alarm, but since that's not practical, I'm looking for a replacement for ZA.

I keep thinking of going Linux, but even my geek friends have lots of trouble getting it to work.

David G Baker
07-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Ken,
I now have a Vista machine but the only time I had problems with XP and ZoneAlarm Security Suite was after a Windows XP update. It was a pain having to go through a lot of searching trying to find an answer to the problem, luckily I have a second machine that I could use to access the Internet to look for a fix-it.
I have had Vista for around 3 months now and the only problem I have found was having to find work around things to use my older hardware or not being able to use it at all and Vista not compatible with some of my older software. I am considering setting up a Virtual PC set up so I can experiment with installing some of my old stuff.

Steve Clardy
07-10-2008, 11:19 AM
One of the latest Windows Update KB951748 when installed will result in an instant loss of Internet access.

I know. I updated my home computer this morning before leaving to work. Came home tonight, my business computer worked fine. My home computer wouldn't connect. After trying different ports on my hub, I tried a new Cat 5 ethernet cable...Contacted my cable provider.

You can set your Internet Security to Medium and go to the Zonealarm home page....technical support.

There is an update date 7/9/2008 with a temporary workaround.

It only applies to XP and ZoneAlarm. Users of Vista are not seeing the problem.

Good luck.

So thats why I've spent over an hour today trying to get online :mad:

Windows did an update last night, I restarted and then went in last night.

I did all the settings checking, then shut off zonealarm just as a test, and I had access.

Mike Conley
07-10-2008, 12:36 PM
I called my wife at home and she said our computer will not connect so we are having the same problem.

I went to Zonealarm's website and they now have product updates available that are supposed to take care of the problem.