PDA

View Full Version : Torsion Box Assembly Table

Harley Reasons
07-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Started on my assembly table today. Using a modified version of the table that the Wood Whisperer (http://thewoodwhisperer.com/) built (Podcast Episodes 18 & 19). I downsized mine due limited space. He had built his appox 4' x 6', mine will be 4 ft square. It will also function as an outfeed table for my TS. There will be a 12" flip up shelf that will serve as the bridge between the TS and the assembly table. Here are a few pics of the the top build.

Dewey Torres
07-09-2008, 11:45 PM
I know it was a lot of work and you appear to have done a great job on it. The WW (I think) modeled his table from Davids Marks. He was a Marks student and they still remain great friends.
Dewey

Walt Caza
07-10-2008, 4:18 AM
Hi Harley,
Great job on the assembly table. I am sure you will put it to good use...

I sometimes feel that I spend more effort setting up shop than building
furniture in my shop. After every completed project, I swear to my
frustrated-yet-again-self...that I will NOT build any more projects
until I build a torsion box assembly table and a proper workbench.

I suspect I am not alone in all that... (anyone care to confess??)

Would you be so generous as to share with us a few details of your
torsion box? Looks to be 1/2" grid and skins with a 3/4" rim?
All MDF? Curious minds want to know how heavy she seems?

Every time I do another panel glue-up on my sagging old 4'x8' outfeed
table, I wish I had taken the time to build a t-box.
Good on ya for gettin' it done,
take it easy,
Walt
:)

Greg Cole
07-10-2008, 8:52 AM
Good start Harley. Looks like you will appreciate that one when it's done.

I will NOT build any more projects

I confess. I have about 120bf of 12/4 white oak for a proper bench top, just need to let it dry and get going on the proper bench. I have a plywood topped monster that is master of nothing and jack of all.
I did take time this spring to make a "finishing-assembly" table for use "for now" :rolleyes: ...for the assembly station.
Once the summer goes by the way side the bench is SUPPOSED to be the first project for the fall.

Cheers,
Greg

Harley Reasons
07-10-2008, 9:15 AM
Walt,
As I mentioned in my first post, I'm basically following the plans that The Wood Whisperer has in his podcast and downloadable plans. He covers the top and cabinet in episodes 18 & 19 podcasts.
Torsion Box (http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-18-assembly-table-torsion-box/)

John Thompson
07-10-2008, 10:57 AM
I keep one similar in the back shop standing on a wall. If my regular assembly table top isn't large enough.. I just put the larger surface on top. That one is very well built and should be no sag with all the re-enforcement. Should serve you well.

Sarge..

Douglas Brummett
07-10-2008, 4:06 PM
Walt,
As I mentioned in my first post, I'm basically following the plans that The Wood Whisperer has in his podcast and downloadable plans. He covers the top and cabinet in episodes 18 & 19 podcasts.
Torsion Box (http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-18-assembly-table-torsion-box/)

Grid and exterior faces: 1/2" x 3"ht mdf
Skins: 1/2" mdf
Edging: 3/4" hardwood
Assembly Surface: 1/8" hardboard

Looks like Harley's doesn't have the hardwood or hardboard yet ;)

John Perkes
07-10-2008, 5:35 PM
The torsion box looks great...but I really like the big smoker you have in your driveway. Nice!

But seriously, I have watched the woodwhispers torsion vids a couple times and I definitely need to get going on that project.

Harley Reasons
07-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks John, the big smoker was from another venture a few years ago, I competed in BBQ cookoffs in the Southeast and then opened a BBQ Joint for a few years. This was my first one and I kept it when I sold the business.

Anyway, I finally got to work on the table base last evening and today. Got the sides, middle and bottom panel cut out and dadoed. The cheap BORG "Cabinet Grade" plywood I cut for the bottom had a bow in it so I couldn't dado it on my TS and had to dado those with my router. The rest were flat enough to do on my TS. Got one end panel glued in place and the stretchers cut. I modified my plans and decided to add panels in the middle between the partitions to stiffen the whole unit up since it will be on casters. I also added a 4th stretcher to strengthen across the top of the cabinet.
Another mod was to replace the fixed shelf in the cabinet with and adjustable one. I drilled the holes in each panel for that also.
Below are a few update pictures.

Brian Tax
07-15-2008, 6:02 PM
Is that rigid foam insulation (in the first picture) on the table so you can make cuts with the circular saw without damaging the table underneath? That is a great idea, full support for the piece with no damage to the table. Very cool idea.

Harley Reasons
07-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Is that rigid foam insulation (in the first picture) on the table so you can make cuts with the circular saw without damaging the table underneath? That is a great idea, full support for the piece with no damage to the table. Very cool idea.
Yes it's a sheet of 3/4" foam insulation with a sheet of 1/2" ply underneath. I put down some double sided tape but it didn't stick well to the wood. Probably going to try some spray adhesive next. Just have to set your blade to barely cut thru the stock. The foam will last a long time before needing to be replaced. Sure makes cutting sheet stock a lot easier.

Harley Reasons
07-17-2008, 12:57 AM
Another update:
Got the cabinet glued up and all the partitions installed. Today I installed the casters I got from Woodcrafter. I couldn't believe how easy they roll and how well they lock to prevent the table from moving. They made a believer out of me.
I also go the table top installed today. I used 8 Spax screws to secure it to the stretchers. I think that will hold it in place.
Tomorrow I start building the drawer boxes. I'm going to use box joints to put them together. This will be a new learning experience. I received the Freud Box Joint dado blades today so I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Ed Sallee
07-18-2008, 1:56 PM
You're probably too far in to it already, but you may want to consider incorporating a downdraft table in to the mix. One of the best things I've done in my shop.....The 4" tubing runs right down the middle and out the side in to my dust collector. I cover it with 1/8" hardboard when not in use.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/Shop4.jpg

Mike Shields
08-08-2008, 10:24 AM
...that I will NOT build any more projects

I confess!

Becuase I just started WW, I've found myself (overly) eager to build. I also found that I'm more prone to take shortcuts and make mistakes.

I've been building several doors and drawer fronts with tenons and grooves out of 3/4" hard maple. I've been fighting, during glue-up, getting everything square and clamping for flatness. I finally broke down, and built a simple squaring/clamping table using Kreg klamp track and my Festool MFT.

This should have been the 1st thing I built for this project! I'm so near perfect now, that I can't wait to build more!

Maybe I can learn from this: build the jigs first for the sake of a better overall project!

Harley Reasons
08-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Been a while since I've updated this thread;
I've just about finished the TB table. Got it stained and today I shot a coat of clear lacquer on it. Not the best choice I guess but I already had the lacquer on hand and I wanted to try out the HF HVLP spray gun. I had a learning curve on the paint gun but finally figured out that the lacquer had to be thinned more than the 10% the can instructions indicated, but that can be the subject of another post.

Overall I'm pleased with the build. I've learned some new skills in building it such as installing the full extension slides and Euro hinges. I also learned that the BORG plywood is crappy and nearly impossible to build cabinets with. It takes two people to get a decent sheet since you have to cull thru the stack to find a straight piece.

I'll reassembly the table this afternoon and post some final pictures soon. In the mean time, here a few more pictures of the progress.

Harley Reasons
08-08-2008, 1:31 PM
Here are the final pictures of the TB assembly table

Brent Ring
08-08-2008, 5:09 PM
Harley,

That is great - I have few questions.

1. Would you put a vise on a TB table top?
2. What about bench dog holes?

Harley Reasons
08-08-2008, 9:54 PM
Harley,

That is great - I have few questions.

1. Would you put a vise on a TB table top?
Answer: No, not on this style built with MDF, maybe if you constructed it of a more solid wood or plywood

2. What about bench dog holes?
Answer: See answer above

See answer above