PDA

View Full Version : How to install PAL's?

Art Davis
07-09-2008, 9:21 PM
Do you have any tips for installing PAL's?

I have had mine for several years, but have stalled around about installing them because it entails mods to the saw.

I have read several threads dealing with PAL's, but haven't found any that offer tips on the actual installation.

I have "Joe Dubby's" video on doing the install. (I call the guy who came out with them and the Dubby Miter sleds Joe Dubby because I never can remember his actual name!) I think his sleds are great and he does a good job on the video, but thought you might have some other insights about traps I could fall into.

Thanks.

Art

glenn bradley
07-09-2008, 9:34 PM
Depends on the saw. No mods should be required. On my old C-man I removed the two trunnion bolts closest to the rear of the saw, hand threaded the studs in, slipped on the PALs and slipped on the nuts.

Cary Falk
07-09-2008, 10:38 PM
I didn't have to do any mods to my Delta saw either. What mods do you think you have to do?

Bill Huber
07-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Like Glenn, I had no problem.

I did turn the saw over to make it easier to get to the bolts and that was about it.

I have an old Craftsman saw (55 years old).

John Keeton
07-10-2008, 6:29 AM
Referencing the thread on acronyms, for us dummies, what is a PAL?

Heather Thompson
07-10-2008, 6:47 AM
Referencing the thread on acronyms, for us dummies, what is a PAL?

John,

A PAL is a friend, someone that you hang around with, actually in this situation it is an accessory used to align the top on a contractor saw made by In Line Industries.

Heather

John Keeton
07-10-2008, 7:36 AM
Thanks Heather! By the way, the term PAL was not what my parents used to refer to those I hung out with as a youth!! They were right, and fortunately, somewhere along the way I figured that out.

scott spencer
07-10-2008, 7:40 AM
Hi Art - If you've got the right set for your saw, no mods should be necessary. They install only in the rear so access isn't bad even with a contractor saw. It's a fairly intuitive process, though the directions are poor IMO. Do one bolt at time, use Loctite on the threads into the table, then dial it in. Inline says that loosening the front bolts isn't necessary, but I'm not convinced that that's an absolute statement...if the front trunnions are shifted heavily to one side or the other, front alignment might be necessary before making final adjustments to the rear.

http://in-lineindustries.com/images/palandtrunon.gif

Mike Blessing
07-10-2008, 1:23 PM
I had to enlarge one of the holes in the trunnion of my Craftsman saw to get the movement I needed. I just did it in place with a Dremel tool. Shifting the front trunnion might have eliminated the need to do that.

Art Davis
07-10-2008, 3:53 PM
Thanks all,

Have you found that locktite is essential? Just wondered why it is necessary.

The "mods" I was remembering were actually another part of the video that In-Line Industries puts out. The guy was showing how to add a grease fitting so that you could grease the bearings. It involved drilling a hole. Has anyone done that?

Art

P.S. PALS stands for "Precision Alignment System," if my memory isn't too faulty.

Howard Acheson
07-10-2008, 4:27 PM
>> Have you found that locktite is essential? Just wondered why it is necessary.

If you don't use Locktite, the stud will turn in the tabletop as you tighten or loosen the nut when you make adjustments.

Art Davis
07-11-2008, 7:30 PM
Howard: Got it! Thanks.

By the way, just an added note. I have the video from In-Line Industries and just ran it again. It seems to be a very, very clear description of how to improve the performance of a table saw (in addition, of course, to pushing In-Line Industries products). He does show a slight mod when installing the PALS: filing the inside of the bolt holes that secure the rear trunnion. It seems to be minor because those holes are oversized anyway (and I don't think they are threaded).

The other thing he recommends is adding grease fittings to the journal that the worm drive for the blade lift passes through and the journal that the blade shroud pivots on. He shows things in complete detail, so I think I am going to do that mod. Wish me luck!

Art

P.S. He introduces himself on the video as Jerry Cole. I have seen him post on this forum, I think, so if he sees this, "Sorry Jerry for calling you Joe Dubby!"

Alan Schwabacher
07-11-2008, 7:50 PM
It sounds to me as if filing those holes, which might be helpful in some cases, is not strictly part of installing the PALS, but is intended to make sure there is enough play to properly adjust the saw. The PALS does not change the saw range of movement, it just makes it a heck of a lot easier to adjust.