PDA

View Full Version : Brake adjustment for Delta Radial Saw 33-990

Mike Sandman
07-09-2008, 7:13 PM
I have a Delta Model 10 (Model 33-990) radial arm saw circa 1984 or 1985. Mine has the Emerson motor, not the Marathon motor. The Emerson has a sloped case on the right side. The Marathon motor case is squared off.

The motor is equipped with a brake that stops the blade when the power is shut off, but mine hasn't worked for um... a few years. I'd like to adjust the brake so that it works again (or replace the worn parts if necessary & feasible) but the manual does not show how to do that. I have a set of instructions downloaded from a web site, but it appears to be for adjusting the brake on the Marathon motor, not the Emerson.

Anyone know where to point me on this, or maybe even know whether the brake can be adjusted at all?

Thanks -

Mike

Bob Pellerin
07-10-2008, 12:18 AM
When I went looking for information about the brake on the motor on my saw, I couldn't find
anything on it. I contacted Delta, and Delta responded with a copy of a generic instruction set
that I used as a guide, given nothing else to go on. Seems to adjust the same way - not much adjustment is really available - it's more cleaning than anything.
Copy of what they sent me:

If your motor looks like mine:

then here's a peek inside:

I found that once I cleaned the components with alchohol (including wiping off the cork surface
to remove the glazing), the brake worked better. It still takes more than a few seconds to stop
the blade, so much so that I was originally convinced the brake was missing until I opened the
case. I had expected a much quicker stop compared to my old table saw motor that had no brake -
but there is a difference. If I use a dado blade, the brake is ineffective.

Mike Sandman
07-10-2008, 1:19 PM
Thanks My motor is the same as yours and the photos are a huge help -- 1 photo is worth 1000 posts.