PDA

View Full Version : Winding Strips?

Mark Kelly
04-21-2004, 4:59 PM
When is it necessary to use winding strips on a wall being built? Does it have to do with the construction of the wall or does it have to do with the size (length) of the wall?

Randy Moore
04-22-2004, 8:23 AM
Maybe I am dumb as heck, but what is winding strips. I helped my Dad build his house in S.W. Missouri and never heard that term.

Todd Burch
04-22-2004, 8:54 AM
I know what winding strips are, but have never heard of their use on a wall. Tabletops, boards, etc., but not "on the vertical" for a wall. Would you nail them in place? I think that would negate their effectiveness.

Are you looking for bowed studs or twisted walls? I'm thinking a plumb level put on either end of the wall and maybe in the middle in a couple spots would tell you everything you wanted to know, AND, be a whole lot faster. For winding sticks on a wall, I would think that you would have to walk over to your neighbor's lot to see them accurately.

If you are building the wall laying flat, you hsould have a slab or floor as a reference for "flat". And, as much as wall can flex when you are lifting it up, you could really put twist in it when fastening it, while it was flat as a pancake when you built it.

Naw, I wouldn't waste my time with them.

Now, perhaps the winding sticks used for boards when handplaning (my understanding) are completely different from your reference. If so, I'm clueless.

Todd

Mark Singer
04-22-2004, 9:15 AM
After the walls are standing and have been "plumbed and lined" (checked for being vertical and straight), they should be checked with an 8' steel straight edge in both directions. Any bowed studs should be planned or shimmed prior to gyp. bd.

Mark Kelly
04-22-2004, 9:59 AM
winding strips are used to keep a wall from bowing, winding, whatever. I have only seen it in a book on building a wall that was built in box like squares. No straight studs from top of the wall to the bottom. Maybe that is it's only application, so thus the reason for the question. I am NOT a builder, but am in the process of learning that now.

Mark Kelly
04-22-2004, 10:04 AM
Supposedly winding strips are strips of metal (I think an inch wide or so) nailed 45 degrees from bottom horizontal stud to approx the middle of the wall, or so. Only application I have ever seen it.

And, no, I am not talking of winding STICKS. I had a good laugh though about going to the neighbors to check it. I do have to admit, though, that I am learning how to use winding sticks--just not on framing!

Todd Burch
04-26-2004, 9:59 PM
Oh yeah - sticks, not strips. Duh.

I have winding STRIPS on some walls in my house and garage, added only because the builder FORGOT to add let-in 1X4 diagonal bracing and FORGOT to add plywood on the corners of the second story of my house. They made big "X"s with them, two nails per stud at each intersection. Perforated strips (for the nails), about 1½" wide.