PDA

View Full Version : Custom Buttons?

Joe Pelonio
07-09-2008, 6:15 PM
My wife's secondary employer, at a quilt/sewing machine store where she teaches is sending her to Kansas City for an event. She's made several items of clothing to take along and for one has asked me to make her some acrylic buttons. I have yet to finalize the design she likes and thread hole alignment, but it looks like something that might be saleable (is that a word?). Just used 1/8" clear, rastor a design and cut shape and holes to the size needed.

Will try to get pics when I do the final 5.

Steven Smith
07-09-2008, 6:23 PM
My wife's secondary employer, at a quilt/sewing machine store where she teaches is sending her to Kansas City for an event. She's made several items of clothing to take along and for one has asked me to make her some acrylic buttons. I have yet to finalize the design she likes and thread hole alignment, but it looks like something that might be saleable (is that a word?). Just used 1/8" clear, rastor a design and cut shape and holes to the size needed.

Will try to get pics when I do the final 5.

My wife creates "wearable art" for what it's worth. I've made her some buttons and sew on decorations out of .125 walnut, leather and have etched pre-made shell buttons.
The cool factor comes from being able to create items not available elsewhere. I haven't decided if makes $$ sense to do it commercially but I'm leaning NO.

Joe Pelonio
07-09-2008, 6:43 PM
My wife creates "wearable art" for what it's worth. I've made her some buttons and sew on decorations out of .125 walnut, leather and have etched pre-made shell buttons.
The cool factor comes from being able to create items not available elsewhere. I haven't decided if makes $$ sense to do it commercially but I'm leaning NO.
One thing I have learned about this kind of item is that you have to get in with a place that will sell it for you. In this case, I'm hoping the store owner likes it and might want to offer them, so it would be wholesale. I suppose it could be an online or E-bay item but then that's a lot of additional work plus shipping hassles for a small price.