PDA

View Full Version : Making progress on my deck - question about pro prices

Lincoln Myers
07-09-2008, 4:50 PM
Will have a few pictures to post soon. I see more deck boards than joists now, so that's gotta be a good sign.

I understand rates will vary based on several factors, but want to get an idea of what people pay to have this type of project done for them.

What are the 'going rates' for a standard pressure treated deck? If I were to pay someone/company to build my deck. Discussion came up recently and I found some numbers around online, but wanted to get The Creek's take on it.

Details of deck:
Just under 500 sq. ft.
Single level
24" off ground
13 Post holes
Standard / simple railings using 2x2 balusters

Thanks for any insight.

-Linc

William OConnell
07-09-2008, 10:45 PM
$6700 for PT although I rarely build PT decks anymore. Its mostly composites or exotic hardwoods

Dave Falkenstein
07-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Pressure treated material costs roughly the same as redwood decking in northern Arizona. Few people use PT here, but lots of redwood decks. The cost to build a new deck is typically priced by the square foot. For a redwood surfaced deck, I would be quoting $20 to $30 per square foot, depending on the difficulty of building the deck. For example, it costs more to build an elevated deck on a sloping lot with lots of trees and rocks. The cost for surveying the lot, drawings and permits is in addition to the costs above. I talked to a general contractor recently about redwood deck pricing, and he is currently quoting $35 per square foot.

Frankly, I cannot understand how William can build a PT deck for about $13 per square foot.

Lincoln Myers
07-11-2008, 2:58 PM
Thanks for the input. Here are a couple of updtated pictures. SWMBO is posing in the second - she doesn't *look* as impatient as she might actually be to get this project D O N E. :)

Matt Ocel
07-11-2008, 3:57 PM
I am with Dave.

I would charge $30 sq ft for Cedar, plus $150 ea per footing.
I would not build a deck with treated decking.

I have no idea how William can do it for what he charges. My cost for material runs $17 sq ft for a cedar deck. Composite decking and Aluminum rail will run the price up also.

Deck looks good so far Lincoln! Send us pictures when you start BBQing.

William OConnell
07-11-2008, 6:51 PM
I am with Dave.

I would charge $30 sq ft for Cedar, plus $150 ea per footing.
I would not build a deck with treated decking.

I have no idea how William can do it for what he charges. My cost for material runs $17 sq ft for a cedar deck. Composite decking and Aluminum rail will run the price up also.

Deck looks good so far Lincoln! Send us pictures when you start BBQing.
Wow thats alot of money for cedar it must be clear cedar and clear posts with clear rails and spindles?
The materials for a PT deck like the one he described cost me right at 7$ a foot. Two of my guys would build it in 5 days. The deck that Lincoln described is a common bare bones deck. In the area that I live I rarely build these because theres just to many guys doing them, usually carpenters doing them as side work. I'm just finishing a deck that would cost around $45 a square ft. but its alot differnt than what I would call a common deck
I WISH I could get thirty a foot for the described deck.

Kelly C. Hanna
07-11-2008, 8:06 PM
Wow, you guys are way high....I charge $10-$11.50 a foot for PT Pine and it's WAYYY cheaper than Redwood here. Redwood tops out at close to $3 per lineal foot [2x6] and PT pine is only $1 for the same foot.

For your deck Lincoln I'd be quoting around $5000 in PT Pine [$10 foot] or $9500 for Redwood [$19 per foot]...Cedar would be about halfway in between and Ipe tops out a little higher than Redwood [$20-22 foot].

I cannot believe that Redwood and Pine are the same price in AZ....that has never happened here that I know of.

Dave Falkenstein
07-12-2008, 12:46 AM
...I cannot believe that Redwood and Pine are the same price in AZ....that has never happened here that I know of.

I got a price quote from a local yard in Flagstaff, AZ just the other day. My price for redwood decking material, 2X6, is $3 per square foot (not linear foot). The last time I checked on PT 2X6 material it was within pennies of the same price as redwood here. And redwood is nicer looking, IMHO.

For you guys that are willing to build decks as cheaply as you say, come on over and I'll get you all the work you can handle. I'll just charge the going rate, pay you your rate, and pocket the difference! Smile.

Actually Kelly, you and I are not that far apart. Lincoln's deck sounds like a simple build. Earlier I said $20 tpo $30 per square foot for a redwood deck. Assuming Lincoln's deck is at the low end, my bid would be $20 and yours is $19. I suppose the price of local lumber causes some variation, but not more than a couple of bucks per square foot.

Lincoln - how much is you deck costing you?

Greg Cole
07-12-2008, 10:43 AM
How about pricing for a more custom deck, say like 300 or so sq feet, 4' high around 1/2 of a round above ground pool? 6' privacy fence (dog ear pickets with about 1/8" spacing) as a railing in one corner and a 50" fence (dog ears 1" spcing) as the railing around the rest...15 footers, 2 sets of stairs all PT SYP?
I just finished building 90% of one at my home and my wife asked me how much I've got into it versus what I'd have paid someone to build it? My guess was @ $5K.
Any guesses?
BTW, redwood here is ridic as is cedar or the tropicals. I did a smaller deck here last year with Trex, but I had a budget here unfortunately.

Greg

William OConnell
07-12-2008, 11:13 AM
OK I just want to clear something up here. Redwood as in California redwood is a rare commodotity these days and sells for ALOT of money. This is the redwood of the 50s and sixtys picnic tables. These trees were HUGE and the lumber was phenominally stable since most of it was milled from the Boule of the tree. What people are calling redwood(sequoia sempervirens) these days is actually a timber from China(meta sequoia). I was at a wood auction last Saturday and watched curly( sequoia sempervirens) sell for 30$ a bd. ft. True story it really happened and the bidding was intense. These were well schooled woodworkers. I bbought some cherry slabs by the way so I can make and school myself on some Nakashima tables.
I have built many phillipino Mahogany decks and the decking cost me roughly 3$ a ft. Is it a mohagany deck? hmmmm I call it Luan ( you know the stuff that they veneer low grade plywood with because thats what it really is ) not Honduran mohagany.
I watch these terms on the internet get thrown around by great salesmen. They are so good at there jobs. So good that the first guy who called Luan- Phillipino Mahogany is probably a millionaire several times over. But the truth is that its luan

Matt Ocel
07-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Let me clarify my statement.
I said I charge $30 sq ft. I usually build decks on refferals only.

I can't compete nor try to compete with un licensed, pick-up truck carpenters, who have the homeowners buy material, and permits then charge $20 bucks per hour to frame it up.

Matt Ocel
07-12-2008, 11:21 AM
How about pricing for a more custom deck, say like 300 or so sq feet, 4' high around 1/2 of a round above ground pool? 6' privacy fence (dog ear pickets with about 1/8" spacing) as a railing in one corner and a 50" fence (dog ears 1" spcing) as the railing around the rest...15 footers, 2 sets of stairs all PT SYP?
I just finished building 90% of one at my home and my wife asked me how much I've got into it versus what I'd have paid someone to build it? My guess was @ $5K.
Any guesses?
BTW, redwood here is ridic as is cedar or the tropicals. I did a smaller deck here last year with Trex, but I had a budget here unfortunately.

Greg

Greg,

Send me a picture, and I'll tell ya.

Greg Cole
07-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Matt,
If it was POURING I would. I'll have some soon enough.
And OF COURSE it's pouring as I cleaned & topped off the pool this morning in expectations of having the kids in it all day.
Ah well, the weather is "forcing" me into the shop today versus the backyard jobsite for 2 weeks now.

Cheers.
Greg

Wade Lippman
07-12-2008, 4:07 PM
I have a 1200sf deck. All I want is the 5/4 pt decking pulled off and replaced by Trex Escape. About what would that cost?

I had two companies come out, show me samples, take measurements, and then just vanish. Maybe it is my breath?

Kelly C. Hanna
07-12-2008, 6:28 PM
Let me clarify my statement.
I said I charge $30 sq ft. I usually build decks on refferals only.

I can't compete nor try to compete with un licensed, pick-up truck carpenters, who have the homeowners buy material, and permits then charge $20 bucks per hour to frame it up.

Didn't mean for anyone to take any offense to my statement, hope you didn't. In case you did, here's why I said what I did....but first a little info....

Deck builders do not need licenses in the state of Texas and we ALL work out of a pickup...in fact I have never met a deckbuilder who didn't. Virtually all of us charge by the job and no homeowners buy their own material....I wouldn't let them even if they offered. It would be like me telling them how to invest in the stock market.

My rates are lower than most other states' deckbuilders because we do not have the maniacal permit costs or the unreal prices for lumber some other folks do. Here, a deck only needs a permit if it is 36" off the ground or more. I thank God for that fact regularly. Permits here cost around $250 for the average deck when we do have to get one. I think I have had two in the last ten years.

I know there are some fly-by-nighters out there that do what you are talking about, but I guarantee you there are none on this forum.

Kelly C. Hanna
07-12-2008, 6:31 PM
I have a 1200sf deck. All I want is the 5/4 pt decking pulled off and replaced by Trex Escape. About what would that cost?

I had two companies come out, show me samples, take measurements, and then just vanish. Maybe it is my breath?

Why Trex if I may ask? Choice Dek is my personal fave cause it is the ONLY one with a lifetime warranty that is transferrable and crazy enough, it's the only one that is waterproof.

Dave Falkenstein
07-12-2008, 7:43 PM

The first item when I get a call from someone that wants what you want is to determine what the joist spacing is on your current deck and what the joist spacing needs to be for the material you chose. Since Trex Escapes is a 5/4 X 6 profile, then your joist spacing must be not more than 16" OC (Trex specs, not mine). Any price needs to take the joist situation into account. The price for material for 5/4 Trex is about $6 per square foot. My estimate to remove an old deck, add new joists as needed and lay 5/4 Trex would be at least $20 per square foot. In Arizona, adding joists requires a building permit, which is not included in the estimate.

One factor that many folks do not realize is that Trex, and many other man-made materials, is flexible. If the joists are not very close to perfectly aligned with each other (vertically), and level, then the resulting deck will show waves in the decking. Not at all pretty.

Matt Ocel
07-12-2008, 8:37 PM
FYI-
Trex is rated at 12" oc max span when using as stair treads.
This usually means additional stringers are required.

Below is a deck I built last spring on Lake Minnetonka in MN.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=89609&d=1212105869

Wade Lippman
07-13-2008, 10:28 AM
No particular reason; the two people who came out used Trex.
The Escape has to be waterproof, it is pure PVC.

Matt Ocel
07-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Why Trex if I may ask? Choice Dek is my personal fave cause it is the ONLY one with a lifetime warranty that is transferrable and crazy enough, it's the only one that is waterproof.

Kelly -

Have you ever used AZEK (formerly Procell) Its lighter, doesn't split, you can litterally drive a screw 1/4" from the end, and it doesn't absorb the heat like composite decking does. Doesn't stain either. Also Maintenence free.

Kelly C. Hanna
07-13-2008, 12:54 PM
I sure haven't Matt...I have seen ads though. My service area is mostly first time buyers....PT Pine is the choice 90% of the time. If you could see my website you'd notice very few Cedar/Redwood/Composite decks. I love building them, but that clientele is too far out of my driving range [45 min max] and in an area full of the absolute worst folks to deal with in the DFW area...not my cup of tea. My business
usually appeals to the more artistically inclined than the ones that can buy the good stuff.

The Escape probably is waterproof if it's PVC....haven't checked that one out yet.

David Cramer
07-13-2008, 1:47 PM
Matt,

You do awesome work! That deck is bloody outstanding! You obviously made some homeowners very happy:):):). Keep up the good work!

David

Dave Falkenstein
07-14-2008, 11:32 AM
FYI-
...Below is a deck I built last spring on Lake Minnetonka in MN....

Matt - That is a mighty handsome deck. I would classify that as one of the more difficult to build. If I may be so bold to ask, what was the price per square foot?

Matt Ocel
07-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Matt - That is a mighty handsome deck. I would classify that as one of the more difficult to build. If I may be so bold to ask, what was the price per square foot?

Dave -
This was a unique project. This home is a spec home built on the lake. It is an insulated concrete form (ICF) home. I did all the framing and some finish work. I got the job through a mutual friend, it kept me busy through the winter. I charged $50 per hour. So I can't answer your question. Looking back and counting hours, I would have charged $10K for labor on the deck.

The house has not sold and I may go take some inside pictures to post.
Some of the highlights are the 54 risers from the basement to the 4th floor, the elevator shaft, the inlay hardwood floors.

P.S. Someday I would like to retire in AZ, Can a contractor make a good living in the Flagstaff, Sedona or Cottonwood area? That south side is way to hot for this MN guy.

Dave Falkenstein
07-14-2008, 11:20 PM
...P.S. Someday I would like to retire in AZ, Can a contractor make a good living in the Flagstaff, Sedona or Cottonwood area? That south side is way to hot for this MN guy.

Matt - A quality contractor that gets work done as pr0omised can make money anywhere in Arizona. Even in these tough times in building and real estate, the good guys are reasonably busy. One local full-time GC I recently talked with is booked into the Fall. It is a bit cooler in Flagstaff (7000') than in Sedona or Cottonwood (3500'), however Flagstaff has a full-blown winter season. C'mon out!