View Full Version : Help with re-welding mobile base wheels

Brian Smith3
07-09-2008, 2:18 PM
I got a new saw and have an old HTC base that fit a different saw. The new saw almost fits, but could definitely fit the base if I can move the welded wheel wells from the inside of the base to the outside of the base.

Is this a hard process, to remove a wheel well and then re-weld it on the other side? Is it worth doing? If I can't re-weld it, I'll have to shell out $250 for a new base, so I have some budget to work with. Also what type of business could do this type of work?

Thanks for the help

Harley Reasons
07-09-2008, 2:46 PM
Ain't no biggie, should be able to either hacksaw them out or use a cutting disk and reweld to outside. Might have to add a brace or two but nothing impossible for a good welder to fabricate. The wheels for my Delta TS mobile base are on the outside of the frame.

Steven DeMars
07-09-2008, 5:19 PM
Not sure where you live . . .but you should be able to have someone do it . . . if you don't weld and have a welder you could . . .

1. I would try a local trade school with a welding program . .

2. a fab shop . . . one that caters to utility trailers should have a MIG . .

3. I would use a cut off wheel on a 4 1/2 grinder to take it off . . . wear thick gloves and face shield . . . they tend to get away from you . . .

4. clean it up - have it ready to install . . remove the paint on both pieces where it will be welded . . . .

5. KNOW exactly what you want done before you get there, they think hours only . . . . and I found most don't think or plan for free . .

That is why I learned to weld . . .:)

Mike Heidrick
07-09-2008, 5:25 PM
That is why I learned to weld . . .:)

Same here only for tractor reasons. Would be pretty simple and a school would most likely do it for very cheap. Welding shops around here charge about $80 an hour. My welding class cost me $100.

Brian Smith3
07-09-2008, 7:30 PM
OK great so it can be done pretty easily. I'll pull em with a 4.5 grinder and prep and with your suggestions I can find a place to weld it, then prep and paint. Thanks again all.

Brian