PDA

View Full Version : Guess the saw stop works just saw this.

jason lambert
07-09-2008, 11:19 AM
From another forum...

"We've been selling SawStop table saws for just over one year now.
Last night a customer came in and bought a few brake cartridges. He told us how his co-worker wasn't paying attention and put his hand into the blade. The SawStop did it's job and stopped the blade - This man's co-worker didn't even need a band-aid, there was just a little scratch on his finger!

As of July 2008, Force Machinery has 4 customers "saved" by the SawStop !"

The man who needs a tool is already paying for it! http://forcemachinery.com/forum/img/smilies/wink.png

Walt Caza
07-09-2008, 1:06 PM
Thanks for sharing that with us Jason,
After all the early firestorm in the forums, which seem to have subsided,
it is great to hear something positive about the new technology.

I think about the impact of a saw save on just one life, and still find it impressive.
Some of the naysayers used to make a point that operators
may be lulled into carelessness by knowing the brake is 'watching'.
(the classic counter has been that we drive the same with airbags as without)

Being an early adopter, I have run my Sawstop cab. saw for over 2 yrs.
I have found that I pretty much forget about the brake mechanism, and
carry on trying to be as safe as ever. It is a terrific saw, smooth, precise and a joy to use...
If it ever does spare me an injury, that would just be a huge bonus!
I think it is great that the SS contractor saw will be accessable to more woodworkers.

Thanks for letting us know,
Walt
:)

Don Bullock
07-09-2008, 9:35 PM
Thanks for sharing that with us Jason,
After all the early firestorm in the forums, which seem to have subsided,
it is great to hear something positive about the new technology.
...I have run my Sawstop cab. saw for over 2 yrs.
I have found that I pretty much forget about the brake mechanism, and
carry on trying to be as safe as ever. It is a terrific saw, smooth, precise and a joy to use...
If it ever does spare me an injury, that would just be a huge bonus!
Thanks for letting us know,
Walt
:)

I fully agree with Walt. Jason, thanks for the update. It's nice to know that the SS technology is doing what it was designed to do. Like Walt, I've been using my SS and haven't thought about the brake being there. I feel, because I'm much more aware of what a table saw and the other machines can do to human body parts, that my work in the shop is far safer than it ever was in the past.

Walt, I certainly don't plan to cash in on the bonus you mentioned. You should be pleased that those four customers bought their SSs from you.

Bill Wyko
07-10-2008, 12:48 AM
I wish I could afford to buy my employees a Saw stop. Since I can't, the saw stop we use is....stop and think before you use the saw. About 6 years ago I touched the side of the blade. It scared the Broccoli outta me. Even years later, every time I use the saw that comes to mind. I was very lucky I didn't loose a handfull of fingers.

Don Bullock
07-10-2008, 9:35 AM
I wish I could afford to buy my employees a Saw stop. Since I can't, the saw stop we use is....stop and think before you use the saw. ...

That's a great technique on any power tool.:D

The only reason I have a SS is that I showed SWMBO the videos on the SS website. She decided after helping me use my old Craftsman table saw that I needed the SS. Due to a change in IRS rules on how income taxes were taken out of my checks at work, I ended up with an unexpected Federal tax refund that paid for the saw. It was like it was meant to be. How's that for government intervention?;):D