PDA

View Full Version : Homeowner Chainsaw?

Matt Meiser
07-09-2008, 10:16 AM
I need to get a decent homeowner chainsaw. Something for trimming oversize branches, cutting fallen limbs, etc. I'm not going to be cutting firewood, logging, or anything like that with it. I'm not a turner so I won't be cutting blanks. I'll be unlucky if I have to use it more than once or twice a year. I currently have my dad's 30 year old Craftsman which was a good saw but is litterally falling apart due to heavy use.

My max budget, including case, oil, etc is $300 but I'd really like to spend less. I can get a Stihl MS180 for about that. There's also a Jonsered 2050 which is apparently an older model that has literally never been used on our local Craigslist for $250 OBO that hasn't been sold in over a month. Another option is a Husqvarna 142 which with the 10% off coupon I have for Tractor Supply would be about $230. Then there's always a Poulan Pro or Craftsman in the $175 range. Also, maybe the case isn't a must-have since it will be stored on a shelf in my garage or shop and they all come with the scabard for the bar?

I've looked at the Arboristsite.com forum but the opinions there really seem to geared towards the pro user. Its very difficult to find opinions on there for a use like mine. I just can't justify spending so much for something I'm going to use so little.

Chris Damm
07-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Any of those would work fine for your intended use. I've had a Husky (Rancher 55) for years now and it has never failed me.

Lee Schierer
07-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Check your local dealers and see which ones you can get parts for. Stay away from older brands that may not have parts support. I have a Poulan 16" chain saw and it worked quite nicely to fell and cut up two pine trees last week that were 16" at the base and about 30 feet tall. I bought this saw used about 20 years ago and it sees occasional use. I have replaced the pull cord, carberator, chain and chain bar once in that time. The 16" bar is a good size for most jobs around the house and the saw isn't so heavy that you need to be a weightlifter to use it all day.

Art Mulder
07-09-2008, 10:24 AM
I'll be contrary.... since your use is so infrequent, why not a simple pruning saw? I've used this saw (LVT) (http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=10218&cat=2,42706,40721&ap=1) on limbs up to 4-5" in diameter. Really, the blade is the only limiting factor. You can buy them with larger blades also. Hard to beat that price.

best,
...art

Greg Cole
07-09-2008, 10:25 AM
I've had a Stihl for many years now, I too don't use it much anymore living in a 'burb sort of neighborhood. When I lived in Vermont on some acreage & forested land it was a work horse.... least a few cord of wood a year & built a lot of bon fire piles with it.
Mine's a Stihl 021 IIRC. FWIW, you can buy them with a full protective case or can buy the case seperately... they're on the auction site for $10.00. Storing it in the wood shop it'd be nice to keep the dust off the engine etc.

Cheers.
Greg

Jim Becker
07-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Even for incidental use, I'd go with a good machine like the Stihl. In fact, I'll propose to you that you'll enjoy using it, even infrequently, because it will actually start with little effort after sitting idle for months and months. Not so with many of the so-called "homeowner" saws. Otherwise consider an electric, like a Remmington, for incidental use around the home. I have one of those in addition to my Stihl .029 Farm Boss. The electic comes in handy for those times when I don't want the noise, etc., that comes with the gas saw and it can also be used indoors, such as in the shop during cold weather. Very handy.

Pat Germain
07-09-2008, 12:36 PM
I used to to use a chainsaw to cut firewood almost constantly. I used my dad's McCullough which was a complete, total and absolute gasoline powered turd.

My friend used his dad's Stihl wich was a reliable workhorse. Back then, Stihl chainsaws were kind of expensive. I don't know about now.

Poulan chainsaws have a reputation for being very good, reasonably priced tools.

David G Baker
07-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Matt,
I have been using a $129 McCulloch with a 16" bar for the past 5 years. I replaced the chain one time, keep the teeth sharpened and the blade out of the dirt. I have cut down at least 15 jack pine trees, 4 large box elder trees and several large red pines. The trees were cut into 16 inch pieces and the branches cut into small enough pieces to fit into my large burn pit. The McCulloch has done a fine job and has never failed me. I tried the larger heavy duty saws but found them to be heavier than I wanted for as much cutting as I do. If I was a lot younger and stronger I would get the Farm Boss.

Matt Meiser
07-09-2008, 1:08 PM
I seriously have considered electric, but most of my needs are > 100' from the house. I'd have to haul the generator out to where I'm working. That wouldn't be bad except that if there were wet conditions that might get worrisome. The MS290 which I think replaced Jim's .029 is a nice saw, but $360 + accessories + tax.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-09-2008, 1:44 PM
In that small size range Echo is about as good as a sthil and cheaper.

Greg Stanford
07-09-2008, 1:47 PM
I bought a 16" McCulloch while driving back home after evacuating for Katrina. I used the c**p out of that thing in my yard, numerous neighbor's yards, my mom's yard, her neighbor's yards . . . . . you get the idea. Then it sets up for months at a time. Started up w/ no problem a week ago when I had a big limb down out of an oak tree. At about 130.00 I figure it's disposable.

2 cents.

g

Dennis Peacock
07-09-2008, 2:04 PM
Go with an Echo for as little as you'll need one. Store it without fuel in the tank or in the carb...run it dry before putting it up.

Other than that? If you really want a nice saw...the Husky is a good saw as well as the Stihl. The MS210 is a very nice little saw.

Gerald Riley
07-09-2008, 2:32 PM
Something else to think about if you ever want to sell it, a good one will sell a lot easier. I'd go with a Echo is or Sthil.

Termite

John Shuk
07-09-2008, 5:44 PM
If it were me for $230 I'd get the Husky. Mine is a great saw. I've really never warmed up to the Echo saws. I've got Huskys and Stihls and both are great saws but even a Poulan will get what you need done.

Matt Meiser
07-09-2008, 5:46 PM
I just ran down to the nearest Stihl dealer. He said that an MS170 or MS180 would probably meet my needs, but that they see significantly more problems with them vs. the MS2xx from bad gas. Not that they are bad saws, but if you leave gas in them they are more susceptible to carb problems. He also says that I'm really not going to cut down a tree with a 170 or 180, not that I plan to. He's recommending I get an MS210 which runs around $270 + everything else for about $325 total, which is still more than I really want to spend. And they always recommend that occasional users drain the gas and run it dry.

But then he told me that he has a customer trading in an MS210 on a larger saw. Its only about 2-3 months old. They go through trades and make any necessary repairs, clean them up, and offer a warranty--I didn't think to ask if its their warranty or Stihl's but they are where I'd go for service anyway. I could get that one for about $190+accessories. He's supposed to call me when it comes in. This sounds like the way to go.

John Keeton
07-09-2008, 6:58 PM
Matt, Jim Becker has this one nailed! Get a Stihl Farm Boss. It is undoubtedly the most reliable chainsaw you can own. Not familiar with the MS210, but if it's a Stihl you will be OK. I am on my second one. The first one lasted 15 years and would still be working if my son had not borrowed it, failed to keep the filter clean, and burnt the piston. Otherwise, I had never spent a penny on it except for sharpening or new chain.

Art does have a point with the pruning saw, but it's really hard to feel the "power thing" when you rev up a pruning saw!

Dennis Peacock
07-09-2008, 7:30 PM
Matt,

The MS210 is a nice saw and will do you just fine. Even with my Stihl Pro saw, the manual states, Premium grade fuel and if storing the saw for more than 3 days? Drain the fuel tank and run the saw until it runs dry. A friend of mine in Alabama has a Stihl saw that he's been using for over 25 years. Still uses it today and NEVER leaves fuel in the carb or fuel tank when storing the saw.

Greg Cole
07-09-2008, 7:45 PM
NEVER leaves fuel in the carb or fuel tank when storing the saw.
Same tidbit has kept the Johnson 35hp 2 stroke motor on the side console fishing boat I've had since I was 15 running like clock work & I am almost 34. Same for the string trimmer etc...;)

Joe Mioux
07-09-2008, 7:49 PM
Matt,

I have had a Stihl .023 for 18 years. I assume the MS210 is just a bit smaller than mine.

I have never had any problems with it.

I really like this saw. It's not too heavy and its reliable.

Joe

Craig Summers
07-10-2008, 12:26 AM
I have a Poulan Pro, works great. :D I just have to keep adjusting the blade tension :(, its not as stout as i would like.

Another option for occasional usage is a corded or cordless sawzall, they sell a good 8" pruning blade for the sawzall at the Borgs. I had to use my sawzall to free up the chainsaw when a tree pinched the bar a while ago.

Don Eddard
07-10-2008, 4:46 AM
I have a Poulan and a Stihl. For your occasional use, the Poulan would probably do OK, but I'd still recommend the Stihl. It's the old cry once (when you buy it) or cry every time (when you use it) issue. The Stihl will last a long time if you take care of it.

And if you can get the barely used one at that price, jump on it. It already puts you in good resale position if you decide you want something different later.

Rich Engelhardt
07-10-2008, 5:57 AM
Hello,
I'm kind of with Art.

HF - $3.99 bow saw.
On sale for $2.99 right now.

Will go through most anything up to ~ 4" in dia. in less time than it takes to fill the tank, pull the cord & squirt some oil on the chain.

In all honesty, anything over 4" in dia. is getting into "professional services" territory - IMHO & YMMV.

Once I free the limb or whatever, I use an axe to lop off the smaller branches.

(now that I have a cordless recip saw, I'd defiantly use that instead)

Then, if need be, I wrap a chain around the limb or whatever, and hook it to the tractor and drag it to within extension cord reach of the Remington electric.

I went through three or four small gas engine powered - seldom used - pieces of yard equipment. When it came to a chain saw, I went electric some 25 years ago and haven't looked back since.

Greg Narozniak
07-10-2008, 7:57 AM
Just like when your buying a Nail Gun check for local support. You need to be able to have the saw serviced and (to the best of my knowledge) you cannot ship the saw somewhere for service. learn to sharpen the chain with a file. It takes 10 minutes and cuts like brand new when done right.

I purchased a used Stihl 026 from my local dealer. This is a Pro line saw that came with an 18" bar and with a new Full Chisel chain it runs and cuts like a dream. I was able to get the saw for $125. The deals are out there you just have to look. The 210 would be a good way to go if you can get it cheap.

I do not use my saw all that much but I do use Stabil in the mix and I always keep gas in it and a few pulls and it fires right up. I have had this saw for 4+ years and never had a problem.

The brands to look for are Stihl, Husky and Jonsered (Same exact saw different colors), Shindaiwa, Echo, John Deere (Their CS series is made by Efco, very good european chainsaw company), Makita (Made by Dolmar another very good company across the pond) As a consumer you will never wear out any of these saws.

Al Willits
07-10-2008, 8:34 AM
Considering what your gonna use it for, any of the major brands will work for you, dealer close is important, also pick the saw up and see how it feels, 16" bar usually takes care of most around the house jobs, but see what's on sale.

While Mac gets a bad rep from the "pros" I picked up a 610 25 or so years ago and am still waiting for it to break so I can buy a "good" chain saw, that's well over a 100+ cords with that saw.
Its not as light as some, but it keeps on ticking...:)

Used is alway a crap shoot, get some kind of warranty on it if you go used, the person owning it could be just upgrading or trading in a lemon, ya never know.

Drain fuel?
What ever works for ya I guess, I use stabil and seafoam in the gas and haven't drained mine since I bought it, it'll start in 4-5 pulls everytime, even after sitting for over a year or more.

Not sure if you've run a saw before, but if not, get ear and eye protection and BE CAREFUL.

Al

Steve Flinchum
07-10-2008, 9:13 AM
I bought a Poulan Pro from TSC last December with a 20" bar for $160.00 on close out. I have a farm and have used it to cut up some very big trees lost in a wind storm and I have been very pleased with it's performance, especially for $160.00. I doubt it would hold up in daily use like a Stihl or Husky would, but for occasional clean up and even cutting firewood, I feel comfortable with it. It is one of the yellow ones and a friend of mine who works on saws and such said they seem to have a little better motor than the green ones.
Good luck.

Steve

Jeffrey Makiel
07-10-2008, 10:18 AM
I use a pruning blade on my reciprocating saw to cut branches up to 5" dia. It's safe, controllable, quick and always starts. Here's a linky...

http://www.amazon.com/Skil-94100-05-Pruning-Reciprocating-Blades/dp/B000BMBPGU

-Jeff :)

Matt Meiser
07-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Drain fuel?
What ever works for ya I guess, I use stabil and seafoam in the gas and haven't drained mine since I bought it, it'll start in 4-5 pulls everytime, even after sitting for over a year or more.

What is seafoam and what does it add to the effect of the Stabil? I've had really good luck with Stabil. I add it to my generator and to the gas I mix for my blower and string trimmer. The string trimmer doesn't get used much because I have most areas that mower deck won't reach either mulched or I spray them with Roundup. I have to admit I've been very lax in maintaining the trimmer and blower as far as draining gas in the fall, etc. They all start easily. The generator stays fully gassed up and gets started in the spring and fall in addition to any power failures where it is needed.

Al Willits
07-10-2008, 10:40 AM
What is seafoam and what does it add to the effect of the Stabil? I've had really good luck with Stabil. I add it to my generator and to the gas I mix for my blower and string trimmer. The string trimmer doesn't get used much because I have most areas that mower deck won't reach either mulched or I spray them with Roundup. I have to admit I've been very lax in maintaining the trimmer and blower as far as draining gas in the fall, etc. They all start easily. The generator stays fully gassed up and gets started in the spring and fall in addition to any power failures where it is needed.

Seafoam is a cleaner, kinda the WD-40 of the motor world, I see it on sale from time to time but I think its under $4 a can.
Been using the two together for longer than I can remember, and it does work...well for me it does anyway.

I use it in everything from the vehicles, to the generators, weed trimer, boat motors, lawn mower, anything that runs on that &%$# we have for gas now.
It also works in the oil, if I think of it just before doing a oil change I'll add a little seafoam to the oil.

If I wasn't able to use that, I'd drain the gas, but as easy as just adding a bit of each of these is, I don't bother.

Al

Steven Hardy
07-10-2008, 4:00 PM
I need to get a decent homeowner chainsaw. Something for trimming oversize branches, cutting fallen limbs, etc. I'm not going to be cutting firewood, logging, or anything like that with it. I'm not a turner so I won't be cutting blanks. I'll be unlucky if I have to use it more than once or twice a year. I currently have my dad's 30 year old Craftsman which was a good saw but is litterally falling apart due to heavy use.

My max budget, including case, oil, etc is $300 but I'd really like to spend less. I can get a Stihl MS180 for about that. There's also a Jonsered 2050 which is apparently an older model that has literally never been used on our local Craigslist for $250 OBO that hasn't been sold in over a month. Another option is a Husqvarna 142 which with the 10% off coupon I have for Tractor Supply would be about $230. Then there's always a Poulan Pro or Craftsman in the $175 range. Also, maybe the case isn't a must-have since it will be stored on a shelf in my garage or shop and they all come with the scabard for the bar?

I've looked at the Arboristsite.com forum but the opinions there really seem to geared towards the pro user. Its very difficult to find opinions on there for a use like mine. I just can't justify spending so much for something I'm going to use so little.

I have 4 chainsaws and a lot full of oak. I have a commercial duty saw down to an electric pole chain saw. My first choice for everyday use is a year old CS-305 (new equivalent is cs-306 with a micro-lite bar) It weighs
9 pounds and has a bar brake goes for about 200 dollars with a 14 inch bar. I am impressed with its build quality and reliability...but mostly, feel safer using it after a couple hours because it is less tireing due to its thinner kerf blade and lighter weight.

Dave Bender
07-10-2008, 4:27 PM
Matt, as Al said Seafoam is the WD-40 of the motor world. Real popular up here in the northland where 20% of the population has a boat and where Seafoam rules. I don't like to run Seafoam all of the time, just to clean out carbs/fuel systems when needed. I do run Stabil all the time. If you're likely to let gas sit for more than 2-3 weeks then add Stabil.

I wouldn't let the gas sit in the carb all the time. I usually use the chainsaw a bunch once or twice a year. When not in use, I drain the tank, run it dry and then fog the engine with fogging oil (prevents corrosion in the cylinder). When I start it up again I'll add a splash of Seafoam to the first tank of gas to clean it out good. I've also switched to using Amsoil Sabre Professional and mix at 80:1 . It works well in the Stihl gear (chainsaw, weedwhacker, blower), ice auger, and a couple of other 2stroke motors around the house (not boat motors).

I would get that used Stihl 210, sounds like a good deal. Plus, you can use it once you enter the bowl turning vortex (you will someday).

Jim Becker
07-10-2008, 10:38 PM
I was going to suggest asking a Stihl dealer about buying a trade in...'glad the dealer brought it up!

Chris Kennedy
07-11-2008, 7:50 AM
Matt,

My family owns a small Stihl (don't remember the model) that sits in a shed literally half way around the world. Every couple of years we get it out and it always starts up no problem. I would strongly recommend the Stihl.

Cheers,

Chris

Matt Ocel
07-11-2008, 8:43 PM
Like Jim Becker I have the Stihl Farm boss .029.
Awesome!
Never a problem.
Starts good.
Alot of power.

Matt Meiser
08-01-2008, 10:15 PM
I went and looked at the trade-in MS210 today. It pretty much looks like new and the dealer has checked the tune, resharpened the chain and generally checked it over. With case, an extra chain, and tax it is going to run me exactly $250. I'm really happy because I feel like I'm getting something really good for a really good price. The same $250 on anything else would have gotten me a fair bit smaller saw. Plus there are at least 4 Stihl dealers I can think of off the top of my head within 20 minutes of my house, and this particular one is 2 minutes away. If I cut across the fields between his shop and my house he's probably 1/3 closer.

I'm picking it up in the morning since I didn't have the checkbook and didn't have time to go to the bank and back.

Rob Russell
08-02-2008, 4:23 AM
Buying the used, better saw is the way to go. More than a decade ago, I bought a used Stihl 044 (now the MS441) from a local Stihl dealer. For those times I need a saw, it's nice to know I have a good one and the power to get through stuff quickly.

Best of luck with the saw. Make sure you wear appropriate protection equipment. I bought one of those helmet things that has the face shield and ear muffs and am glad I did.

Matt Meiser
08-02-2008, 9:03 AM
Yeah, I want to pick up a set of chaps too. But adding the Stihl logo to them adds a lot of $$ so I'll probably pick them up at TSC or the BORG.

Dennis Peacock
08-02-2008, 10:03 AM
All I can say is that you are really gonna like that saw. :D

Matt Meiser
08-02-2008, 6:30 PM
Yep! Picked it up, brought it home, trimmed some trees, didn't swear once trying to start it or keep it running!

Jerry Olexa
08-05-2008, 10:06 PM
STIHL IMHO is by far, the best. They have a smaller unit for light duty under $200.

Matt Ranum
08-08-2008, 10:32 PM
We recently picked up an Echo CS-306 with the 14" narrow kerf chain for limbing the tops of the trees. The Husky 350 gets a little heavy for limbing after a while. The one single word that came to mind when using it was...

"Impressed"

It seemed to be cutting pretty quick on the limbs so I decided to try blocking off some of the butt end with it to see what it would do. 15 seconds to go through 12" of Oak, for a small 30cc saw thats pretty darn good, also ran for about 45 min on a tank of fuel too. As a matter of fact I liked it so much I bought the CS-400 with an 18" bar now too although I haven't had a chance to try that out yet. Hard to beat their 5 year warranty, and lifetime warranty on the ignition too.

Kevin Arceneaux
09-04-2008, 9:07 AM
I went to start mine to cut up limbs and stuff after Gustav and gas just started pouring out of it. Not a good sign.

So, off I went yesterday and bought a Husqvarna. NICE!!!! like moving from a Yugo to a BMW.

David G Baker
09-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Not too long after writing about how happy I was with my McCullough I had to use it to clear up some downed trees. It would take me 10 minutes of cranking to get it started. I took it apart cleaned it, removed the gas filter and cleaned it, made sure the gas line was flowing free and after that I still had the same problem. I spent a lot of time on line and the major opinion was that the company went out of business and the the saw was a throw away so I negotiated with a couple of Sthil dealers and bought a Farm Boss for $340. It is heavier than I like but it is ten times the saw and the company is still in business and parts are readily available.

Tim Self
09-06-2008, 8:10 AM
Right now I own a Poulan 18" and have used the dog out it in 5 yrs. from 30" elm to numerous bois de arc's. also borrowed the neighbors Stihl 210, to lazy to sharpen mine. the 210 is underpowered in comparison, IMHO, but a nic saw for the smaller stuff. was blocking out a 18" cedar. Both good saws but the wildthing goes for about $130-$150 with the case. However, the 210 has the easy start feature.

my .02

Matt Meiser
04-28-2010, 9:18 AM
Almost 2 year report--got it out yesterday to do some trimming (cut the mangled-by-the-tractor branches off the bottom 6' of a huge pine tree) started it right up and it worked until it was done except that I forgot to adjust the chain and it popped off. Really glad I didn't go cheap here. Looking at a pole saw now but I'm going to go electric on that. They seem to get good reviews and I can buy one cheaper than renting one twice.

Dennis Peacock
04-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Good to hear Matt.....Remember, if you drain the fuel out of it and run it until the carb is dry and THEN put it up for long term storage? It will last you MANY years.

Pole saw.....wow...I could use one of those. :)

Mike Archambeau
04-28-2010, 12:10 PM

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200371015_200371015

Ideal for jobs like pruning, lighter cutting tasks and hobby work. Easy to start and operate, thanks to built-in Husqvarna features like ergonomic design, facilitating technology and powerful X-TORQ engine with low emissions. U.S.A.

I have a Husky saw and it is a beautiful thing! Northern tool is a good suplier too.

Dave Johnson29
04-28-2010, 12:47 PM
and they all come with the scabard for the bar?

I have a Stihl, about my 3rd or 4th. Very good reliable little saws. I don't bother with a scabbard as I hang it out of harm's way on a nail. If they don't have a hole in the end of the blade then I drill one. Scabbards and cases, just more junk to throw out.

Matt Meiser
04-28-2010, 2:32 PM
Pole saw.....wow...I could use one of those. :)

This is what I'm looking at Dennis:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100615512&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100615512&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D28X-_-100615512&locStoreNum=6857&marketID=139

Gets good reviews both at Homedepot.com and Amazon. The drawback over gas is needing the extension cord, but at 1/5-1/6th the price I can buy a lot of cords. Not to mention the maintenance factor.

Dave Lehnert
04-28-2010, 9:04 PM
This is what I'm looking at Dennis:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100615512&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100615512&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D28X-_-100615512&locStoreNum=6857&marketID=139

Gets good reviews both at Homedepot.com and Amazon. The drawback over gas is needing the extension cord, but at 1/5-1/6th the price I can buy a lot of cords. Not to mention the maintenance factor.

I rent a gas unit at Home Depot for I think around $4o 1/2 day. The gas unit is so heavy after 4 hrs you feel like your arms are going to fall off.

Matt Meiser
04-28-2010, 9:15 PM
Huh...Our Home Depot said they don't rent them. I picked the electric one up tonight and it seems pretty decent, as best as I can tell having not used it yet. With a Harbor Freight 20% coupon that's the equivalent of 2 rentals.