PDA

View Full Version : Triton MOF001kc

John Galeener
07-09-2008, 9:49 AM
I am interested in purchasing this router for use with my Leigh D4 jig. I contacted Leigh and they said I need to get a Triton adapter TRA359 in order to use their guidebush but I have been unable to locate one on the net. Any suggestions?

Larry Prince
07-09-2008, 10:56 AM
I am interested in purchasing this router for use with my Leigh D4 jig. I contacted Leigh and they said I need to get a Triton adapter TRA359 in order to use their guidebush but I have been unable to locate one on the net. Any suggestions?

The triton routers come with an adapter which will accept Leigh guide bushes parts # 711TP & 716TP. You can see a picture of these two guides here: http://www.leighjigs.com/ugs.php What you're interested in are the brass parts in the picture about halfway down the page.

BTW, the Triton Adapter #TRA359 looks like a Leigh part number and they should have it. However, as I said, you don't need it. The adapter that comes with the Triton works just fine.

Also, FWIW, I find the Leigh bits with the 8MM shanks to work better than 1/4" shanks. The beefier shank seems to lead to a little less vibration and better cuts. Leigh has an 8MM adapter which will fit inside the Triton's 1/2 collet.

John Galeener
07-09-2008, 11:44 AM
thank you very much. i have the 8mm and they are much better

Steven Bolton
07-09-2008, 5:57 PM
I read a very favorable review of the Triton router in Fine Woodworking. It seems like a good value. Any one care to comment?

It seems odd that you can buy the 3.5 hp one for the same price as the 2.25 hp one.

Steve Bolton

jerry nazard
07-09-2008, 6:27 PM
Steven,

I have the 2 1/4. It's an amazing little machine and I would recommend it highly!

Best!

-Jerry

John Keeton
07-09-2008, 6:44 PM
I will probably end up with the 2.25, as well. Although the same price, the 2.25 is the only one with above table adjustment, and the accessories are different. I think the larger machine only comes with the edge guide. Been kind of waiting to get a deal, but I think the best price right now on the 2.25 is at Sommerfeld's.

I guess we highjacked and got off topic - sorry John!!

Bond Turner
07-09-2008, 9:51 PM
Just my two cents on Triton routers...I have gone through two of the 2 HP models and while it is a very well designed router the problem that I have had has been the service. Both times that the router failed (motor grounded) I had to pack it up and ship it to NJ area for service and wait two weeks typically.

I have since switched permanently to Milwaukee. PC is not what it used to be, but the Milwaukee body grip routers are excellent. I also recently purchased the combo set with the plunge and for the first plunge by Milwaukee, it is designed beatifully. No binding and a joy to use. I have also replaced my table mounted router with the 3 hp Milwaukee model and it is a workhorse. It is like having the power of a shaper with the workability of a router.

Also, the Milwaukee is made in the USA and has a 5 year warranty standard with dozens of local service centers wthin a few miles of where I work and live. I am very happy with the Milwaukee router family and would highly recommend them.

Neal Clayton
07-11-2008, 11:22 AM
I read a very favorable review of the Triton router in Fine Woodworking. It seems like a good value. Any one care to comment?

It seems odd that you can buy the 3.5 hp one for the same price as the 2.25 hp one.

Steve Bolton

i bought a triton to use with a leigh FMT. it's accurate, no complaints. has a bit more plastic on it than i would like, but on the upside it's lightweight for the same reason.