PDA

View Full Version : Incra LS17 users-->Question

matt dumney
07-09-2008, 2:24 AM
Hello,
I'm new to Incra system and I've been playing around to learn how to use this tool. So far so good but I want to know if it's possible to use one of the templates and an 9/16" x 7 degree bit with 1" of depth. I understand that no template provides for this size bit but does that mean I can't use this bit and the incra system? I assume that any bit can be used but I need some guidance in setup. The templates give a dimension for spacing to set depth of cut. One of the templates uses a 5/8" bit and shows the spacing to be 1 1/16 or 1 1/8 depending on which template is being used. How is this number determined? Is it possible to determine this for the 9/16" bit?
Thanks!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Jason Beam
07-09-2008, 12:14 PM
You can absolutely use the combination you're after. It just means figuring out the spacing you need - generally some trial and error will go a long way to understanding the system. I think that the spacing is pretty arbitrary. Many of the templates use the the width of the bit minus the "overhang" part of the dovetail itself - or maybe half that... if i were standing in front of my router table right now I'd be able to explain it succinctly - there's basically a formula that's pretty intuitive once you know all the factors.

As for finding bit height, it's just whatever the spacing turns out to be. You basically just need make two passes that are "equal" - that is, the tail width matches the pin width - this can take a little effort at first, but it's really just a trial and error thing, for me.