PDA

View Full Version : Oliver lathe 19??

Douglas Cole
07-08-2008, 11:52 PM
I have an old Oliver High school lathe that was metal converted to wood, uses a leather belt, and has a set of pullys on the bottom that hook to the motor with a locking nut. Looks like a 56 A but don't know for sure, because it has the hand crank for moving the tool rest.
Would like to know what kind of a motor I am suppose to hook up to this machine, any help in that direction would be appreciated. Just an old hobbyist, newly retired.
Is a heavy duty machine, approximately 800 pounds. (I think)

Jack Vines
07-09-2008, 12:37 AM
you need to post this on owwm.org Old WoodWorking Machines

Rob Will
07-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Welcome to SMC Doug.
As Jack suggested OWWM is a good place to get info on older machines.
If you have a digital camera, you might want to post a picture of your lathe here as well.

In order to post a pic, it must be 100kb or less in size. You can download "Pixresizer" from the web to get this job done.

Many members here have old machines (myself included). We would like to see yours.

Rob

Douglas Cole
07-09-2008, 1:29 PM
you need to post this on owwm.org Old WoodWorking MachinesThank you, I will do that. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep this thing or fix it up and pass it on. It has been a very long time since I have used it. But I always enjoyed playing with it.

Douglas Cole
07-09-2008, 1:33 PM
Welcome to SMC Doug.
As Jack suggested OWWM is a good place to get info on older machines.
If you have a digital camera, you might want to post a picture of your lathe here as well.

In order to post a pic, it must be 100kb or less in size. You can download "Pixresizer" from the web to get this job done.

Many members here have old machines (myself included). We would like to see yours.

RobRob I will do that, I will download the suggested program, and hopefully get back to you soon.
As I had mentioned to Jack I'm not sure if I am going to keep this or pass it on and get one that will do and is easier to move. The wife and I are kicking around heading South. Although we are looking at places that have or could have a work shop, that Oliver is a bear to move.

Brian Weick
08-02-2008, 8:06 PM
1 hp 220vlt , 3ph inverter duty motor. this motor was not necessarily a standard motor when ordering this lathe, or any other lathe from Oliver for that matter, and there were many options for motor hp ratings when ordering your lathe. The only reason I say that you should get a inverter duty 3ph motor is because if you get a Variable frequency drive you can control the motor speed ,direction and much more , along with soft start and soft slow deceleration.
Brian