PDA

View Full Version : Jet belt/disc sander???

John Terefenko
07-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Looking at buying the Jet belt/ disc sander JSG-6DC. Has anyone had experience with this machine and if so what is your opinions??? Has anyone seen a good price on this???? Is there a better sander that might be worth a look??? Thanks in advance.

Charlie Plesums
07-08-2008, 11:38 PM
I have a smaller belt/disc sander that I rarely use. Yet I wish for an edge sander. Since there is no reference "table" to keep the work square to the belt, I found that I could mess up square edges at a rapid rate.

Lance Norris
07-09-2008, 5:56 AM
I have the smaller Jet with the 9"disc X 48" belt. It is an excellent machine and I use it all the time. I would recommend it and the larger machine you list is just as well built and even more powerful. I think you will enjoy having it in your shop. A belt/disc combo comes in very handy for me.

Matt Meiser
07-09-2008, 7:32 AM
I have the same one as Lance which is nice. A larger disc would be even better. The tables also look nicer on the one you are looking at. I think there is a Powermatic in that size and Grizzly has one as well.

I agree with Charlie that an edge sander would be nice, but they take up a fair amount of space, and for what I think I'd use it for, I currently use a block plane and a guided circular saw system. The edge sander would probably do most things you could do with the belt disc sander.

Greg Narozniak
07-09-2008, 7:37 AM
I have the Jet, it is an old unit when Jet was painted grey. It's a nice unit and I have no issues with it. I picked it up for a next to nothing so I cannot complain.

If I was going to do it again I would go for the Disc and Oss Spindle combo grizzly has but that may not be your needs. It is more suited for woodworking but as I said your mileage may vary.

The Grizzly 1750 rpm disk belt sander would be my choice if I was going to replace mine with an identical unit. Lots of good reviews out there on that unit.

jason lambert
07-09-2008, 11:34 AM
I have that unit started out with the small jet and returned it because of the tables will not stay put and flex alot on the disk side, they corrected the problem on this the tables are very solid.

I would recomend this.

Pros:
Solid build
built in wheels.
plenty of power. (this is one machine that needs power)
nice belt adjustnment
Heavy weight.
Good storage in cabnet underneeth.
Solid on off switch.

Cons:
4" dust port is not all that affective could be better but can be modified to a 6" very easly.

Thumb screw on belt cover should be a quick release so you don't loose the screw and takes less time.

Table on the belt side could be much lower so you can use more of the belt for large pieces of wood.

Can't use top of belt around roller because the guard is not removable.

Wheels on cart basically useless barly work. Might just be mind though I have to look at it, just have not had time.

Hope this helps so far I like this sander.

John Terefenko
07-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks all for the replies. Does anyone have a good place to get a good deal on one of these??? Maybe a discount of some sort??? Does mentioning Sawmill Creek at any dealer get a better price???? I have found in my area I can get it for $850 without the stand.

Dennis Lopeman
07-09-2008, 1:13 PM
I use my shopsmith - it has a saw blade iron plate thingie that has sticky sand paper that sticks to it... works great...

not everyone has a SS, but there's gotta be a table saw one out there...

Paul B. Cresti
07-09-2008, 1:32 PM
I have had the Jet 6dck combo sander for many years...with no complaints. I think that many companies offer a similiar machine - grizzly, woodteck (woodworkers supply), etc.. Getting good belts though is a important. The ones I have are ok but eventually I would like to get ones that do not stretch

Greg Narozniak
07-09-2008, 3:15 PM
Thanks all for the replies. Does anyone have a good place to get a good deal on one of these??? Maybe a discount of some sort??? Does mentioning Sawmill Creek at any dealer get a better price???? I have found in my area I can get it for $850 without the stand.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Combination-Sander-6-x-48-Belt-12-Disc-1725-RPM/G1276

Cheaper than $850 :)

jason lambert
07-09-2008, 4:34 PM
Jet is 215 lbs 1.5 hp 4" dust port
Grizzly 155 lbs 1 hp 3" dust port

The Grizzly looks good but definally less of a sander. I found HP in these important if you really want ot take stuff down. But both look good.