PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment center design help

Gordy Anderson
07-08-2008, 9:43 PM
I want to build something similar to this...

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ProjectsAndDesign/ProjectsAndDesignPDF.aspx?id=2878

My plan is a little different, with base cabinets 16" deep and doors all the way across. Then add shelves on top, 12" deep, and the opening in the center for a flat screen.

I have 11' to work with so I figured 3' in the middle and twin 2 ft shelves on the outsides, because a 4 ft span seemed like too much.

I'm thinking that the best way is to build the plywood base cabinets, add a shelf on top of the base cabinets using 2 layers of plywood, then add the shelf uprights on top of that. The plywood on top of the base cabinets would prolly be a little proud (1/2"?) of the base cabinets, and 26" off the floor to match the height of a bay window seat on an adjacent wall. Once the entire plywood carcass is in, add trim on the front similar to the article.

I was planning to use Sommerfelds tongue & groove system for the cabinets, and some combination of pocket screws, dowelmax or biscuits to align and attach the upper shelves to the base cabinets.

After all of that, doors made with stile and rails with flat plywood panels using the Sommerfeld 3-pc shaker router set.

Does any of that make sense? Anyone have a better idea?

This is my first attempt at built ins and I need all the suggestions I can get. TIA Gordy

John Keeton
07-09-2008, 6:47 AM
Gordy, this wasn't really your question, but I am going to offer an unsolicited comment. I went thru the idea of an entertainment center 3-4 years ago. As you know already, it is a good deal of work and money for materials. In the end, I decided not to do it because of the everchanging technology with TVs. The size of the TV, the type of screen, the placement in the room, are all variables that change over short periods of time.

On the other hand, when I put that much work into a project, I want it to have a longer useful life than 4-5 years.

You may view this differently. I have friends that still are watching the same TV they had 10 years ago. However, my decision, at least for us, was correct. We have since changed our TV, moved it, and the entertainment center that I would have built, would not work now. Given the relative drop in the price of TVs, I could see even greater technology with more options in another 5 years, which is the expected life of our relatively new widescreen.

Just another thought.

Gordy Anderson
07-09-2008, 4:40 PM
Gordy, this wasn't really your question, but I am going to offer an unsolicited comment. I went thru the idea of an entertainment center 3-4 years ago. As you know already, it is a good deal of work and money for materials. In the end, I decided not to do it because of the everchanging technology with TVs. The size of the TV, the type of screen, the placement in the room, are all variables that change over short periods of time.

On the other hand, when I put that much work into a project, I want it to have a longer useful life than 4-5 years.

You may view this differently. I have friends that still are watching the same TV they had 10 years ago. However, my decision, at least for us, was correct. We have since changed our TV, moved it, and the entertainment center that I would have built, would not work now. Given the relative drop in the price of TVs, I could see even greater technology with more options in another 5 years, which is the expected life of our relatively new widescreen.

Just another thought.

Right. I'm putting in a hi-def 32" plasma wide screen. That's about as good as it gets nowadays. Thanks, Gordy

Dave Robertson
07-09-2008, 8:19 PM
Gordy, I have a 37" plasma tv. The width is 38". The 32" you are looking at might be 33". If I were you I would make the middle opening able to fit at least a 43" tv. Trust me a when you see them you wish you had bought a bigger one. The 16" depth on your base cabinets might be a little small. I have a comcast hi-def box which measures 13" deep without all the wires coming from the back. My tv is on a credenza type cabinet. The tv is about 4" thick but the wires stick out about 4 to 5" which makes it around 9" deep coming from the back. Which means your tv will be close to the 12" depth of your shelving. Do yourself a favor and try and get all the measurements of the tv and components before starting to build. Hope this helps. Dave

Joe Jensen
07-09-2008, 8:53 PM
I have built a few entertainment centers. One thing I will always include in future designs is a way to slide out, or swizzle out, the equipment rack. Trying to wire components, and then slide them into the opening without mucking things up is highly frustrating.

Per Swenson
07-09-2008, 9:15 PM
I would like to add a little to what Joe just said.

Incorporate a fan or two, there are all kinds available,

but here is one picked randomly for reference.

http://www.smarthome.com/8734fcc.html

Also consider your home theater options.

You might find that when building a wall unit that

it is advantageous to put the center, front L/R and sub

into the design of the piece.

see here...http://www.surroundsolutions.com/cgi-bin/surroundsolutions.cgi/results_prod.html?prodgroup=2&catcode=1034&top_disp=1&title=In%20Wall%20Speakers

I only suggest these ideas, because the actual building of built ins is pretty basic. What really is rewarding is building one that actually suits your needs now and in the future and retains its uniqueness by thoughtful and custom design.

Per