PDA

View Full Version : 3/4" Chisel for Delta Mortiser 14-651

Lance Norris
07-08-2008, 9:00 PM
Is there a 3/4" chisel and bit for the above Delta mortiser? It doesnt have to be a Delta chisel, just be able to fit the 14-651 mortiser.

Ben Cadotte
07-08-2008, 11:00 PM
The delta has a 5/8" max shank for the chisel body and thats the hard part. Most of the bigger chisels I have found are 3/4" shank.

woodworkers supply lists a 3/4" bit and chisel set for 39.99. Says 5/8" shank in the main description.

Rick Potter
07-09-2008, 6:30 PM
If I remember correctly, Delta had a 3/4" accessory bushing available. I know I bought one (an extra bushing), but since moving, I have no idea where it is, so I cannot check for you. Check a Delta catalog.

Rick Potter

Lance Norris
07-09-2008, 9:35 PM
If I remember correctly, Delta had a 3/4" accessory bushing available. I know I bought one (an extra bushing), but since moving, I have no idea where it is, so I cannot check for you. Check a Delta catalog.

Rick Potter

Rick... how does the bushing help me?

Kirk Poore
07-10-2008, 4:18 PM
I have a Jet 3/4" chisel set I use in my Greenlee. It has a 5/8" chisel shank, which is the same as my 1/2" and 3/8" sets. Cost was about $50 at Woodcraft a couple years ago.

I'm not familiar with that model mortiser, but beware that you'll be moving 2-1/4 times as much wood as you would with a 1/2" chisel set. So I'd go slow.

Kirk

Brent Smith
07-10-2008, 4:37 PM
Hi Lance,

Just curious, but why not just make double passes with a smaller chisel. I think 3/4" is a lot for this machine to handle.

Verne Mattson
07-10-2008, 4:58 PM
Hi Lance,

Just curious, but why not just make double passes with a smaller chisel. I think 3/4" is a lot for this machine to handle.

I'd have to echo Brent's comment. I just made 3/4" mortises in ash using a 1/2" bit in building a new bench. My Delta had a tough time with the ash, clogging frequently no matter the feedrate. Made me wish for a more powerful mortiser, although it's unlikely I'll be making another bench anytime soon.

Lance Norris
07-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi Lance,

It would be nice for making clean through mortises for bookshelves and the like. I cant get nice 3/4" mortises when I overlap with the 1/2" chisel

John Thompson
07-11-2008, 12:16 PM
I attempted to purchase a 3/4" CMT chisel twice Lance.. but both attempts ended up with out of stock and not sure when vendor will re-stock. That led me to believe CMT gets little call for the chisel outside industrial use. I really prefer the CMT.

But.. with that said, the others have given excellent advice about a double pass. I leave a 3/8" on board and just double pass to get a 3/4". I could cut the time in half as I do quite a few 3/4" and 1" tenons expecially build work-benches.

But again.... there is another factor to be considered running a chisel that wide for one pass. I have a Bridgewood 700 lb. floor mortiser with plenty of horse-power and an abundunce of large gearing to make a single pass up to 1 1/2" wide. My machine is capable of that.

The Delta is 1/2 HP with much smaller gearing on the plunge lever. That's why it is hard to find 3/4" bits for a small mortiser as the manufacturers realize the small group that would use them as Industrail. And I also belive they recognize what their machine is engineered to handle.

Frankly with your machine.. I would not consder running a 3/4" chisel day to day as I don't feel it has the Horse or gears to hold up in hard-wood day in.. day out...

Good luck...

Sarge..

Lance Norris
07-11-2008, 9:25 PM
I attempted to purchase a 3/4" CMT chisel twice Lance.. but both attempts ended up with out of stock and not sure when vendor will re-stock. That led me to believe CMT gets little call for the chisel outside industrial use. I really prefer the CMT.

But.. with that said, the others have given excellent advice about a double pass. I leave a 3/8" on board and just double pass to get a 3/4". I could cut the time in half as I do quite a few 3/4" and 1" tenons expecially build work-benches.

But again.... there is another factor to be considered running a chisel that wide for one pass. I have a Bridgewood 700 lb. floor mortiser with plenty of horse-power and an abundunce of large gearing to make a single pass up to 1 1/2" wide. My machine is capable of that.

The Delta is 1/2 HP with much smaller gearing on the plunge lever. That's why it is hard to find 3/4" bits for a small mortiser as the manufacturers realize the small group that would use them as Industrail. And I also belive they recognize what their machine is engineered to handle.

Frankly with your machine.. I would not consder running a 3/4" chisel day to day as I don't feel it has the Horse or gears to hold up in hard-wood day in.. day out...

Good luck...

Sarge..

Good advice...Thanks

Rick Potter
07-12-2008, 2:15 AM
I just went out to the shop and managed to find the bushing. My mortiser is a 14-650, and I believe yours is the improved version of that. It has a 5/8 bushing, and the box for the chisels says that all chisels from 1/4" to 1/2" use the 5/8 bushing. My extra bushing, which I have not used yet is 3/4", and takes any brand or size with a 3/4" shank. When I bought it, I was told that Clico (?) was a very good brand, and had a 3/4" shank.

By simply switching the bushings I can use other brands, and many have a
3/4" chisel available. As some have said, it is a pretty big chisel so go slow.

The bushing part number from Delta is 14-602, and I am pretty sure it would fit your machine, but check first.

I also have a riser kit that raises the column of the machine up so you can fit wood up to 5 3/4" in it. That number is 13-611.

Hope this helps,

Rick Potter

Lance Norris
07-12-2008, 6:02 AM
Thanks Rick... I have the bushing and the riser. I never understood what the bushing did. I will have to go find it and look for a chisel with a 3/4" shank.

John Thompson
07-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Clico is an excellent chisel and in England where they are made you can get one for our equilavent of around $12-$14 according to my English WW freinds. But... the last time I looked you will pay around $100 a pop on the U.S. market? Go figure.... I opted to do the double pass with a $20 plus CMT which all have 3/4" shanks.

If they only had the 3/4" chisel.. I will try my source today on-line as I do every so often just to be sure.

Sarge..

Chris Cohick
06-01-2015, 9:12 AM
I just went out to the shop and managed to find the bushing. My mortiser is a 14-650, and I believe yours is the improved version of that. It has a 5/8 bushing, and the box for the chisels says that all chisels from 1/4" to 1/2" use the 5/8 bushing. My extra bushing, which I have not used yet is 3/4", and takes any brand or size with a 3/4" shank. When I bought it, I was told that Clico (?) was a very good brand, and had a 3/4" shank.

By simply switching the bushings I can use other brands, and many have a
3/4" chisel available. As some have said, it is a pretty big chisel so go slow.

The bushing part number from Delta is 14-602, and I am pretty sure it would fit your machine, but check first.

I also have a riser kit that raises the column of the machine up so you can fit wood up to 5 3/4" in it. That number is 13-611.

Hope this helps,

Rick Potter

Resurrecting a dead thread, anybody know where I can obtain the adapter mentioned in Rick's comment?

Thanks,

Ole Anderson
06-01-2015, 2:01 PM
I love (really do!) reading these threads that turn out to be 7 years old. On some forums you will get bashed by the moderators for not starting a new thread, that is one more thing I like about the Creek!

Earl McLain
06-01-2015, 2:10 PM
ereplacementparts.com shows the bushings as obsolete for the Delta 14-651 (all 3 Types). They do stock 5/8" and 3/4" bushings for the Jet JBM-5. My Jet bushings measure 63/64" or 24.95mm OD on a HF digital caliper--don't know the dimension of a Delta bushing, but would be worth measuring. Cost is about $8 plus shipping if it works.
earl

Chris Cohick
06-01-2015, 2:37 PM
ereplacementparts.com shows the bushings as obsolete for the Delta 14-651 (all 3 Types). They do stock 5/8" and 3/4" bushings for the Jet JBM-5. My Jet bushings measure 63/64" or 24.95mm OD on a HF digital caliper--don't know the dimension of a Delta bushing, but would be worth measuring. Cost is about $8 plus shipping if it works.
earl

That is an attractive, low cost gamble, Earl. I may give that a shot. Just going by the picture of the part on ereplacementparts.com, I can see that the flange of the Jet part is quite a bit thicker than the Delta part. That may not make a difference as far as functionality goes. Thanks for the info!

Earl McLain
06-01-2015, 7:26 PM
I just went back out and measured--the flange is about 9/16" and i think in one of these threads it was noted that the Delta flange was 1/8". Overall length is just over 1 1/2", so it goes right at an inch into the bore--that and the hole for the chisel set screw would seem to be the most critical since it matches the 0.984 diameter. Only problem the thicker flange might cause could be keeping the chisel from being inserted enough to let the drill get to the chuck. If necessary, I don't know if grinding the flange would be easier than fabricating one? Good luck.
earl

Chris Cohick
06-04-2015, 9:04 AM
I found this link in another thread. This might be the answer. http://www.drill-bushings.com/index.htm