PDA

View Full Version : First Post and a question :)

David Hullum
07-08-2008, 8:14 PM
Hi I have been lurking for awhile and all of the information that I have gotten has been very helpful. Thank you to everyone. Currently turning bowls, pens and other odds and ends.

My question is can you inlay the Christian fish without the use of a laser? I have searched everywhere with no results.

http://stores.penobscotpens.com/catalog/P220int%7E1.jpg

lynn smith
07-08-2008, 8:24 PM
Hi David,
First off as I was informed, you can get in a lot of trouble lurking, so glad you showed your face. :)
Welcome to the best forum online.
Is that one of your pens?
That is really cool.

David Hullum
07-08-2008, 8:26 PM
No I just found the photo online. Thanks for the welcome. I hope to make a couple of these but I don't have a laser. I hope it is possible along the lines of the swirl technique.

Andrew Derhammer
07-08-2008, 8:29 PM
The only way i could think of was to stack cut 2 pieces with a scroll saw. That or use the force Lukehttp://www.websmileys.com/sm/violent/sterb159.gif:p

Brian Brown
07-08-2008, 8:52 PM
I can think of one way to do it, but it is not inlay. This way would leave your fish on both sides of the pen. I'm a lousy writer, so instead of me trying to describe it, I'll refer you to Malcolm Tibbetts book "The Art of segmented Turning". Read the section on lamination trickery, especially the part about making curved lines. The whole book is good, but this part will help you with your question. It is a lot like doing a Celtic knot.

Steve Schlumpf
07-08-2008, 9:05 PM
David - I have no idea about pens - never turned any. Just wanted to Welcome you to the Creek! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

robert hainstock
07-08-2008, 9:39 PM
I can not imagine how you'd do it, but certainly looking forward to your pix and tutorial of your finisherd pen. :):)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2008, 9:49 PM
Welcome David. Not sure how to but wanted to welcome you.

michael gallagher
07-08-2008, 9:51 PM
David-

I haven't tried it yet, but go to penturners dot org and there is a tutorial on how to do it. Make sure you post it once you get it completed, and welcome to the (addictive) Creek!

Michael

Andrew Derhammer
07-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Just did some thinking, Drill the hole first, put the pattern on the piece of wood and using a coping saw to cut it out, and make the inlay to fit in, you'd have to be pretty precise.

David Hullum
07-09-2008, 7:04 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys I certainly will post pictures if I can figure it out.:D I am going to do some more research.

Steve Busey
07-09-2008, 8:19 AM
I haven't tried it yet, but go to penturners dot org and there is a tutorial on how to do it.

Michael, can you provide a link? I haven't been able to find a tutorial like that over there.
Thanks!

Mike Vickery
07-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Well does not answer your actual question.

But if you question would have been where can I buy a Christian Fish Inlay kit?
this would be the answer
http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com/servlet/StoreFront

David Hullum
07-09-2008, 2:38 PM
Ya that is where I got the picture from there has to be a way to do it.

Mike Vickery
07-09-2008, 3:03 PM
With hand tools to do it like him would be very difficult. However if you were willing for the inlay to not be wood, you could scroll saw (or dremel) the design out of the blank and fill the hole with colored epoxy or ever a mixture of colored epoxy and crushed stone.
Good luck!

David Hullum
07-09-2008, 5:02 PM
Wow great idea I didn't think of that. I will have to experiment. Would it be easier to dremel before or after the rounding of the blank or would it produce a different shape when rounded.

Mike Vickery
07-09-2008, 5:38 PM
Wow great idea I didn't think of that. I will have to experiment. Would it be easier to dremel before or after the rounding of the blank or would it produce a different shape when rounded.

I have never done it before but based on the segmented pens I have made I would expect the pattern to distort slightly when rounding. For the fish patern you want I do not think the distortion will be signifigant.

If I were going to try it using a dremel I would round the blank first (to minimize distortion and less material to remove). If I was going to try it using a scroll saw I would try it on a squared blank (easier to cut) first.

But I am just guessing. Good luck!

David Hullum
07-09-2008, 9:58 PM
Thanks! I think I will try it this weekend on a scrap piece. I will post pictures .:)

jason lambert
07-10-2008, 11:37 AM
What about making your own wood fillier tight bond and sawdust of whatever wood or blend you want. Dremal, Fill it and turn best of all if you have a void save some filler and just touch it up.

Never did it just a guess... let us knwo how you work this out.