PDA

View Full Version : Tool Taxonomy / Organization

John Mooney
07-08-2008, 5:12 PM
So after 2.5 half-years, I've finally completed the conversion of the third-stall of my garage into a dedicated workroom (yes, I know I should post some pictures!)

My definition of complete is that I finally have numerous cabinets and drawers in place so I can start to unload my tools from the boxes stacked all over the shop.

But I'd like to do it right and get organized from the get go. To me, this means figuring out logical tool groups and assigning (and labelling) the spaces.

So fellow creekers, have you done this exercise yourself and if so, what's been your strategy?

Also, is anyone perhaps aware of any reference lists of tool categories and tools out on the net?

Thanks,
-- John

John Sanford
07-08-2008, 5:35 PM
Rule #1: Group tools with their accessories. That means put the drill bits in proximity to the drill press, saw blades near the saws, push blocks at the jointer (or tablesaw, i.e, wherever you use them), etc.

Rule #2: Group stuff together based on how YOU work. Stashing your carving mallet on the opposite side of the shop from the carving tools only makes sense if the carving mallet is used frequently for whacking other things, while the carving tools are rarely used.

Rule #3: Group all (or as many as possible) of your marking/measuring tools together.

Rule #4: Frequency of use dictates proximity and accessibility, or, don't hide your Witchamawhonker that you use everytime you're in the shop in the deepest, darkest recess of that corner cabinet.

Rule #5: Visibility. Have your most commonly used tools/accessories VISIBLE if at all possible.

Rule #5: Duplicates. If you have them and can build dedicated work stations/toolboxes, then do so. Having a set of bench chisels at the bench, and then having a set of beater chisels for when you have to go down the road and fix somebody's thingamajig, is quite handy. Ditto for screwdrivers, hammers, tape measures, etc.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-08-2008, 5:41 PM
John makes a lot of sense.
However my method is ~ ~ ~
Ummm where'd I leave that?

Peter Quinn
07-08-2008, 6:18 PM
I'm not completely disorganized but my shop's progression has been a sort of organic evolution more than a single organized push to sort and label things. Plus I have a long skinny shop (18.5' X 70") so I have little cubbies and cabinets that have sprung up all over like gremlins or dandelions or something rather than one central area. I tend to improve a work station or build a storage unit when the need arises, which means I'm so sick of tripping over something I break down and do it.

I read a paper a while back about a campus expansion at UCLA where they waited to put in side walks. They built buildings, planted grass, then watched where the students actually traveled and trampled the grass. Next summer they put in side walks where people actually needed them. Sort of form follows function.

I avoid building too much organized infrastructure in a working shop until I have built a few things in it and get a feel for what works. I'd put away the label maker and start making saw dust for a bit personally.

Gary Lange
07-08-2008, 6:27 PM
My shop is progressing along also and I learn from others how to organize it. I have just learn a bunch from John about the 5 rules of shop organization. I also bought a magazine called America's Best Home Workshops which has a lot of good ideas and information.

glenn bradley
07-08-2008, 6:52 PM
I watch what I reach for and where I am when I want it (this sometimes means buying a second one). If there aren't drawers nearby, I build them in (like my workbench . . . didn't know I needed those items so close).

I ended up (and you may not) with measuring and marking in the top drawer of my workbench. I thought it would be chisels but I reach for them less than the other stuff so they are one drawer down. Below that are scrapers and the stuff to maintain them. Bottom drawer holds a cordless drill so I don't have to cross the shop to get one (the others are where they are used most).

I have cleats on one wall with one more to go. I have storage panels, clamp racks, etc. on the cleats and they used to get rearranged depending what I was doing. They haven't moved for awhile . .. . maybe I'm getting close(?).

So, you get my drift . . . watch where you are and what you need and stash items accordingly. That is unless you like to display your tools and are willing to be inconvenienced for the sake of a nice appearances. I am not against that. I actually try to combine them. Neat and organized and handy at the same time. Sometimes I win, sometimes I have to take a step and reach for something. ;-)

P.s. anything I don't use almost daily goes in a cabinet or on a shelf.

Jim Becker
07-08-2008, 8:38 PM
I'm kinda like Cliff, except I sometimes actually remember where I put something as long as the anal signals are working right...but I do think that putting things convenient to where they will be used is a good idea.

David Giles
07-08-2008, 8:43 PM
I like John's rules. Here's my take.

1. Move everything that you don't use often somewhere else. Finding stuff is easier when there is less stuff.

2. Cleats are your organizational friend.

3. Too many drawers is just another way to hide stuff.

4. Never put a tool back until the project is finished. If I used it once, I'll use it again. Ditto for router bits.

Rich Engelhardt
07-09-2008, 5:40 AM
Hello,
Most - if not all - of my shop equipment & supplies do double duty as shop items and jobsite items.
I went to Wal-Mart and bought several of the large (6 gal?) plastic storage boxes with lids for ~ $5.00 ea.
My wife taped a piece of paper to the outside that lists the contents of each one.
It's low tech - but it works.
I also fastened cleats to the outside of the tubs so they can hang up & out of the way.

For smaller items,like screws.nuts/bolts/washers, I picked up a bunch of smaller plastic containers w/lids.
I used a marker to list what sizes are in each box - or in some cases simply a generic size such as 1/4" - all 1/4" lags screws. washers, nuts & bolts, etc. go inside.