PDA

View Full Version : Need Help on Doorbell

Harley Reasons
07-08-2008, 4:25 PM
Ok guys, I know this isn't strictly woodworking, but as part of my den remodel project I had to remove the doorbell chimes. When I hooked it back up it only will play one note when the front button is pushed. I removed the front button and it has an electronic device attached to each post. I would surmise that this is a diode, capacitor or (enter guess here). Does anyone have any idea what the heck I need? The markings on it appear to be a G with 2 straight silver lines vertically above it and a silver band at the top. Appears to be a number I believe is 40?2. The third digit is illegible.
I went down to the local Radio Shack and the kid working there was totally clueless as to what I need. We tried matching it up to something in their stock with no luck.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Here is a clickable thumbnail of the little jewel
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a333/130Pitboss/sawdust%20pile/th_100_3418.jpg (http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a333/130Pitboss/sawdust%20pile/100_3418.jpg)

Lee Schierer
07-08-2008, 4:57 PM
It appears to be a diode. You can check it with an ohmeter. It should conduct one way (short circuit) and not conduct the other way when you reverse the leads of the meter.

Door bells work on 24 volts, usually AC and the push buttomns are the first things that die. The diode is probably for the neon light in the push button. Buy a new button would be my suggestion.

glenn bradley
07-08-2008, 4:58 PM
I fixed this for LOML's mom. It is a diode. I found mine at radio shack but, go online, get their part number, then call the kid at the store and ask if they have it. It was less that a buck.

Alan Schaffter
07-08-2008, 5:21 PM
Yup, it is a diode. Since you are dealing with low voltage, just about any diode at Radio Shack will likely work.

Peter Quinn
07-08-2008, 6:24 PM
Am I the only one feeling a bad blues song comin on?

"My Diode Died, and left me with the bell wont ring blues....

Went down to Radio shack, kid said there's nothing he could do....

Yes Sir my Diode Died, and left me with the bell wont ring blueeees....!":D

Steven Allen
07-08-2008, 7:27 PM
looks like you have an older nutone musical door chime, reverse the diode at front door and test again. the diode is there to latch in the circuit to play chime after the button is released, when you removed the chime and reconnected you may have reversed the pair of wires going to the front door,
make sure you connected the front return wire to front door terminal at chime and not to side or rear terminal

if you cant get it to work post model of the chime

Harley Reasons
07-09-2008, 9:41 AM
looks like you have an older nutone musical door chime, reverse the diode at front door and test again. the diode is there to latch in the circuit to play chime after the button is released, when you removed the chime and reconnected you may have reversed the pair of wires going to the front door,
make sure you connected the front return wire to front door terminal at chime and not to side or rear terminal

if you cant get it to work post model of the chime
Steve you are "AMAZIN", your physic powers are working great. It is indeed an 1980's era Nutone Musical unit.
When I removed the unit from the wall I marked the wires with masking tape as to which terminal they went to. After I posted yesterday, the LOML remined me that the unit would only play one note when the button was pushed before the remodel.
I went to the Radio Shack yesterday and got another diode so I'll install that this morning and see how it works. One thing I didn't realize was that the diodes are directional, so if it doesn't work right in one direction that I need to reverse it.
Thanks for everyones help.