View Full Version : Turned "catch-all"

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
04-21-2004, 11:32 AM
A fellow at work wanted a turned cherry bowl with a lid to give his wife for all of her "stuff". (I thought only guys had stuff, women had necessities) Anyway, here's what I came up with. I turned the bowl out of a piece of cherry from the pile, and decided to do the lid out of corian, since I seem to have an abundant supply on hand. The fellow wants a picture of his kids engraved on the lid (that's why I did the corian, so it would be pristine) and I didn't want a wooden lid to distort, move or get broken over the years. I'll mail the lid to Keith and see if I can get him to work his magic on it for me. The bowl is seven inches in diameter and 3 inches tall. I left the top a little larger in diameter to allow it to be picked up easier. I just put on a Danish Oil finish. He wanted it left "rustic" ... I like those requests. Rustic, I'm good at. Thanks for looking.

Wolf Kiessling
04-21-2004, 1:50 PM
A fellow at work wanted a turned cherry bowl with a lid to give his wife for all of her "stuff". (I thought only guys had stuff, women had necessities) Anyway, here's what I came up with. I turned the bowl out of a piece of cherry from the pile, and decided to do the lid out of corian, since I seem to have an abundant supply on hand. The fellow wants a picture of his kids engraved on the lid (that's why I did the corian, so it would be pristine) and I didn't want a wooden lid to distort, move or get broken over the years. I'll mail the lid to Keith and see if I can get him to work his magic on it for me. The bowl is seven inches in diameter and 3 inches tall. I left the top a little larger in diameter to allow it to be picked up easier. I just put on a Danish Oil finish. He wanted it left "rustic" ... I like those requests. Rustic, I'm good at. Thanks for looking.

That's a pretty good looking piece of work, Ron. Normally, I wouldn't be fond of the cherry wood/corian combination, HOWEVER, due to your stated intentions, it works just fine. Also, normally, I wouldn't be too fond of the shape of the vessel, BUT, again, in view of it's intended purpose, it's very nice and couldn't be better. Overall, a topnotch effort and your fellow worker should be very happy with it. (I would be)

Tyler Howell
04-21-2004, 1:53 PM
Is that wooden Tupperware??? How do yo burp it??:D

Looks great.

04-21-2004, 2:19 PM
Is that wooden Tupperware??? How do yo burp it??:D

Looks great.

Tyler ... I guess since my neighbor told me it looked like a miniature chamber pot, you'd have to smack it on the bottom to burp it ...

Wolf ... I know what you mean about the mixing of the corian and the unimaginative shape ... but he wanted something simple and was basically after the picture on the top. Even though some woods do great showing the picture when it's engraved, I was afraid the cherry might darken over time and lose some of the detail. Could just be me, I suppose, but hey, that's what artistic is all about, isn't it?

Thanks, Guys

Richard Allen
04-21-2004, 2:32 PM
Hi Ron

You made one about a year ago. It was all cherry and even had a shallow tray in it. You used LLD on that. How is that piece doing?

Thanks

04-21-2004, 9:54 PM
Hi Ron

You made one about a year ago. It was all cherry and even had a shallow tray in it. You used LLD on that. How is that piece doing?

Thanks

Glad you remembered that one, Richard. The lid on it warped some (didn't soak it in LDD first), causing me to have to refinish it and make it a little smaller diameter to still fit. It wasn't too bad, but that's what I kept in mind when he asked for this one. I made the lid for that one to go inside the bowl, so I did this one to sit over a small flange on the outside of the rim. I also made the corian inside diameter 1/16" bigger to allow for a little wood movement. I an't wait to see it when Keith's done with the engraving.

Keith Outten
05-07-2004, 12:34 AM
Ron,

Here is the lid engraved with your graphic. Sorry about the picture, my flash washed out the Corian color and made it appear white.

Chris Padilla
05-07-2004, 12:12 PM
Nice editing on the picture, Keith. Very well done and pretty darn cool!