PDA

View Full Version : Oneida resorting to telemarketing?

Matt Meiser
07-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Has anyone else gotten a phone call from Oneida suggesting that it is time to replace their filters? Funny thing though--I don't own an Oneida filter. I do own one of their component cyclones and have bought a few other smaller items from them. I don't even use filters on my cyclone.

I'm 1/2 wondering if it was a scam. If not, and if someone from Oneida is reading this, I'll ask you: Do you really want to use the same marketing techniques as scumbag credit card companies and car dealerships?

Ted Calver
07-08-2008, 1:21 PM
I got the same call last week. They left a voice mail saying it was important that they talk to me regarding my system. I thought there was a safety issue and called back, only to be asked if it wasn't time to replace my filter. It was a pleasant enough conversation...not at all pushy....and they accepted my no thank you without a struggle. My thought is that times are tough all over and sales of systems are probably down or flat. I'll cut them some slack considering the state of the economy.

Bob Slater
07-08-2008, 1:57 PM
I got a few of calls from Oneida over the winter. They have an active sales file with my name on it.. Normally I don't have any time or patience for salespeople, but since I want one of their systems, (but can't justify the space or cost as of yet) I don't mind. I might just buy a S Gorilla one of these calls.

Dave Bender
07-08-2008, 2:53 PM
I got an email, no phone call yet. It's not a bad idea on their part and not over the top yet.

Jim Becker
07-08-2008, 4:04 PM
Got email on this subject. Like any business, they are probably trying to find sales...the economy is what it is. If you have ever bought from them, they can call you even if you are on the "do not call" list unless you further instruct them not to. Nature of the world...

Matt Meiser
07-08-2008, 4:29 PM
I agree that its not over the top yet. I do think it is a dangerous practice. Even if I was interested in filters, I wouldn't have bought off the phone call as I wouldn't have know who was really calling--even caller ID can be spoofed. If I would have said yes, I assume the next thing he would have asked for was my credit card info. Right, I'm going to give that to you when you call out of the blue.... I could easily cull the forums and look for people who've bought a certain product, find many of their names in the white pages, and start calling. Someone would be bound to give me their credit card number, expiration date, CV3, and address. And who would get blamed for the info being stolen? Probably that company. A mailing would be more appropriate. Yeah, it probably costs more money. Nature of the world... :)

Rant: In general, companies are not welcome to telemarket to me. It may be legal, but not OK with me--its my phone. IMHO it should be required that you get my express permission to call me. No permission, no call. Usually I refuse to give out my phone number and email unless filling out a form from a legitimate company that has a checkbox where I can specifically opt out of marketing. Sometimes, like the mortgage company its required. When "required" but not in my mind, I give them a fake number. If they are being ignorant about it being required, the fake number starts out 555-.... They usually drop it then :) I think this is the most recent number Radio Shack has from me back when it was their policy to practically refuse to sell without it. I noticed Lowes tried that on cash sales here and quickly dropped it.

Martin Shupe
07-08-2008, 5:43 PM
I got the same call. Started off by asking me how my system was doing, and how I liked it. I started laughing out loud into the phone. I bought during the Baldor motor "feeding frenzy". Now I wish I had waited. I bought a 2 hp, and now they have larger models available. So why was I laughing? My system is still in boxes. Yep, waiting for my "dream shop", that is still a long lost dream. At this rate, I'll get my stand alone shop about the time my last kid graduates from college, I retire, and I am close to death, if I am lucky.

They did help me get drawings of the stand I need. It seems that when I boughy mine, they switch the location of the support ring. Mine was on top, and with shipping, the stand is about $800, about what the entire system cost. If you have the middle ring, you can get a stand for around $300, IIRC.

So...they sent me some drawings, and now I can see if a local welding shop can make me one for less money, then I might install the system in my garage where it might actually do some good.

Rob Bodenschatz
07-08-2008, 5:51 PM
I'm with you, Matt.

Steven DeMars
07-08-2008, 7:37 PM
:) Please cut them slack . . . otherwise the next time they call they may have an unintelligible accent . . . . and all the parts will have that strange smell that emits from everything you buy @ Harbor Freight.

I went into Harbor Freight recently and saw they had casters on sale . . . The clerk walked up and ask if he could "help me" . . . I think it was because I was sniffing all the casters . . . I bought a 50' air hose @ Harbor Fright that ran me out of my shop . . .

But, I do agree, business is getting tight . . . everyone is buying gas with their "everything else" money . . . :mad:

Jim Becker
07-08-2008, 8:36 PM
Steven, are we going to see you on the evening news sniffing the casters at HFT in some "color" story? LOL Watch out...cameras are everywhere! :)

Jack Camillo
07-08-2008, 8:53 PM
Nothing new here, and basically repeating what others have said. I'm on the side of, "so what?" Business is business. Economy stinks. I own an Oneida dc system and haven't got a call. They are good people, have great sales and customer service, doing an honest, well-made in USA product business that serves our community well. Telemarketing is revolting - ask any that have called me and I hung up on. (Wait, so maybe I did get a call...)

John Shuk
07-08-2008, 9:20 PM
Matt,
The truth is that the scumbag credit card companies abused an excellent business practice. imho.
A friendly call is a bit more personal than an e-mail.

John Keeton
07-08-2008, 9:40 PM
As an Oneida customer, I sought them out first. I would not be offended by them calling me, as a part of their customer base, with a legitmate soft sell on an item that may interest me.

We no longer have a landline, so whatever call I get on my cell came from someone to whom I gave the number.

Previously on our landline, when I would get a cold call from someone with whom I had never done business, then they invaded my privacy and I was offended. I dealt with those calls a little differently. After a couple of comments, I would say "Can you hang on just a second, somebody's at the door - I want to hear what you have to say, but give me just a minute." I laid down the phone, and went back to watching whatever TV show I was watching. Eventually, I would reach over and hang up the phone. At least I could waste as much of their time as they wasted of mine.

Matt Meiser
07-08-2008, 9:40 PM
That's a good point. Maybe if I hadn't gotten so many of those credit card/mortgage insurance/we're-not-selling-anything-we-just-want-to-let-you-know-about-this-service-we-offer-for-money/time-to-have-your-car-serviced (for a car we don't even own anymore) calls I'd feel different.

Previously on our landline, when I would get a cold call from someone with whom I had never done business, then they invaded my privacy and I was offended. I dealt with those calls a little differently. After a couple of comments, I would say "Can you hang on just a second, somebody's at the door - I want to hear what you have to say, but give me just a minute." I laid down the phone, and went back to watching whatever TV show I was watching. Eventually, I would reach over and hang up the phone. At least I could waste as much of their time as they wasted of mine.

Lately if they call my office line I mess with them by pressing a button whenever they talk. Some of them hang up. Some of them quickly figure out they cause the beep and try to speed up and slow down their talking. Its amusing the first time or two. :p

Lance Norris
07-09-2008, 6:07 AM
Matt... check out this device. I bought one several years ago and its the best thing since sliced bread. It works perfectly and you will never have another bothersome phone call again. Seriously. I dont even look at the Caller Id anymore because I only have a few numbers that are allowed to ring through. Sure made my life more enjoyable.

http://www.person-to-person.net/

Eric Commarato
07-09-2008, 1:19 PM
I got one as well. I guess they have my number in their database since I bought some ductwork from them a few years ago. The lady seemed very nice and not really pushy. She was "just checking up on a customer" who might need supplies from Oneida.

E.

Kevin Johnson
07-09-2008, 1:31 PM
I got one too. However, I was glad that they called. The first question that I was asked was how was my system. I then started to tell them about a problem that I had been having recently with the system. The system had been making a strange noise. I was asked if I wanted to speak to an engineer about it, so I said "sure". Within a few minutes the problem had been diagnosed and to make a long story short, the fan was cracked and I have a new fan sitting in my garage waiting for replace the old one. All under warranty. My system is over 6 years old, so for them to fix it under warranty like that, I was pretty impressed.

Later in the day, I received another call from them and the subject of filters came up. I did buy a filter at that point.

Overall, I am very pleased with their customer service and don't mind the phone calls.

Robert Strasser
07-09-2008, 7:26 PM
I was actually thinking of buying a new filter for my 2 HP system, and within an hour a guy from Oneida calls. I got a really funny feeling about that. Do they have ESP or were they spying on me? I'm very glad to hear they were calling other people.

I don't mind a call from a company that I've done business with. But if one more person calls about consolidating my credit card debt, I'm going to reach into the phone and do... something.

Dick Strauss
07-09-2008, 8:19 PM
Matt,
I'm sure you are already on board but...have you filed with DoNotCall.gov https://www.donotcall.gov/? If not, you should. You no longer have to re-register for protection. Only businesses that you have done business with within the last 18 months are allowed to call you if you are registered with this system.

Matt Meiser
07-09-2008, 8:31 PM
Only businesses that you have done business with within the last 18 months are allowed to call you if you are registered with this system.

Really? Oneida has been at least 3 years IIRC, and I am on the list.

Roger Bell
07-09-2008, 9:29 PM
I got a call yesterday. They left a very brief message that was up front about the filter thing. I have had their system for several years, and, from time to time, I buy ductwork and what not. So we do have a business relationship. I would not characterize the call as telemarketing as such.

I really didn't have a problem with it. And if they call, say, once a year, I suppose that would be fine. I have always had good service from them.

I do have a problem with telemarketers or any other peddlers. Telemarketing is illegal in Oregon. Supposedly. I do not feel pity for these folks scratching out their living. And I am brutal with them.

Stephen Edwards
07-13-2008, 2:11 PM
I like the line from the movie "First Monday In October" where Walter Matthau says, "The telephone has NO constitutional right to be answered."

That pretty much sums up my philsophy in regards to sales calls, or any other calls for that matter. When someone or some company calls me they have an opportunity to leave a message, should I not be at home or choose not to answer the call.

If the number that shows up on the caller ID is a number that I don't recognize, or if it's a blocked call or no number displayed, I never answer it. If they don't leave a message, of course I don't return the call. If they do leave a message I can decide if I wish to speak with them or not. If I do, I return the call. If I don't, I don't return the call.

In other words, my home telephone is for MY convenience, NOT a sales tool for telemarketers.

Keith Outten
07-13-2008, 2:22 PM
It might be a good time to let everyone know that Oneida Air has just contracted a banner on our main page and will have a Manufacturers Forum here at The Creek, possibly in the next 24 hours.

Oneida has been very generous suporting The Creek, they have also given serious thought to their Forum here and the information they are able to share with everyone. I expect that Oneida will be a very active company here and their participation is much appreciated helping us to keep The Creek flowing for everyone to enjoy :)

Martin Shupe
07-13-2008, 2:28 PM
Keith,

I think adding Oneida Air as a manufacturer forum is an excellent idea.

I believe they have a great product, and provide follow-up support for their product.

I look forward to them joining in on discussion here at the Creek.

Tim Anderson
07-13-2008, 7:18 PM
I got my call and it was timely as I needed the reason to finish getting my ductwork ordered. I have found Oneida to be very helpful and professional. If other companies were that good I might not hang up on telemarketers. Then again.

Keith Outten
07-14-2008, 5:49 AM
It's official, Oneida has a Manufacturers Forum here and it is open for discussion. Their Engineers are very enthusiastic about communicating with everyone here so take your dust collection and equipment questions over to the Onieda Air Forum and take advantage of their expertise.

We are very fortunate to have Oneida join us here.

Jeffrey Hill
07-14-2008, 1:56 PM
Hi all. Jeff from Oneida here.

We're trying to get more involved in this forum so I thought I would chime in here and lay some concerns to rest...

Yes we are calling existing customers about filter replacements and are doing so for the reasons you all mentioned.

We are trying to only call customers who "should" need a filter either now or in the near future. Our equipment is durable and the filters last a long time...however there are a lot of customers who might forget that eventually a filter will need to be replaced. Yes we would like to sell filters but no, we're not going for over-the-top telemarketing just to make a buck. The filters are on sale so our reminder in many cases is a win-win for us and the customer.

As always we try our best to protect people's privacy and not barrage anyone with marketing. A simple request by phone or email will get you off our list and we never sell / give away info to other parties. We don't like getting phone calls for things we're not interested in either.