PDA

View Full Version : What happens if....

Zac Altman
07-08-2008, 11:10 AM
What would happen if I was etching my ipod for example and the power goes off (assuming no UPS)? Could I just turn everything back on, not move the iPod and just start the etch again? would that effect the look of it?

I know that maybe for woods it makes a difference, but for aluminiums (like on macbooks and ipods) would it make a difference?

Im asking this because when I was getting some things etched at the Versalaser/ULS place and half way through he changed the power, then just started the project again on the newer power to make it all even (hope you understand that). The bit that was already etched at the higher power didnt change, and he said that it wouldnt change.

So why should I be worried if the power goes out while im going an iPod for example. Cant the same thing be applied, just with a greater gap in between the 2 runs?

James Stokes
07-08-2008, 11:21 AM
It can be started again. What I have done is open the lid and restart then close the lid when I think it is about the right place.

Doug Griffith
07-08-2008, 11:24 AM
The power going out (as in a power failure ) is different than stopping the run midway through, making a power change, and continuing. The machine will lose it's X and Y axis coordinates and reset itself upon restart. You would have to create a new file from the point which the engraving stopped or possibly run again with the door open (which stops the laser from firing) and shut the door at the point the engraving stopped the first time around. It would be next to impossible to do this without a noticeable gap or line. Metal may be more forgiving than wood if this happened.

Joe Pelonio
07-08-2008, 11:38 AM
The power going out (as in a power failure ) is different than stopping the run midway through, making a power change, and continuing. The machine will lose it's X and Y axis coordinates and reset itself upon restart. You would have to create a new file from the point which the engraving stopped or possibly run again with the door open (which stops the laser from firing) and shut the door at the point the engraving stopped the first time around. It would be next to impossible to do this without a noticeable gap or line. Metal may be more forgiving than wood if this happened.
If you have a pointer you can turn on, use that to tell you when to close the lid and the overlap will be minimal. You could also create a shape in white with white outlines to cover up the part already etched in the file, then resent selecting it as well as the original file, and that white area will be skipped.

Scott Shepherd
07-08-2008, 12:02 PM
On the ULS systems, when you hit pause, it goes home, and when you restart it comes back and resumes right where it left off, so it wouldn't be burning any area twice. I agree with Doug, if you engrave 1/2 and then start from the beginning, you'll see some line, more visible in some materials than others.

You could always send the job over again with bottom up engraving, when simply watch it and stop it when it hits the previously engraved area, or when it hits that area, start adjusting the power down to nothing, slowly, so it "ramps" the exit out of the previously burned area.

So short answer is, if it were an ipod, it's possible it would ruin it, yet. Possible, depending on what you're engraving, the plastic, the metal, the graphic, etc.

Just my opinion.

Craig Hogarth
07-08-2008, 1:21 PM
If you engrave from top to bottom and the power goes out, just restart the job engraving from bottom to top. Just keep an eye on where to stop the job again.

Rodne Gold
07-08-2008, 3:06 PM
At the end of it all , after engraving 1000's of items , I can say we have never had a succesful high quality solution to a 1/2 done job. There is always some visible evidence and depending on item , the "fiddle costs" of getting it right and trying to correct are not worth it. Like a $5 item that takes 20 mins to salvage ...
Be prepared to replace the item in most cases , it's part of the running costs
Thats why engraving expensive items should be expensive , you might mess up.
In any lasering job , we have a policy , we must be able to re-do the job and not lose money.
Obviously the best action is to try to salvage the item with the advice given above.

Mike Null
07-08-2008, 3:47 PM
Rodney's got it right.

Kenneth Hertzog
07-08-2008, 3:47 PM
I was running my laser a few days ago and the power went out but the laser
kept running. When I bought my laser I decided that a good UPS should be installed to protect my investment. The power was out about 10 seconds but
their was no down time or problems.
I'm not saying I would finish the job if it was an extended outage but it might get you thru it with no loss.
ken

Scott Shepherd
07-08-2008, 5:08 PM
I seem to recall a number of people speaking of this exact situation when Zac brought his concept of a business up on the forum. There were a number of people who said you better prepare for when, not if, but when you make a mistake on someone's $300 Ipod.

Robert Ray
07-09-2008, 12:46 PM
What would happen if I was etching my ipod for example and the power goes off ?

That engraving is ruined, but there is a possible recovery solution... That is replacement skins. Many if not all the IPOD type devices have after market skins available in case peopel scratch theirs up, or want custom colors, so you might be able to get a replacement skin to engrave, depending on the device.