PDA

View Full Version : Hanging kitchen cabinets from the ceiling?

Dan Bowman
07-08-2008, 8:02 AM
I wil be replacing some old kitchen cabinets, two of which float over a peninsula counter. How do I (or do I) modify these structurally to hang from the ceiling? Thanks,

Per Swenson
07-08-2008, 8:58 AM
With out more info....

Frameless European cabinets or face framed?

The carcass dadoed together?

Stuff like that is important to ascertain.

Per

Dan Bowman
07-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Sorry, should have included: Face frame, dado and pocket screws ala Marc Sommerfeld. Thanks

Nancy Laird
07-08-2008, 1:27 PM
Dan, we hung a cabinet above our peninsula from the ceiling, and it was a scary thing to watch. LOML had to climb up into the attic and put 2x4s between the trusses, then went up through the top of the cabinet into those 2x4s with long carriage bolts--about three bolts into each 2x4. I don't think it will ever come down! We are in a single-story house; if you're in a two-story, the entire technique will be different--maybe looooong lag bolts into the 2x between the levels??

John Lucas
07-08-2008, 3:12 PM
Marc's system uses an offset tongue and groove and should help but a full dado might be better for the top into the sides. And your top should be a full 3/4" ply and glued into the dado with epoxy. What you want is as much load hanging specs that this top will give you. I would also build a two by four frame that fits inside the top of all the hanging cabinets ...attach this to joist above with heavy lag screws and then slide cabinets up and around and screw in place all the way around. So that this frame isnt showing, buiding the case sides abnd back another 1 1/2" high so that you can screwe onto the header. Plan on crown molding to cover this extra height.
This is all theory on my part. Per and Nancy can comment as wether it iws practical or not.

Per Swenson
07-08-2008, 4:21 PM
Dan,

Sorta what has been said all ready,
But.

Remember Mr lucas talking about plywood?

Okay, the top of your cabinet should be recessed 3/4 or a tad better.

Cut a piece of ply that fits in that recess exactly.

Get your self some PL professional poly adhesive.

You said you had cabinets hanging there before,

so just make sure you know where the blocking is in the ceiling.

Figger out where you would have to drill and countersink holes for

long washer headed screws and screw and glue that ply to the ceiling.

Wait a day. Slip the Cab over the ply screw it again with large washer headed

screws but this time with extra fender washers. Spray paint em brown,

Before the install, and your done. Its all about that Poly adhesive.

Hope this helps

Per

Steve Clardy
07-08-2008, 4:41 PM
Last one I hung, which was 24x72, [and took four of us to get it up there] I used 3/8x4" lag bolts with washers set into the joists. About 8 of them if I remember.
Its still there last I knew of.