PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine skew jig problem

Stephen Henderson
07-07-2008, 6:33 PM
Hello to all,

I bought the Oneway wolverine system a year or so ago, and have had good luck with all but the skew attachment.

For some reason, when I grind the side with the toe on the left, it works fine. When I do the other side, with the heel on the left and toe on the right, the toe catches the upper enclosure of the grinder wheel. I have to actually twist the skew to get the toe end underneath the guard. The skew thus rides higher on one side than the other, which must mean i've got a different bevel angle on each side.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a problem with the skew attachment? is the rail out of alignment with the plane of the wheel? (It sure doesn't look like it.)

Any ideas?

Thanks from Idaho!

Stephen

Gary Herrmann
07-07-2008, 7:51 PM
Steven, when I set up my grinder/wolverine, I didn't like the amount of clearance I would have with with wheel enclosures in place, so I removed them. A bit less safe, but if you're using the wolverine, you're already controlling the tool.

Probably your simplest solution.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-07-2008, 8:04 PM
Stephen,

When you mounted your grinder and Wolverine jig ......did you have the correct height from the center of the arbor to the surface that the grinder mounts too?

I had to raise my Woodcraft grinder up 1/2" or 3/4" to get that distance correct. I didn't have to remove the guards.

For my straight (favorite) skew that Woverine jig is the cat's meow! For my Lacers.....I have to hand grind.

Good luck!

Steve Mellott
07-08-2008, 1:07 PM
Stephen:

I have the same problem and had to remove the attachment that bolts to the top front edge of the wheel guard. Even then, I don't have a lot of clearance. I think I have the grinder set up properly, but adding some height to it might solve the problem.

Steve

Mike Ramsey
07-08-2008, 2:03 PM
I had to raise my Woodcraft grinder up 1/2" or 3/4" to get that distance correct. I didn't have to remove the guards.

Same here. Do you have an 8" grinder or 6".

Stephen Henderson
07-08-2008, 2:45 PM
I"ve got an 8" slow speed grinder from woodcraft. I've mounted it on a 3/4" piece of plywood, and then added another 3/4" block on top of and directly underneath the base of the grinder. Seems to me the vertical height was in line with the specs provided by Oneway. Was close anyway.

I guess i'll just remove the guard and see how that works.

Does having a different bevel angel on each side of the skew make a difference?

Thanks again.

Stephen

Cyril Griesbach
07-08-2008, 3:13 PM
Stephen, is it possible to just rotate the guard to gain the necessary clearance rather than removing it entirely?

Stephen Henderson
07-08-2008, 4:34 PM
I will have to try that. Maybe it rotates around. Never even considered that.

Thank you!

Stephen

Gary Herrmann
07-08-2008, 5:41 PM
Stephen, I have the same grinder and just removed the guard. I don't recall if you can rotate it. That would work too.