PDA

View Full Version : Fray #66 Ratcheting Bit Brace - Whats it worth??

Doug Shepard
07-07-2008, 6:17 PM
My dad is getting rid of some old tools and fished this out from somewhere. There's just enough writing left that I'm pretty sure this is a #66 Fray shown here http://www.sydnassloot.com/Brace/Fray2.htm
His is in need of a cleaning/degreasing but all the moving parts work smoothly and the bits look in good shape to me (but I'm no expert). He asked me what I thought it was worth and I told him there was a human subspecies called Neanderthals that would probably pay more than he did new. Haven;t been able to find any past auctions with any prices to go by for a #66. So what's one of these worth?

Jim Koepke
07-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Look at this auction on eBay 180261741005. It is a Stanley, but the size may be what is attracting bids.

The short swing makes it hard to use with larger bits.

jim

Mike K Wenzloff
07-08-2008, 1:14 PM
The Stanley will go most likely much higher--$12 ain't much for that nice a brace in an incredibly hard to find size. But it doesn't have much in common with the Fray and what it may go for.

I have a few Fray with ratcheting chucks:

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/braces_0002.jpg

Typically they do not go as high as the Spofford chuck Fray braces unless one finds a 14" or a 6" or 7" model. I think I paid around $15 on average for those, with the expection of the 14" swing Fray brace. 10" and 12" models are the most common and so don't go for as much typically as the sizes on either side of that swing range.

My preference is the Spofford chucks, though. Got a couple of those as well.

Small swings are great for not only smaller bits where torque is not an issue, but also for counter sinks and the like. With the short throw, one can spin them faster than a large swing.

Take care, Mike

Mike K Wenzloff
07-08-2008, 1:16 PM
Doug, I would think the Fray you have would sell upwards of $30 or so. It's a nice brace, small swing. The whole thing is attracting bidders as regards eBay. Well written description, good pictures help to get the most.

Take care, Mike

Doug Shepard
07-08-2008, 5:54 PM
Mike/Jim
Thanks - Dad is having a garage sale this weekend and I just wanted to stop him from putting a real stupid price on it. It may not fetch as much as posting on eBay but I think I've convinced him to not put $5 on the lot. Seeing this show up on a SMC gloat a week from now with You wouldn't believe what the dumb schuck was selling this for would have been sad when I know there are folks here that know what's a fair price. I think he's going to start at $20 or $25 for the bunch and see what happens.

Doug Shepard
07-08-2008, 6:17 PM
Holy schmoley
I was just poking around eBay again at the braces and happened to notice this little bargain. Take a look at item number 290243310887

Johnny Kleso
07-13-2008, 3:01 AM
Brace 180261741005 sold today for about $142 :)

I have Fray/Stanley 6" brace that looks very much like the eBay brace and I might have to list mine to see what it would bring but nice 6: braces are getting scarce so maybe not :)