PDA

View Full Version : What tree is this?

Lee Schierer
07-07-2008, 1:51 PM
Here are several photos of a tree, actually there are a pair of them on the land where I work. The blossom is a cluster of green pods that resemble Hopps. They are small sacks filled with air. I have also included a photo of the bark on the trunk. These trees are located in Northwestern PA, but are probably not native to this area as this was originally an estate and they planted a diverse collection of trees.

Don Orr
07-07-2008, 2:25 PM
Looks somewhat like Hop Hornbeam (Ostrya virginiana). Common name is Ironwood. The tree is so named because of the similarities of the flowers to actual hops. Bark and leaves look to be correct also. I could be wrong though, just ask my wife.:D

Russ Sears
07-07-2008, 4:20 PM
Don gets extra points for nailing that one!
I have a Forest Products/Forest Science degree from Penn State and while I make plenty of mistakes, I'm with Don 100% on this one.

Craig Hemsath
07-07-2008, 8:15 PM
This trained botanist is also saying Ironwood. Try cutting off a branch, see how well it works. That stuff is haaaarrrd.

Lee Schierer
07-08-2008, 9:02 AM
This trained botanist is also saying Ironwood. Try cutting off a branch, see how well it works. That stuff is haaaarrrd.

I suspect that if I get out a chain saw and start cutting that my boss and his boss might get a bit excited since this tree is on company property.:eek: