PDA

View Full Version : I got a new tablesaw...Whoo Hoooo :)

Tony Cox
07-07-2008, 11:02 AM
I finally saved enought to get the tablesaw I've been looking at. I went with the Ridgid TS3660. We were at Home Depot on Saturday and they had the TS3650 on display but the TS3660 were what was in the boxes. I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I will say that it is one heavy saw. It took 4 employees to load it into the truck.

No pictures yet. I finished assembly late last night and didn't take any. I am pretty impressed with the quality. This is my second major tool that is Ridgid brand and so far I have been happy with the planer so I hope this is as good. It is a far cry from my little Craftsman saw I have been using.

Have a good day,
Tony

Ben Cadotte
07-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Congrats on the saw.

But no pics, no saw. :cool: Didn't happen. :D

Lee Schierer
07-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Even though your saw is new. Factory alignments are only close. Take time to do a thorough alignment of the blade to the miter gauge slot and the fence to the same slot. Get a dial indicator from Harbor Freight for $20 and attach it with a wood screw to a board clamped to the cross cut guide.

Congrats on the new saw. We can't wait to see the projects coming off it.

As Norm says, be sure to read, understand and follow all the safety precautions. Table saws are great tools, but most are dumb when it comes to knowing what to cut and what not to cut.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Even though your saw is new. Factory alignments are only close. Take time to do a through alignment of the blade to the miter gague slot and the fence to the same slot. Get a dial indicator from Harbor Freight for $20 and attach it with a wood screw to a board clamped to the cross cut guide.

Congrats on the new saw. We can't wait to see the projects coming off it.

As Norm says, be sure to read, understand and follow all the safety precautions. Table saws are great tools, but most are dumb when it comes to knowing what to cut and what not to cut.

Tony,
Listen to Lee--he is giving good advise. And congrats on the saw!

John Schreiber
07-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Congratulations. I keep on getting stuff done with a circular saw and guides and jigs, but I hope to be where you are before too long.

Bruce Page
07-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Congratulations Tony.

Work safe!

scott spencer
07-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Congrats and be safe Tony. In addition to getting it aligned well, do a little research and pickup at least one good quality blade, as these two factors have a huge influence on the final performance of the saw.

Peter Stahl
07-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Congrats on the new saw. Just looked at it on the HD site. Looks like a nice saw. Like Lee said it will probably need a couple tweeks. When I bought my Unisaw I needed several before it cut the way i wanted it to. The right saw blade also make a big difference. Work safe!

Tony Cox
07-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks everyone...

Tonight I am getting out the machinist squares and dial indicator so I can get everything in order. I am going to get a new blade for it also. I have been looking at some and trying to decide on which would fit my needs the best.

As for safety, that is one reason I moved to a new saw. I felt like I was starting to push the little craftsman beyond its limits. It was difficult to use feather boards and such and I was starting to feel uneasy. I think my life will be a lot easier now.:D

I was supposed to order a dust collector this week also. I told my wife I may wait, but I really need to think about my health and my hearing. Using the shop vac is hard on the ears. I am going to get the Delta 50-760. Amazon has it for $316 with free shipping and Delta has a $50 mail-in rebate. With my limited space this seems to be the best solution.

Have Fun,
Tony

Brad Townsend
07-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Not many things more fun than a major tool purchase. From all reports, you made a good one. Lots of happy owners of that saw. Congratulations!:)

Mac Cambra
07-07-2008, 2:57 PM
Congratulations on the new addition to your shop. I hope you enjoy many hours of safe and productive use.

john bateman
07-07-2008, 3:02 PM
Thanks everyone...

Using the shop vac is hard on the ears. I am going to get the Delta 50-760.
Have Fun,
Tony

The saw and dust collector will be hard on your ears, also. Hearing protectors are cheap, so get something. I like the ear muff type devices.

brett gallmeyer
07-08-2008, 9:56 AM
Congrats on your new purchase! I bought the same saw last year. Here are a few pointers.

Don't forget to redgister for the lifetime warrenty! u need your recipt and barcoad off the box.
My factory allignment was allmost perfect... I used it out of the box. However, take the advice about the dial indicater. with a little patience i was able to get my blade dead true with the miter slot. and my fence is within .001 of my miter slot. It makes a huge difference! Also take the time to adjust both the miter gauge and the 90 and 45 deg stops for the blade.
I built a table extension with my router built in. and I also made a outfeed table. check out my thread ''My ridgid TS3650 Table Saw'' its in general woodworking about a week or so old.
As for the blade, Get yourself a good combination blade. Bothe the freud 50t and the Ridgid comb are great blades. I would go with the ridgid because its ATB+R. Also get yourself a good 24 or 32t blade for ripping stock and a 60-80 for crosscuts and plywood. I mostly use the freud blades sold at HD because thats the best I can get in my area without ordering online. The combo blades will rip and crosscut fine. so get that first.
Make yourself a zero clearance insert.
Check out the ridgid tools website. they have a woodworking forum. there is tons of info about the ts3650! and upgrades.

Hope this helps, Brett G.

scott spencer
07-08-2008, 11:35 AM
...As for the blade, Get yourself a good combination blade. Both the freud 50t and the Ridgid comb are great blades. I would go with the ridgid because its ATB+R....

The Ridgid is made by Freud and has a nearly identical configuration to the Freud 50T combos. The Freud's tend to go on sale more often....the Avanti TK906 and Diablo versions are on sale from Amazon for $35 shipped.

Danny Thompson
07-08-2008, 1:34 PM
I hate to call you a liar, but . . .

Tony Cox
07-08-2008, 4:42 PM
Got a few pics finally...