PDA

View Full Version : Using epoxy glue with Domino joints

Frank Martin
07-07-2008, 9:57 AM
I am making a large dreser and would like to use a long open time glue for the carcase which is to be joined with some 40 domino tenons. I have always used loose tenon joints in the past for this kind of application and prefer epoxy for the long open time. However, the domino tenons fit so tightly (of corse they can be sanded down, but I don't want to go that route), I am not sure if epoxy is the best glue for this application.

Has anyone used epoxy with domino joints before, if so were you happy with how it turned out?

Thanks.

Frank Martin
07-08-2008, 1:42 PM
I found a Festool FAQ about this type of joinery. They indeed list epoxy as one of the adhesives. I ended up using it myself too and the very long open time allowed me to ensure a square glue up. To make the assembly little easier I first glued the domino tenons to one side of the joint. After the glue dried, I very slightly thinned down the other end of the tenon using a rasp. This was the first time I used dominos for such a large item and extremely pleased with everything lining up perfect and square.

John Lucas
07-08-2008, 2:11 PM
I also understand that CMT makes bits slightly wider than the 5mm,6,8 etc. They are here:
http://www.cmtutensili.com/show_items.asp?pars=TB~380hw

Alan Schwabacher
07-08-2008, 3:16 PM
You might have luck with dominos and boatbuilding epoxy (System Three, West, Raka...) rather than stuff made as glue. It is much thinner, and I have used it with inserted tenons. These were not dominos, but were tight fits.

Woodcraft sells small quantities of System Three epoxy.

Frank Martin
07-08-2008, 4:26 PM
You might have luck with dominos and boatbuilding epoxy (System Three, West, Raka...) rather than stuff made as glue. It is much thinner, and I have used it with inserted tenons. These were not dominos, but were tight fits.

Woodcraft sells small quantities of System Three epoxy.

Alan, I have been using West System and as you say it is actually pretty thin. Because of the long open time, the glue up was very relaxed.

I also understand that CMT makes bits slightly wider than the 5mm,6,8 etc. They are here:
http://www.cmtutensili.com/show_items.asp?pars=TB~380hw

John, good to know about the CMT cutters. From your response, I take you have not tried them yet. I will check into these.

John Stevens
07-08-2008, 7:41 PM
I also understand that CMT makes bits slightly wider than the 5mm,6,8 etc.

Many thanks for the tip, John. Looking forward to seeing them for sale somewhere.

Regards,

John