PDA

View Full Version : Hand saw boards from a log???

Michael Schumacher
07-07-2008, 9:17 AM
Okay, I'm just more curious than anything...I was wondering if anyone knows of a website that has details of sawing up a log by hand?

The last storm has fallen many trees here in Omaha, hate seeing them all get chopped down into firewood or worse, thrown into the large chipper. So I'm wondering how this would be done. I'd think that it was done this way in the past when people didn't have sawmills close by.

Michael

Ed Peters
07-07-2008, 10:11 AM
have you ever heard of a pit saw? check it out by a search on you tube.

Ed

Ray Gardiner
07-07-2008, 10:39 AM
I just finished breaking up a largish gum tree, Most pieces were too heavy to lift. I broke it down by splitting with wedges. You need at least 2 wedges and cut a groove to start with. Then put the wedges side by side an alternately whack each one. After few minutes, you will hear a creaking sound and crack. Hey presto. 2 pieces.

Keep splitting until you have manageable pieces.

If you can somehow move the pieces then sawing might be an option. First thought would be to see how it splits.

When you get manageable pieces you can position them for sawing.

harry strasil
07-07-2008, 12:16 PM
surely someone in or near Omaha has a portable band saw mill. If not there is one here locally, does a nice job, I am a 100 miles south of you. I had a 4 by 10 pin oak timber resawn, nice straight cut.