PDA

View Full Version : Band saw Guru's: Urethane Tire Source?

Peter Quinn
07-07-2008, 8:40 AM
I have a 14" Powermatic BS with enough miles on it that I think its time to replace the stock tires. They have worn a bit. I'm seeing lots of vendors selling urethane replacements in different colors and at different price points. Anyone have experience or thoughts about which vendor offers the best quality or is there is a difference in quality between vendors?

I'd like to get the highest quality, and I'd like to buy them at the lowest price (duh), but there seems no way to compare between vendors. Should I just call Iturra Designs and move on?

Thanks for any help.

Lee Schierer
07-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Suffolk Machinery is the best place for tires. Give them a call. http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/

Frank Drew
07-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Peter,

Once you do get new tires, here's some advice I got from Oliver when I sent in my wheels to have new tires put on: Get in the habit of loosening the band each evening because over time (years) the pressure of a constantly tensioned band can cause a permanent groove in the tire (we've all seen that on older tires). Since many of us don't use our band saws each and every day, it makes perfect sense to relieve the pressure for those often extended periods when the machine is not in use; this will prove only the slightest inconvenience since it takes just a moment to retighten the band (your guide settings shouldn't have changed).

glenn bradley
07-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Rockler, Woodcraft, Lee Valley . . . (Suffolk too it appears and they have always given me great service) . . . many folks carry them for 14" machines.

Dave Sweeney
07-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Suffolk Machinery is the best place for tires.

Lee, I'm curious, is that just your personal opinion or do you have some documentation to back that up?

harry strasil
07-07-2008, 12:04 PM
I replaced the tires on my old import 14 inch with urethane tires. This post is what I do to relieve tension that is an inexpensive alternative to the fancy detensioners.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=73734&highlight=bandsaw+tension

Lee Schierer
07-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Lee, I'm curious, is that just your personal opinion or do you have some documentation to back that up?

They helped me with finding new tires for a home made bandsaw my father made from a kit! Also, I've heard good reports for their service over the years on the various woodworking forums (or would that be Forii) that I participate in.

Peter Quinn
07-07-2008, 1:03 PM
Suffolk sells urethane tires? That's where I buy my blades, I had no idea they sold tires too. Thanks for that tip Lee, guess I'll pick up a few new blades and the tires in one stop! They are just across LI sound from me so things get here quick too.

The band saw I have came stock with the Carter quick release and a light. I leave the light on as long as the tension is on so when I go to leave the shop each day and shut off the main lights that one bulb on the saw reminds me to release the tension. Now if I could just remember to retension before starting the machine everything would be well!:D:D

Thanks guys. MPQ

Lance Norris
07-07-2008, 6:34 PM
... and here also:

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10783