PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
07-07-2008, 12:49 AM
7 July 2008
Good Morning..!!!!!

Thought that while I was still up, I'd get a head start on getting the weekend accomplishments out.

No woodworking for me this past weekend, but we did shoot a LOT of fireworks, spent time with the kids, celebrated my daughter's 17th birthday on the 4th, cooked out, ate like crazy, had a lot of TEENS in the house for the LOML Jr's birthday party, and slept when I could.

Napped a little after church on Sunday and watched a movie or two with the family just enjoying some "down time" and rest.

So what did YOU do this Independence Day Weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Nancy Laird
07-07-2008, 1:03 AM
Big neighborhood cookout on Friday - 7 families, lots of kids, lots of food, and lots of fireworks. Saturday I ran errands and packed suitcases while LOML built some countertops and refaced some cabinets (for money!!). Don't know what LOML did today, but I drove over 400 miles and I'm now in Phoenix with my daughters to be a good grandma while #2 daughter has surgery this week.

And it's HOT in Phoenix - about 113 today!!

Dewey Torres
07-07-2008, 1:27 AM
I FINALLY finished this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=87725

Whew... I am glad that is done.

Oh, and I...
Fired up the grill, watched fireworks, ran 12 miles, watched the Olympic trials, watched the UFC Fight, completed some landscape work in my dreaded back yard, watched fireworks again on Saturday (neighbors hadn't expended all from the fourth), walked my dog, cleaned the house, posted a few pics/threads... oh, I am sure you get the gist by now.:D

Dewey

Dewey Torres
07-07-2008, 1:36 AM
And it's HOT in Phoenix - about 113 today!!

You are kidding... oh wait, you are not kidding. That reminds me of my Floridian days. Hang in there and best wishes with the surgery/ good grand-mothering in Phoenix:).

Dewey

Chris Kennedy
07-07-2008, 6:21 AM
Unfortunately, no woodworking for me either. For the 4th, we went to my wife's grandmother's place on the water for a barbecue. It was perfect -- cool breezes off the water broke both the heat and the humidity.

Spent the rest of the weekend running errands (including a nice trip to Woodcraft), and then most of Sunday installing a new bathroom faucet. I found out that if you have two halves of a PVC coupling made by different manufacturers (one on the wall was from the blue BORG, the one I bought to mate with it was from the orange BORG), they may not mate so well.:(

And this week, it is back to the office:eek:.

Cheers,

Chris

George Sanders
07-07-2008, 7:08 AM
I didn't do a whole lot except play around with my new to me Belsaw 9103 planer/molder. I took all the gibs out and cleaned surface rust off the cutterhead. It needs new blades which are coming this week. I also set up an appointment with an electrician to hook up the 220 in the garage. Then I can start playing with my "new" toy.

Matt Meiser
07-07-2008, 7:41 AM
I took Thursday off and drove to Dayton, OH to pick up a new camper (http://i1.imagesrv.com/1/580/i/469210/469210_1.jpg). We've been talking about upgrading from a popup (we had the smallest one Starcraft made) to a Hybrid which is a hard-sided camper with beds like a popup. I found a deal on a brand new 2007 that was well worth the drive. The new one is the smallest hybrid Starcraft makes but is still MUCH larger. My dad rode with me and while we were down there we had lunch with my brother and went to look at a house he is thinking of buying so he could get some second opinions. We had a fun drive back in POURING rain which apparently dissolved my temporary tag as it was gone by the time we stopped for gas 1/2 way home.

Friday we packed all our stuff in the camper and went to get a bunch of new stuff that we didn't need or wanted, but really didn't have room for in the old camper. Stuff like sewer hookup stuff, containers to organize stuff, a real broom, etc.

Saturday I started installing a transmission cooler on my truck and we finally set up LOML Jr's pool and had the pool and hot tub (which has been empty for several weeks since we had an extended power failure) filled. The guy down the road has a water hauling truck and fills them in a couple minutes with city water instead of hours with our iron-rich well water in a couple hours. The $65 he charges is well worth it. The rest of the day was spent at a party, then one of the local fireworks shows over Lake Erie.

Sunday I finished up the transmission cooler, then built the cabinet to go above the over-the-range microwave we got to replace the countertop one that went bad after the storms that caused the power outages mentioned above. I got the cabinet built, test fitted, and stained. Tonight I'll start the clear finish which I think is just going to be wipe on poly since I have it and so I can get it done quickly.

Al Willits
07-07-2008, 7:59 AM
Spent most of the weekend evening trying to calm the dog dog, with her Addison's she's not suppose to get excited and we had fireworks in the neighborhood three days straight, did get a chance to BBQ some brisket and went to the SIL for the annual gathering, so all in all a nice but tiring holiday.

Woodworking was pretty slow, thermometer said 89 yesterday and for us here in Minn, that's hot, did manage to do some more cleaning in the garage/shop, but it was clean, sit in front of the fan, clean, etc.

Also got the boat ready for the tourney next Sat, hoping to prefish the lake Wednesday, and so far weather looks nice for then.

I did start a small table for outside, something to put a drink on while I watch the world go by, so I did some woodworking..:)
Hard to work on stuff when ya keep sweating all over it though.

Al

Ken Fitzgerald
07-07-2008, 8:15 AM
A little turning Saturday morning. Saturday afternoon had a retired co-worker from Seattle visit. Then into a local medical center to work on a CT scanner. Yesterday, I missed dinner at my oldest son's house as I was running a 102º temperature all day. Layed on the couch, napped and took medicine at the times prescribed. Yuck!

alex grams
07-07-2008, 8:23 AM
LOTS OF WORK!

Gutted our second bathroom, repainted, replumbed the shower, redid the tile (on the floor and the shower), etc. etc... A very busy 3 days for me, and very tired today (though i did do a majority of the demo work last week and not this weekend.

Also smoked a brisket on the 4th, which was good eattin'.

Now to rebuild the vanity.

Before and after pics below to show the work in progress. Hopefully you can tell the difference in which is which.

Michael Schumacher
07-07-2008, 9:03 AM
My weekend was long - I took last Wednesday and Thursday off.

Wednesday - busy day that started at 4:30 in the morning. Took my 6.5 month old son in to get tubes put in his ears. World of difference for him. He can hear a lot better now and I'm sure he is feeling better now that most of his ear ache is gone. It's been a long 4 months with his ears always getting infected and not clearing up. After getting home, we sat around for a bit, but then started to take the sawed up limbs I picked up the night before for firewood, mowed the lawn before the yard waste was picked up. In the afternoon is where the fun begun. I was finally able to get the jointer verified that it was all tuned up. I took the knifes out and got those all adjusted and now the jointer works like a dream and is just a fine piece of machinery.

Thursday - Packed up for the weekend to head to my wife's folks. Didn't do much except for testing the jointer.

Weekend - Ate, enjoyed the fireworks and had a good weekend at the In-laws.

Michael

Tyler Howell
07-07-2008, 9:34 AM
Great Holiday weekend with a creeker visit.
Rick Schubert and I slipped across the boarder for the Thunder Bay Blues Festival. Real friendly neighbors to the north.

Attended an art fair and saw the work of some local turners. Got to chat with them for a while.

Attended a cabin concert at the home of recording artist Michael Monroe, also a neighbor.

Not only was his log cabin home a fine example of WW craftsmanship, his guitars were created by local luthier Dave Seaton from some local and reclaimed materials.

Katherine Bercaw
07-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Lots and lots of work.

On the 4th I built a rack for drying lumber. I racked the walnut I scored a week ago from my uncles farm. He had to chop down a dead tree so we took a 10 foot section over to the local sawyers. I got to bring home 8 10" x 2"" X 6"" pieces of beautifull walnut :)

So, the walnut was lonely...... last year the city took down a big maple by the street on our lot. We saved a couple sections including an 8 foot trunk section that was about 4 foot in diameter. LOML used a chainsaw mill to break it down and then we used my 14" band saw to cut planks. (We've still got lots more to do but we got the technique down.)

Other than that, worked on the go-karts, Pitted cherries and made a fresh pie, and cooked a LOT of ribs and had friends over.

Jim Becker
07-07-2008, 12:18 PM
A barbecue at friends on Friday and for the rest of the weekend, I worked on getting the guest room in shape ('rents headed north for summer "vacation" and will likely visit off and on over the next couple of months). I also worked on trimming out the bay window in the great room...it's taking some time due to the need to build things up a bit to match the thickness of the barn wood on the lower portion of the wall.

Peter Stahl
07-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Barbecue Friday, worked on yard the rest of the weekend so no more critters can get in as easy. Unless they are really small or can clinb a 6 foot fench I think I'm good. Involved some woodworking as I cut a 4 X 4 to fit under the gate.

Greg Hines, MD
07-07-2008, 2:04 PM
I spent the holiday in Chattanooga finding Geocaches, watching the fireworks, seeing the Aquarium and the infamous Choo-Choo.

Doc