PDA

View Full Version : Morris Chair done!

George Bregar
07-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Finally got it back from the upholsterer. Got lucky, he had some old school thick soft black leather from an odd lot. All in all very pleased. Here are a couple of pics of it in my cottage. Also shown are the rest of the set I built.

Dewey Torres
07-06-2008, 11:45 PM
Very nice!

You have given us in the Morris Chair Club something to aspire to.

Looks like you have built a complete set as well:).

Some questions if you don't mind:
Did you use plans?
If so which ones?
Did any part of this project give you a hard time?

Again, great job and thanks for sharing. I will be starting mine soon as well.

Dewey

George Bregar
07-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Very nice!

You have given us in the Morris Chair Club something to aspire to.

Looks like you have built a complete set as well:). Thanks Dewey

Some questions if you don't mind:
Did you use plans?
If so which ones?
Did any part of this project give you a hard time?

Again, great job and thanks for sharing. I will be starting mine soon as well.

DeweyI used the plansnow.com (Woodsmith)plans...but made some changes. My spindles are wider. Better look for a cottage. Oh, and I didn't use their method for the mortises. No through tenon for the leg/arm connection. I would rather have a flat so my beer doesn't tip over :). I also used square pegs to pin the tenons. I used my mortiser to make the square holes, and squared up some stock for pins. Chamfered the ends of the pins with a file and kept them about 1/8" proud. Oh, also dyed the black with India Ink.

I used a lock miter joint on the legs to show four QS faces...a little tricky but not so bad. I posted a thread on it. Also, having a mortiser makes the project much easier.

gary Zimmel
07-07-2008, 12:05 AM
George

Excellent job on the finished morris chair....

Now that I see yours, I am looking forward to our community build even more.

As Dewey has asked any feedback on your project would be a big help.

Again great job, it looks quite at home in your cottage.

George Bregar
07-07-2008, 12:14 AM
George

Excellent job on the finished morris chair....

Now that I see yours, I am looking forward to our community build even more.

As Dewey has asked any feedback on your project would be a big help.

Again great job, it looks quite at home in your cottage. Thanks Gary. Not sure what to add that I haven't posted. I have a thread on the lock miter tips. I posted my finishing process (which I recommend)..I "stole" Homestead Finishing's process.

Oh, cutting the angled mortise for the back legs was a little tricky. I had to build a ramp the would duplicate the angle because my mortiser (Jet) only works on the 90.

Paul Girouard
07-07-2008, 1:32 AM
Nice job George , I can see a Mission style entertainment center in your future :D

James Suzda
07-07-2008, 5:46 AM
George,
Your chair DID turn out great! I'm happy that I was able to provide you with someone to do the upholstery! BTW, that is a great view out the widow of your northern home! I hope you can now enjoy many hours in that chair, and taking a few naps, while looking out the windows.

John Keeton
07-07-2008, 7:00 AM
Very, very nice! Really like the cottage, too. Is this a weekend/vacation cottage or home?

John Thompson
07-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Very nice indeed, George. I would guess that you are fond of mission style furniture but mind you.... just a guess? :D

Sarge..

Ron Jones near Indy
07-07-2008, 10:53 AM
George, that's one beautiful chair. It looks "at home" in the cabin. I'm sure you are well pleased.

Jim Becker
07-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Stunning, George. Very nice work!

George Bregar
07-07-2008, 11:10 AM
I will try to collectively answer the questions. John: Yes, it is a vacation cottage although it is fully four season. On Lee Lake in Hazelhurst, WI...or as we say "up nort'" .

ROn: Thanks, I think the A&C is perfectly adapted for a comfortable cottage look and use...especially if you keep it more "raw"...no tapers, larger spindles.

Sarge: Yep, love it. And Shaker.

Paul: No entertainment center in the future. I specifically built the corner TV stand to tuck it into that tight corner. Modified end table plans to that end. We really don't promote watching TV up north. So no big screen stuff in the future.

Gary and everyone else: Thanks for you compliments. According to the upholsterer, many customers saw it while it was waiting for me to pick it up...and wanted to buy it. He wants to talk about working something out.

Mark Hulette
07-07-2008, 2:14 PM
George- love the chair! Thanks for sharing

One more question-- concerning the upholstery... if you don't mind, what was the cost for the upholstery including the ottoman?

I really like the look you've got going in your cabin... very welcoming! Wish I was there...

Bill Wyko
07-07-2008, 2:33 PM
Beautiful work George. You won't find quality work like that in a furniture store. Thanks for posting.

John Dodson
07-07-2008, 5:14 PM
Yes, great looking set!

Walt Caza
07-07-2008, 5:19 PM
Hi George,
Great work...all 5 pieces look terrific and work well together.
Your lock miter legs worked out perfect.
Your chair and view look sooo inviting, I am not sure how you will be
able to get much else done!

Thanks for a great posting,
I'm gonna go back and look at your pics again...
be well,
Walt
:)

George Bregar
07-07-2008, 7:34 PM
George- love the chair! Thanks for sharing

One more question-- concerning the upholstery... if you don't mind, what was the cost for the upholstery including the ottoman?

I really like the look you've got going in your cabin... very welcoming! Wish I was there... Thanks Mark. About $850. I wish you were too. You could help me finish the basement remodel! :D

George Bregar
07-07-2008, 7:45 PM
Hi George,
Great work...all 5 pieces look terrific and work well together.
Your lock miter legs worked out perfect.
Your chair and view look sooo inviting, I am not sure how you will be
able to get much else done!

Thanks for a great posting,
I'm gonna go back and look at your pics again...
be well,
Walt
:) Thanks Walt. Actually seven pieces, you just can't see the other two end tables. Glad the LM worked out for you. It's what I will use in the future.

As far as get other stuff done, I still have a lot left to do. Need to build out my new shop, more work in the house (a fourth bedroom), etc etc etc. I was planning to build a second home (a timber frame house) on the property but that will be off a few years.

Also Jim and the rest, thanks for the kind words.

Mark Hulette
07-08-2008, 9:15 AM
Thanks Mark. About $850. I wish you were too. You could help me finish the basement remodel! :D

That's about what I thought on the upholstery... I think you need to set up a deal with the upholsterer to feed him a few chairs for fun and profit!

I'd love to do that but we're just moving into our new house and I've been on floor duty (hardwood on most of the first floor and new flooring in the kitchen) so I'm in that mode myself. Good luck with all of those projects!

Thanks for the info!

Robin Cruz
07-08-2008, 11:55 AM
very excellent. what kind of finish did you use? alcohol dye or other? What color was the dye or stain?.

George Bregar
07-08-2008, 9:34 PM
very excellent. what kind of finish did you use? alcohol dye or other? What color was the dye or stain?. I have a threaD, BUT HERE IT IS:

1) Transtint 2 parts Mission Brown, i part Reddish brown in water
2) BLO rubbed in with 0000 steel wool to remove the fuzz (and pop the flecks!)
3) Shellac sealer
4) Dark walnut Gel Stain glaze...brush on across the grain, wipe off with the grain...to highlight
5) Shellac sealer
6) clearcoat of choice.

More info http://homesteadfinishing.com/pdf/mission_oak_rev4-2008.pdf

John Keeton
07-09-2008, 6:07 AM
George, what brand of Dark Walnut gel stain? Also, you would love a timberframe home. We built ours 4 years ago - still remain in awe when I sit in my recliner and look up!

George Bregar
07-09-2008, 6:52 AM
George, what brand of Dark Walnut gel stain? Also, you would love a timberframe home. We built ours 4 years ago - still remain in awe when I sit in my recliner and look up! I used Old Masters Oil Based. Any brand would do I'm sure. Yiu are simply using it to highlight the grain.

In regard to the TF home, did you build it or have it built?

Craig D Peltier
07-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Nice Job! I seen one the other day someone had built. It was made of canary wood. I really like the wood.

John Keeton
07-09-2008, 11:37 AM
George, we were the general contractor on our home, but had the frame built and erected by a timberframe company. Our home is a hybrid. Our great room is timbered, but the rest of the house is sips and looks like a conventional house. The great room is about 28x44 and has hammerbeam trusses of 10x8 red oak with a ridge height of 25'. The framers were out of Indiana (Timbersmith). The former owner sold the company a couple of years ago, and I believe it became a victim of the economy and is defunct. If you have an interest, I took a series of pictures during the raising and would be glad to burn a cd and send it to you. Let me know. I would not hesitate to do it again, but under no circumstances would I attempt it on my own for a lot of reasons.

George Bregar
07-10-2008, 9:13 AM
George, we were the general contractor on our home, but had the frame built and erected by a timberframe company. Our home is a hybrid. Our great room is timbered, but the rest of the house is sips and looks like a conventional house. The great room is about 28x44 and has hammerbeam trusses of 10x8 red oak with a ridge height of 25'. The framers were out of Indiana (Timbersmith). The former owner sold the company a couple of years ago, and I believe it became a victim of the economy and is defunct. If you have an interest, I took a series of pictures during the raising and would be glad to burn a cd and send it to you. Let me know. I would not hesitate to do it again, but under no circumstances would I attempt it on my own for a lot of reasons. Hey, I would love that. I will PM my address once I move. I plan on doing this myself, subcontracting out foundation, septic, and well. I may have to sub out plumbing too, as I believe it requires a licensed plumber in WI. Perhaps I can get one to sign off on my work however. Labor to assist in Northern WI is plentiful and inexpensive. I've also had discussions with the local high school regarding summer internships. Anyway, the planning has begun.

John Keeton
07-10-2008, 4:32 PM
Just let me know!

David Rafferty
07-15-2008, 5:25 PM
Very nice work George. I am definitely going to get started on one for my cottage, an old loggers lodge in N. Michigan. It is a perfect match. Nice job on the other pieces also. Doing it again, would you make the chair first or the other pieces? Thanks for sharing.

George Bregar
07-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Very nice work George. I am definitely going to get started on one for my cottage, an old loggers lodge in N. Michigan. It is a perfect match. Nice job on the other pieces also. Doing it again, would you make the chair first or the other pieces? Thanks for sharing. Thanks David. The beauty of A&C is that it really looks great in any decor...from rustic to contemporary.

We needed the other stuff more, so that was the deciding factor. Plus of course there was no upholstery time. Making the three end tables, coffee table, and corner TV stand provided an economy in effort as the components are really the same so getting them done was pretty simple.

Just make lots of stain so they match, if that is your goal.