PDA

View Full Version : Tenon saw

Kevin Swindle
04-21-2004, 7:57 AM
I am considering the purchase of an Adria Tools tenon saw. If anyone has any comments about this saw or others I would appreciate to hear them.

Sean Evoy
04-21-2004, 9:39 AM
I have the rip and cross-cut tenon saws and I think they are fantastic. Perfectly sharp and set right out of the box. They are the first saws I reach for. Eddie is quick to answer his email and very professional. Overall, I am very happy with these purchases.

Lloyd Robins
04-21-2004, 9:48 AM
I really like my DT and small x-cut saws.

Martin Shupe
04-21-2004, 12:43 PM
Kevin,

I have the Adria dovetail saw. It fits my hand perfectly, and cuts beautifully. I am thinking about getting the tennon pair myself, but recently blew my budget on lumber.

Bob Smalser
04-21-2004, 3:52 PM
Pretty...but 150 bucks for a tenon saw? Wow.

We could clean and sharpen a wheelbarrow full of fine old Disstons in need of a hug for that. And I can probably teach any 10-year-old how to do it as well as any sharpening service in less than an hour.

http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=009165

I'm also real leery of any claim that the edge lasts longer between sharpenings...especially saws. That means the steel is harder and will eat your files up real quick. So you send it to a commercial sharpening service and they shear off a quarter inch of your saw every time, where if you hand filed it yourself, you'd only loose a couple thousandths.

I'm not poormouthing the saw as your choice if you have the money to spare...but most hobbyists have other tools they need to acquire with the dollar difference between one of these and an older Disston No. 5 in the 15-30 dollar range. Just look for one without major pitting.

Mark Singer
04-21-2004, 4:03 PM
A lot of the` old ones are great! Cheaper and the steel is even better.

James Carmichael
04-25-2004, 11:58 AM
I have nothing to compare with and don't even own a backsaw yet, but I have to agree with Bob. I recently acquired 4 Disston handsaws, 3 D8s and a #12 for about $80 total (about 1/2 was for the #12). I now have everything from a 5 1/2-PPI rip to a 12-PPI crosscut, and I believe that's less money than what a single Pax or Lynx handsaw would cost.

Files and sawset are en-route. Of course, I'm a little weird in that I actually enjoy restoring and tuning old handtools in itself, much to the consternation of LOML, who would prefer finished projects :D

Michael Campbell
04-25-2004, 1:13 PM
Files and sawset are en-route. Of course, I'm a little weird in that I actually enjoy restoring and tuning old handtools in itself, much to the consternation of LOML, who would prefer finished projects :D

Ahhh, luxury. LO*M*L prefers /started/ projects!

Dennis McDonaugh
04-29-2004, 9:47 AM
I like old tools. There's something about using a tool that someone bought a hundred or so years ago. But, I also like good new tools and its a deadly combination for my wallet and marriage. I have several old Disston dovetail and back saws and use them regularly. But I also have an Independence dovetail saw and it feels much better in my hand than the old Disstons. Its heavier, but not heavy, and just feels more substantial. I don't have unlimited funds for tool purchases, but I think there's room for both old and new in my shop. I say buy the Adria and you'll love every time you use it. But also pick up a couple of Disston's and use them too and you'll have the best of both worlds.