PDA

View Full Version : Americana Rollerball vs. Jr. Gent's II

Greg Cuetara
07-06-2008, 10:21 PM
I have only been turning slimlines thus far in my short lived pen turning career but I am headed to a few weddings this summer and would like to turn a few nice pens for gifts. I am trying to decide between the Americana Rollerball and the Jr. Gentleman's II pen kits from CSUSA.

Their 24k gold is fairly cheap for a rollerball. Is this a good kit? It is fairly easy to turn? Is the Jr. Gent's pen easy to turn? It is mostly preference to the look or is there a real difference beween the two kits? The Jr. Gent's also has the option of a few different platings which is nice. There is a decent price difference between the cost of the two kits, including the bushings and drill bits, the americana being the cheaper of the two. I don't want to be cheap here but if one kit is easier to turn or just a better overall pen I would rather give that as a gift.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give me on the quality and ease of turning on both kits.

Greg

Jon Lanier
07-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Since I first did a Gent, I refuse to go back to the Americana. I just think it looks sharper and more professional. I'll also use the Statesman for a high up grade for a rollerball. But my norm is now the Gent II.

robert hainstock
07-07-2008, 8:18 AM
I gave one of these to a young friend on his HS graduation. He said it was the smoothest writing pen he'd ever used. They are a beutifful pen when finished. :)
Bob

Daniel Heine
07-07-2008, 10:10 AM
I would vote for the Jr. Gent II. It is an easy pen to turn, look very impressive when finished, and is reasonably priced. For special occasions, I prefer the Jr. Statesman. Same drill bits, bushing, etc. Much nicer pen.

At a minimum I would suggest buying a 10k gold. 24k wears very quickly. Rhodium and Titanium are even nicer. My last 2 Jr. Statemen were Rhodium, and they shine like the sun, and look like a million.

Good Luck,
Dan

Marc Martindale
07-07-2008, 7:41 PM
The Jr. Emporer is also another beautiful pen that uses the same drills. What do you guys think about the postable cap versus non threaded ends?