PDA

View Full Version : Ts Front Tube Length

Dan Becthel
07-06-2008, 8:37 PM
:confused: Hello all. I have a dilema. I am setting up shop and have an older unisaw with the original fence. I need a new fence. The bars were approx 72". I have installed and wired and ran hard dust collection. The problem is I took for granted that the new fences had the same bar length. Can anyone tell me how far the bies 50" rip bar projects from the left side of the saw. I had no idea it was 84" long. Also if anyone has a vega pro 50, I need to know the overall length of the bar and if it projects to the left of the end of the saw and how far. At this point in time the shop now is deciding what fence instead of me.

Dick Brown
07-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Hi,

As I have not used the fence on the left side of the blade for more years than I can remember, when I put the new fence on my Clausing and it stuck past the left of the table, I just pulled the plug out of it, cut it to be flush on my metal cutting bandsaw, put the plug back in and now no bar to hook my leg on. I cut the angle flush also but don't know if it would stick by on your saw or not.

Good luck,
Dick

Jim McFarland
07-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Dan, not sure this is what you need but 24" from left side of the blade to the left end of the Biesmeyer 50" fence tube. I replaced the left wing with the BD router wing and don't recall the difference in width from the original CI wing. See attached photo...

Edit: BTW, welcome to SMC!!

Dan Becthel
07-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Jim,
Thanks for the pic. It looks like 10" from the left side of the saw top. I think I measured 18" from the blade to the left of my saw. If my math is right then the biese should hang past the saw about 6". I can live with a little on the left, but cannot give up any more space on the right side.

Dick,
I share your concerns. I have about 4' on both sides of the saw with the original 72" rails. I am also considering the Vega fence. The company sent me literature but did not mention the length of the rail. Can someone help me out with the Vega setup? I would hate to spend $400 on the biese and have to cut it down. Thanks for your responses.
Dan