PDA

View Full Version : A Surprise Tool Purchase and Gloat

Robert Strasser
07-06-2008, 7:35 PM
I ordered a Festool Domino and Domino Assortment last week. Two days after the order Mr UPS pulls up with only one small box. I was hoping it was the Domino, but after one shake I knew it was the Domino Assortment. I knew the second box, and Domino would arrive the next day because of the first rate service I receive from the dealer. Sure enough, the next day Mr UPS walks up with a small box. I give it a shake and it sounds like another Domino Assortment. Sure enough, it is a second Assortment. I sure have enough dominos to use, but no Domino tool. But wait. Here comes Mr UPS back with a third box. This has to be my tool. But wait. This is one huge box. It looks to be 3 foot by 2 foot on the side. Maybe they used a bunch of packing material. It is also heavy. Maybe they used potatoes as packing material. I open the box. It definitely is NOT a Domino. It looks like a saw. A miter saw.... It's a Kapex. I order a Domino and Domino Assortment and get two Domino Assortments and a Kapex. This sound fair to me.

I get on the phone and talk to my dealer. Fortunately he is sitting down. Then he says that word you never want to hear from your surgeon... Oops. He says he'll straighten it all out and get the Domino to me as soon as possible and send shipping labels for the returns.

Now for the Gloat. My wife says "That is a really nice saw. Why don't you keep it?" After about one and a half microseconds I say OK. That was a first class wife gloat. She loves Festools... and me of course.

John Keeton
07-06-2008, 7:42 PM
OK Robert, here is the test of honesty in a relationship! You did, (and I am certain that you really did) tell her the price in the midst of that one and half microseconds - didn't you!?! If you did, and I am certain you did, and she still said "Why don't you keep it?" then you have a wife of which any man would be proud!!!

Robert Strasser
07-06-2008, 7:54 PM
Affirmative on the price.

Several years ago, when Festool had their buy three tools and get 15 percent off, I could not buy only one tool from Festool if I had my wife along. For some reason she loves shopping for tools even though I'm the only one that touches them. I do make her nice furniture of course.

Jim Becker
07-06-2008, 8:34 PM
That's not merely a gloat....it's a GLOTUS_MAXIMUS!! Wow...nice turn of events including the little "encouragement" from the LOYL!

Peter Quinn
07-06-2008, 8:34 PM
I am going to send my wife a link to this post. I love my wife very much. Perhaps I should order a Kapex on "Accident", and perhaps she will say keep it? Or perhaps she will chase that brown truck down on foot at Mercurial speed with Kapex in hand and say "This is one big OOPS!"

Either way I'm thrilled for you, and I hope for pics and a brief review while you pass the time waiting for the domino. And congratulations to you for honesty befitting a man of the creek. I might just have ordered another domino from a different vendor and changed phone numbers.