PDA

View Full Version : How to clean Aluminum

Carroll Courtney
07-06-2008, 6:38 PM
Guys, any ideals how to clean aluminum table tops?My scroll saw has a aluminum top (Hawk).I guess I could sand it alittle,but was wondering if there is a polish to keep this from happening again.Just doing alittle shop PMing and notice the top.Thanks Carroll

Peter Quinn
07-06-2008, 6:54 PM
Get a can of Never Dull, nothing better for oxidized aluminum. Keep using it after the wadding turns black, it keeps working better as you use it.

Jeff Miller
07-06-2008, 8:12 PM
http://www.mothers.com/products/productcatalog/productpics/05106_180px.jpg

Billet Metal Polish
Mothers® Billet Metal Polish takes our world famous metal polish technology to a whole new level. State of the art cleaners and cutting edge formulation give your billet, forged and finely cast aluminum, brass and other polishable metals the absolute finest finish available—guaranteed.

JEFF:D

Doug Shepard
07-06-2008, 9:58 PM
I've used car chrome polish with decent results but I dont recall which brand.

Lance Norris
07-07-2008, 6:00 AM
The absolute best metal polish I have ever found is Wenol. It is hard to find, but worth searching for. Cleans aluminum wheels up like glass. Works on stainless steel and plastic also.

Lee Schierer
07-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Instead of sand paper, attach a fine grit Scotch Brite pad to a vibratory sander. Or place a pice under the disk on your ROS and polish the surface. It will shine up the top in no time.

Peter Stahl
07-07-2008, 12:27 PM
After cleaning the tarnish off you might want to polish it with Top Coat or a non-silicone polish. My Dewalt is iron/steel and I keep a cover over the table. I use a old flannel shirt or towel. My basement is not humid at all.