PDA

View Full Version : Where there's smoke there's fire

Brian Brown
07-06-2008, 4:12 PM
Yesterday I tried to use my Delta DP300 drill press to drill a hole (1 3/8 forstner bit) in some soft cedar. The drill press started fine, then about 1/16 into the board, the drill slowed down. I removed the presure from the drill. but the drill was still going slow. I turned off the motor, and turned it back on a few more times. Most of the time, it only turned slowly, but a few times it started fast, and then slowed down. I quit working on it when the motor started smoking. The drill press is only a couple of years old, and not used much. Any Ideas what may be going on here? This is a very pampered tool. I thought maybe the start capacitor has gone bad, but really don't know much about it. Thanks in advance for the help.

Peter Quinn
07-06-2008, 6:52 PM
Humm. I have worked my Delta drill press like a one legged mule pulling a loaded wagon uphill in a snow storm. Hard. Can you picture Scotty from Star Trek in the back ground screaming "I'm givin it all she's got Captain!"

Anyway, never a problem. My first though is are the belts tensioned properly? Have you tried spinning the motor with the belts off and no load? Does the chuck spin freely by hand with belts off?

If the motor won't spin under no load with belts off, and there is no restriction in the chuck or other drive pulleys, then I'm thinking electrical which I can't help with.

Ben Cadotte
07-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Sounds like you let all the smoke out. :rolleyes: Sorry couldnt resist.

Anyway I am thinking motor due to the fact it was originally up to operating speed and then slowed down.

Anthony Whitesell
07-07-2008, 11:13 AM
I'd start with a seized bearing or bushing. Start by removing the belts and trying to turn everything by hand until you find the culprit.

Lee Schierer
07-07-2008, 11:50 AM
If the motor has a lump on the side it has a starting capacitor. Most likely it died. They do that now and then. Should cost you about $20 at any motor supply house. Take the old motor and capacitor with with you and they will test it for you!