PDA

View Full Version : Table saw problem

David Tiell
07-06-2008, 2:58 PM
I've got a W1711 5 HP Shop Fox table saw. According to the plate on it, it was made in 2002, so it's about 6 years old. I tried to turn it on earlier today several times. Every time, the blade would barely turn, and it would just buzz until the protection circuitry turned it off. Is this an indicatio the capacitor is going, or maybe something else? And if it is the capacitor, is that something I can change easily myself, or should I pull the motor and take it into a local motor repair shop?

Thanks for any help anybody can give.

Dave

Carroll Courtney
07-06-2008, 3:52 PM
First I would check to see if you have 220v going to the motor (if it is 220v) using a meter.Second,check to see if the capacitor is abnormal.Do this step with the power off.Sometimes the motor will get full of dust and all the electrical boxes so check that as well.Good Luck and let SMCer's know.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-06-2008, 4:14 PM
I agree with Carroll.
The capacitor should be the first stop.

Alan Schaffter
07-06-2008, 9:18 PM
Also check the centrifugal switch- that can cause start problems if it doesn't engage properly- check the contacts and springs. I had a pitted contacts on the centrifugal switch on my 3 hp DC motor and had the same symptoms. I filed and polished the contacts and it has worked fine ever since.

Lee Schierer
07-07-2008, 12:20 PM
What tune is it humming? Sorry couldn't resist...

Check the capacitor. If the motor is acccessible remove the belts, wrap a cord around the pulley in the direction the motor runs, pull the cord like starting a lawn mower and hit the switch while it is spinning. If the motor runs, it was the capacitor.

Don't wrap the cord around your hand when doing this.

Charlie Schultz
07-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Does your saw have a mag-switch type starter? If so, is the humming coming from the motor or the starter? I've had a similar problem and it turned out to be dust getting in the starter switch (be sure to unplug the AC before investigating that).

Rod Sheridan
07-07-2008, 1:32 PM
Hi, it could be the centrifugal switch, an open starting capacitor, an open start or run winding, or a broken or disconnected wire.

You cannot determine which of the above problem you have without resorting to a multimeter and some investigation...........Rod.

Prashun Patel
07-07-2008, 1:34 PM
Dumb question: does the blade spin freely when the power's off? Is anything jammed against the blade or the arbor shaft?